• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq's offcially at Wednesday OTAs

O-Ther

I think many Huddlers will be disappointed with Shaq's play this season.

With the role he will play and the fact that he will be learning basically a new position, I see him flashing how good he can be at times....but looking lost at others.

I think it will be a couple of seasons before we see the player that the Panthers envision as a 1st round pick.

Hope I am wrong. and he balls out this season.

100% agree

With the role he will play and the fact that he will be learning basically a new position, I see him flashing how good he can be at times....but looking lost at others.

I think it will be a couple of seasons before we see the player that the Panthers envision as a 1st round pick.

​I can see this happening too. I hope he's mainly used in packages that don't ask a lot and use his strengths. He'll be a hell of a STer if he sees any time there. 

I've never been this ill-informed of a 1st round pick in the 20 years of watching this team.  I feel like I don't know him, haven't seen him and worst of all I don't seem to care.  The apathy towards this pick concerns me.

You sat next to me on the couch and I told you he was the pick. That should ease any concerns you have. Just kidding ....I don't know poo so be worried.

With the role he will play and the fact that he will be basically learning a new position, I see him flashing how good he can be at times....but looking lost at others.

Always possible with rookies.  Wouldn't at all be surprised.  Nor would I be too terribly disappointed.

Makes no difference.  It would still be an illlegal forward pass.

Thanks for not being snarky. Haha.  

​New to the game?

no sir. I genuinely thought this was the rule, that if a player has the ball and they cease forward progress to take a few steps back and throw the ball, it was perfectly legal to throw a forward pass. The key being that they took the ball backward from its furthest extent of forward progress.

Makes no difference..........I'm wondering why you think that running backward would change something?

I thought as a play advances down the field, barring penalty, the line of scrimmage theoretically follows the ball. Thus, if someone stops advancing the ball and takes a step back, they are technically still behind the line of scrimmage can legally throw a forward pass. 

I'm not afraid to admit that I'm wrong y'all. I guess I was just confused about the rule. Your tomato-chucking can stop now...

The way it's been explained to me is shaq allows us to not show our hand. He will be a three down backer. He's quick and agile enough to cover nickel roles as well as being a run stopper. Qbs won't be able to gear up on us as much especially spread offenses. And we play quite a few elite spread offenses this year.

think Kam Chancellor. 

If Shaq can come in and provide valuable snaps on defense early this year which I believe he will. That will makes our already elite defense that much better this season. His role will allow us to play a lot more base 4-3 like Seattle, and having a third LB on field will make it that much hard for QB's to identify coverages because Shaq can really cover. QB's have to be weary of Shaq because he is a very explosive playmaker. One big mistake or communication issue could potentially be a huge hit or a pick six for Shaq. I'm very excited just thinking about it.

no sir. I genuinely thought this was the rule, that if a player has the ball and they cease forward progress to take a few steps back and throw the ball, it was perfectly legal to throw a forward pass. The key being that they took the ball backward from its furthest extent of forward progress.

I thought as a play advances down the field, barring penalty, the line of scrimmage theoretically follows the ball. Thus, if someone stops advancing the ball and takes a step back, they are technically still behind the line of scrimmage can legally throw a forward pass. 

I'm not afraid to admit that I'm wrong y'all. I guess I was just confused about the rule. Your tomato-chucking can stop now...

​If the player willfully takes a step back, then that becomes the line of scrimmage.

Forward progress only works when forced backward by an opposing player.

However, no matter how you slice it, you can't throw a forward pass unless you are on offense behind the original line of scrimmage.

​What?  Have you even watched football before?

The LOS does not change until the play is dead and the new LOS is established. 

Archived