• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The last OTA practice of 2015 was both the hottest and the practice with the least enthusiasm. With Ron Rivera in California for his daughters graduation, the Panthers seemed to lose focus. It showed both in their demeanor and on the field. 

It was a rough day for Cam Newton. After looking pristine for most of the OTA sessions, today he looked off kilter. Many of his end zone passes were high. His long throws either short or long. 

Colin Jones made the play of the day, intercepting Cam Newton in the red zone and taking it for what would have been a pick six. Cam Newton was visibly unhappy about the interception, and tried chasing Jones down.... without luck. 

Colin Jones also made a beautiful break on a ball from Newton later in the practice, nearly intercepting another ball meant for Ted Ginn on a curl route. 

Yes, Colin Jones is my player of the day. The first defensive player of the day I have named... which should tell you how the day went. 

Other Notes: 

- Brandon Williams struggled as he dropped a catchable 30 yard bomb from Cam Newton. Williams had both hands on the ball, but could not hold on. 

- Devin Funchess had more second string snaps today, due to Kelvin Benjamin being back on the field. Funchess did get a few first string reps in. When with the second string, he appeared to be running many of the same routes as Benjamin did with the first string. 

- Cam's sure fire connection to Greg Olsen was just not there today. Both targets in the end zone soared well above Olsen's head. 

- Both linebacker draft picks, Thompson and Mayo, spent time in the second string together. 

- Stephen Hill mainly played with the second string, no plays of note to mention. 

View full article

• Pie 3

​Yes. 

I interviewed Corey after practice. Full writeup tomorrow. 

​Much appreciated.

Is there any chance Philly impresses enough (or Funchess disappoints enough) that he starts out the year as #2 on the depth chart? Many have already penned in Funchess as the week 1 starter opposite KB, which I hope is the case, but I'm not 100% sure it's a given. Obviously it's just non-contact OTAs, but I'm just curious.

It was nice to meet Jeremy and KJ89 today. I now know why the players seemed a little upset after practice. Olsen didn't stop but for a second. A few signed stuff  though but luke and Josh took the most time but even they seemed rushed. 

​Well, its the last practice of the week. Many have flights to catch. 

• Pie 1

​Much appreciated.

Is there any chance Philly impresses enough (or Funchess disappoints enough) that he starts out the year as #2 on the depth chart? Many have already penned in Funchess as the week 1 starter opposite KB, which I hope is the case, but I'm not 100% sure it's a given. Obviously it's just non-contact OTAs, but I'm just curious.

​Stop calling him Philly, he doesn't like it. 

I asked him about Devin. That will be in the writeup tomorrow. 

• Pie 2

Way to show respect for a man.

​I hardly think he would feel disrespected by some random fan on a Panthers message board calling him a nickname that his own teammates use. Especially when that individual is possibly his biggest supporter in the entire fan base. If I were to meet him, I'd address him as Mr. Brown or Corey or whatever the hell he prefers. But he'll always be "Philly" to me when I see him play and when I talk about him on the field. Already imprinted in my brain.

• Pie 2