• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Josh Norman and the Carolina Panthers making a statement in 2015

PhillyB

Prompted by a welling of support for the removal of the Confederate flag from South Carolina's capitol grounds, the Carolina Panthers issued a statement condemning the flag's presence one of the states it represents. The Observer reports:

“Our organization prides itself on bringing people together,” Panthers spokesman Steven Drummond said in a text to the Observer. “Divisive symbols and actions should not stand in conflict to progress, healing and the unification of all our citizens.”

Like any organization sitting under public scrutiny from a variety of sources, the Panthers have been careful about staking any position on social issues, and it's no surprise they waited until the clamor grew to a crescendo before denouncing the flag, but it's a huge move. Something this wouldn't happen without Jerry Richardson signing off on it, and he's done exactly that on top of donating $100k to the survivors' families a few days previously.

Cornerback Josh Norman weighed in too, as a long-time South Carolina citizen:

Norman, an African-American, said he just accepted seeing the flag “flapping in the wind in the back of the truck beds and (on) bumper stickers” as a way of life growing up.

“So when it comes to the flag, that’s nothing new,” Norman said in a statement to the Observer. “That’s what it’s been since day one in the South. But don’t get it twisted. I love S.C. and wouldn’t change from calling it my home.

“But some things from our culture from the past just have to change and stay in the past. it shines a very bad light on what’s so much future promise and progress for our state. And it’s just so very sad to see lives have to be taken for this issue or topic to have lights placed upon it.

“The world would be a much more bright and vibrant place to live and coexist as one people, one nation under God. I love my state of S.C. Always have and always will. And we will become better people from it all.”

Re

As somebody that wants the flag to be taken down (among other things) I hate when sport franchises take "positions" on these issues. They could ban the flag from the games or whatever but they're in no position to influence policy. The Phoenix Suns did the same thing a few years ago when the immigration debate took over Arizona, even going as far as wearing "Los Suns" jerseys. Sports are supposed to be OUR escape from the shitty world we live in, not a constant reminder. This will only further divide people, and this thread is going to the tinderbox.

if sc fails to take down the flag the panthers should change their name to the charlotte panthers and put the logo at the 50 and sign david gettis

South Carolina is already 'Steelers' country anyway so it's unlikely they'll notice

As somebody that wants the flag to be taken down (among other things) I hate when sport franchises take "positions" on these issues. They could ban the flag from the games or whatever but they're in no position to influence policy. The Phoenix Suns did the same thing a few years ago when the immigration debate took over Arizona, even going as far as wearing "Los Suns" jerseys. Sports are supposed to be OUR escape from the shitty world we live in, not a constant reminder. This will only further divide people, and this thread is going to the tinderbox.

You can also play the other side of the coin and say since they have so much influence and viewership that instead of standing back they use the opportunity to talk about an issue to help start a conversation

You can also play the other side of the coin and say since they have so much influence and viewership that instead of standing back they use the opportunity to talk about an issue to help start a conversation

Not enough conversation about it? The debate can be found anywhere and its fuggin anoying

The issue is everywhere though. Again, we don't need to be reminded of the issues that plagued our society everywhere we go. If I turn on ESPN, I want to see a guy get dunked on, or a homerun, a touchdown etc and just for a second escape all of the troubles in my life.If I want to hear about the flag debate, CNN, MSNBC, Fox etc are all covering it.

I'm glad the Panthers have voiced their support for the removal of the flag. Not only is it the right stance to take, but hopefully the influence of the organization can be another reason for the SC legislators to consider it's removal.

It's not about heritage, the flag represents rebellion and hate. Go read the Constitution of the Confederacy if you have any questions about their motivations for leaving the Union. Not only that, but the flag only went up in the first place as a middle finger to the Civil Rights movement, disgraceful that it is still flying in 2015.

I'm proud of the Panthers for being on the right side of this issue, and screw any white trash fans they might lose over this. They were probably Redskins/Cowboys fans anyways.

It's not about the flag. Just like it's not about guns. Flags don't kill people. Guns don't kill people. Flags don't incite violence. People do all these things. 

Maximum freedom. Maximum responsibility. I could care less if everyone in SC flies the stars and bars proudly. I could care less if the KKK, ISIS, or the Neo Nazis fly their flags in public. No one has the right to not be offended. We ALL have the responsibility to LOVE our fellow man, regardless of what beliefs or heritage they adhere to.

It's not about the flag. Just like it's not about guns. Flags don't kill people. Guns don't kill people. Flags don't incite violence. People do all these things. 

Maximum freedom. Maximum responsibility. I could care less if everyone in SC flies the stars and bars proudly. I could care less if the KKK, ISIS, or the Neo Nazis fly their flags in public. No one has the right to not be offended. We ALL have the responsibility to LOVE our fellow man, regardless of what beliefs or heritage they adhere to.

The problem here is the actual state government, that is supposed to represent everyone in that state, flies the flag. We aren't talking about the public, we aren't talking about a club or church. We are talking about the government. Should a US government be allowed to fly a non-US flag that obviously is a slap in the face to so many of its citizens. 

The problem here is the actual state government, that is supposed to represent everyone in that state, flies the flag. We aren't talking about the public, we aren't talking about a club or church. We are talking about the government. Should a US government be allowed to fly a non-US flag that obviously is a slap in the face to so many of its citizens. 

there are some interesting parallels to this argument and the argument for changing the redskins' name, it's worth noting

Archived