• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coming to terms with the Frank Kaminsky pick...

Jeremy Igo

Anyone that says MKG will never be a factor on offense shouldn't be allowed to talk about basketball. People see that picture of his jumper from like 2 years ago and just assume he can't shoot. Shot is completely different and he displayed a really solid midrange game last year. Plua he's a monster at slashing to the rim. And he's only 21!!!! 

After some time to reflect, this is why I like the pick:

-He can score! What a novel idea for for a basketball team.  He can shoot the 3 well and drive to the basket.  He will be tough to guard on the perimeter.

-He has ridiculous ball handling skills for a 7 footer. He uses a stutter step and spin move to beat his man.  He has experience as a PG and can see the floor.

-He has gotten better and added body mass every single year in college.  There's no reason to think he can't continue towards 245-250 in the big boy gym.

-4 yrs of college ball means he should be able to come in and play his first year. Not considered a "project".

His biggest concerns, which have been discussed here ad nauseam, are defense and playing through contact in the post.  Ewing should be able to help him become less of a liability on D.  His perimeter game should open up driving lanes to the basket .

Think what McBob did for this team.  Kaminsky has the same type of game as McBob.  Add his fire to that skill set and I think he COULD have a major impact on our win column.  Clearly no one can see the future of any draft pick, but this is where I'm at with Kaminsky at this moment.

Scouts have highlighted that as a negative. Professional ball isn't the same. The athleticism he'll be facing is much different. Wisconsin fans agree with the nickname for two reasons:

- Because of his shooting prowess 

- Because he's stiff and slow.

And yet he's shown regression. Didn't his stats take a significant dip last season? I mean, if he's improved on his shooting that much then why isn't he involved on the offensive side more?

Judging by the MKG criticism on this site, well over half the The Huddle shouldn't be talking about Basketball then. I don't remember who exactly made this quote on here (paraphrased) but it sums up MKG:

"The only impact MKG will ever have on our offense if we're lucky is two jumpers, and a couple tip-ins, dunks and free throws a game."

MKG is a premier defender but his offense will always be limited. I mean, this is coming from a fanbase that labeled him a massive disappointment and is ready to say goodbye to him in an instant (just as recent as draft night).

His stats didn't dip last season, he was above NBA average in mid range game percentage, his driving and transition offense was still good and his defense was elite. His ft% was also above 70% on the year and nearly 80 after the break. The team averaged more points and gave up less with him on the court as well. Also he averaged nearly 9 shots a game last season and shot 46% from the field. Oh and the team had a winning record with him and an abysmal loosing record without him. He is with out a doubt the most important player on the team as far as wins and losses are concerned.

I must have been looking at his 2014 stats.

I'm only echoing what you guys say on here. The status quo apparently is MKG is what you guys had hoped for on the defensive side but not offensively. As the second overall pick, he's everything you need as a squad that values defense (similar to Indiana) over offense. He's a fine fourth or fifth option in my opinion. However, the odds of him being as effective and impactful as Butler or Green or Leonard on the other side are slim. So long as Charlotte values defense, MKG will be a staple and a valuable piece.

To be honest, I don't know what to make out of the Hornet fanbase. You guys seem to be happy with his defensive contributions but the moment he has a poor showing on offense (which is gonna happen a lot), you guys want him traded. Yet, these fans are aware that MKG is not a good second or third option.

The whole idea surrounding trading MKG on draft night was under the assumption that we were still trying to get up to pick 4 if D'Angelo Russell fell in the draft. No one on the team is untouchable IMO but if we give up MKG we better get a surefire All-Star in return.

Where the pick is on the board and the ultimate impact of the player is irrelevant if the draft isn't very good as we saw in both the 2012 and 2013 drafts. Past Davis, you could argue MKG has made the second greatest impact to his team in that draft, since without him we would be right there with Minnesota and Philly.

Rich Cho's drafts to this point outside of the Kemba pick were built off the promise of the best potential available and look where it got us. Unfortunately, time is running out. The ASG is coming and Curry is going to be a free agent in 2017 on a championship caliber squad. We can't wait around for that potential that may never show itself.

I still think had you guys drafted Winslow, MJ wouldn't have traded Kidd-Gilchrist away. Justise is a hybrid player, so he could play the SG and SF roles. Three years of investment, MKG has repaid The Hornets with being a Top 10 defender. You don't trade someone like that unless you change your identity and scheme.

Cho and MJ just have to hope Frank develops into Dirk-lite because he will be replacing Big Al. Adding Monroe would help tremendously though. That said, I'd save every penny for Curry (similar to what The Heat are currently doing for Durant). Golden State isn't gonna let him go without a fight.

Winslow fits perfectly with what the Heat are trying to do in replacing Deng. In this system, he'd be playing out of position and be stuck behind Batum. Had we known Justise would be there, the Batum trade probably doesn't get made.

It's all a matter of where the franchise is in the rebuilding process. I really think winning the ASG is what changed this whole process. All of a sudden "just be flexible and keep your potential high" turned into needing to make up for lost time.

Ironically what ended up happening last season is the fanbase began accepting that we had bad luck with injuries and the like that led to last season and held on to the fact that we still had flexibility. Had we wound up with an "all in" roster like this last season we'd all be stoked!

Archived