• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rival Review - New Orleans Saints

Jeremy Igo

You get what I was saying lol. I know they didn't trade him for a dominant Oline. Just traded him to help bolster the Oline.

Eagles call and offer Peters and their 1st for Olsen, you don't take it?

Depends entirely on who we would be replacing Olsen with. Though he is a TE, he is arguably at times our #1 WR, and Newton's favorite target, not to mention a great locker room presence. Also, our #2 TE is currently Ed Dickson. Um yeah, that speaks for itself.

I mean, I would consider it. But, Peters, and a 1st? That's a fantasy Madden trade.

You can make the "well receivers can't catch passes without an OL" argument, and there is a flipside to that too, having a top OL doesn't mean much if you have pass catchers with stone hands out there. I'm obviously well aware of the Panthers OL struggles, but even with that in mind, I still wouldn't make the kind of terribly one sided trade the Saints made. You're either getting better, or you're getting worse. The Saints got worse.

Depends entirely on who we would be replacing Olsen with. Though he is a TE, he is arguably at times our #1 WR, and Newton's favorite target, not to mention a great locker room presence. Also, our #2 TE is currently Ed Dickson. Um yeah, that speaks for itself.

I mean, I would consider it. But, Peters, and a 1st? That's a fantasy Madden trade.

You can make the "well receivers can't catch passes without an OL" argument, and there is a flipside to that too, having a top OL doesn't mean much if you have pass catchers with stone hands out there. I'm obviously well aware of the Panthers OL struggles, but even with that in mind, I still wouldn't make the kind of terribly one sided trade the Saints made. You're either getting better, or you're getting worse. The Saints got worse.

Fair enough. I just think it's the differences in the way two franchises think. The Saints, under Payton and Brees, have always valued the interior of the line higher than tackles. The LT position has been switched 3 or 4 times since Brees has been here. We've had two LGs (about to be 3) and 1 RG in that time. The center position has changed a lot, but it's usually a high end player there as well, until the last 2 years.

One of the biggest reasons Brees struggled at times last year was because of interior protection. Inside pressure has always bothered Drew, probably because of his size. The Saints know he's at his best when he's able to drop back and then climb the pocket. They made that a priority this offseason.

No one will know whether they got better or worse until they get on the field.

• Pie 1

There hasn't been a whisper about Grayson being selected because everyone knows Brees is getting up in age. We've all wanted a replacement in place for a couple of years now, to learn from one of the best in the business. I'm on record as saying Drew cost us too many games last year, but I'm not ready to hop on the Drew Brees has fallen off a cliff train like most here. 

From what I saw (which is basically 2-3 games) it looked like most of Brees' mistakes came from forcing the ball when the Saints were losing and then getting picked off as a result. It seemed like if the defense could have kept it closer than Brees' may not have thrown as many desperation INTs. Also, is Terron Armstead a starting OL for the Saints? Is he better now? Because all I remember is Hardy ruining him in 2013 during his first start at LT.

Rob Gronkowski says hello. Also, the Patriots traded 6 time Pro Bowler Logan Mankins to Tampa Bay before the season even started. They still won the Super Bowl.

Now I know the Patriots are a differently run organization, but a legitimate game changer at TE is pretty much always going to be more valuable than an offensive lineman. Can you even name one guy on the Patriots OL? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I did see Gronkowski showing up big for his team when they needed it in the Super Bowl.

So again, you can rationalize this if you want, but it's a huge downgrade.

to be fair, the Mankins trade was terrible on the Pats part. They won the SB despite the move, not because of it.

From what I saw (which is basically 2-3 games) it looked like most of Brees' mistakes came from forcing the ball when the Saints were losing and then getting picked off as a result. It seemed like if the defense could have kept it closer than Brees' may not have thrown as many desperation INTs. Also, is Terron Armstead a starting OL for the Saints? Is he better now? Because all I remember is Hardy ruining him in 2013 during his first start at LT.

to be fair, the Mankins trade was terrible on the Pats part. They won the SB despite the move, not because of it.

Drew definitely pressed too much last year. And he's always been a guy that will throw one out there instead of take a sack, so when the pressure increases, so do the boneheaded throws. 

Armstead is the starter at LT and has performed well after the first half of his first game. I didn't really understand the need to throw him in the fire against one of the premier rushers in football, but it wasn't my call lol. Hardy racked up 3 sacks in the first half and none in the second. Armstead got hurt late in the year last year and his prescense was missed.

Everything in football seems to start at the line. I think the saints improved their OL markedly. You give Drew Brees time he still has the talent to hit his receiver regardless of whether he has Jimmy Graham or not. CJ Spiller is a really good back IF he stays healthy, which he hasn't been able to do. I think they still have enough to compete for the division. I don't think their D has the ability to shut teams out, but I think they'll be able to score points. Regardless, F the Saints in the A.

• 2 months later...