• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers.com spotlights Lee Ward

Mr. Scot

Rookie FB Ward positioned for success

I like this quote...

"I would love to get the ball on an occasional handoff," Ward said. "But I'm a bruising, blocking fullback – someone who opens up running lanes, kind of like a road grader."

And this one...

"I think I would have thrived with the opportunity, but I was just never given that – not even in practice," Ward said. "But when you're on a team, you love seeing your team succeed, and I loved being the bodyguard for those guys.

"I think I can continue the role I had at Stanford and help open running lanes for the great runners we have on this team, be a good pass protector and catch the ball out of the backfield as well."

More...

Ward has an excellent mentor in Tolbert, who scored seven touchdowns in 2013 to earn his first Pro Bowl nod before missing half of last season with a knee injury.

"Mike has been great. We actually have the same agent," Ward said. "He's been helping me a lot, trying to teach me every little aspect of the game. He's been a great teacher.

"I'm looking forward to him working with me more and trying to become the type of fullback he is because he's arguably the best fullback in the game."

It's going to be tough to get him on the 53 if we keep Tolbert which seems likely unless he can serve double duty as a blocking TE.  Would love to be able to stash him on the practice squad to take over from Tolbert down the road.

I think there's at least some possibility that Mike Tolbert, Richie Brockel and Lee Ward are three guys fighting for two roster spots.

I am glad there is competition and whoever wins will each bring something to the team that compelled them to keep them. It should make preseason games worth watching this year as the quality of the depth improves.  It will be nice to have a roster where everyone can come in and fill the hole without a ton of drop off when needed. It might make it easier for our coaches to teach the nuances of the game instead of focusing on teaching jags the basics because they are so raw and inexperienced. 

Archived