• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trophy Nation: How handing out trophies, regardless of success, may cause failure.

nctarheel0619

as a parent who already spends hundreds of dollars on soccer for my 3 year old and 4 year old, it's actually pretty nice to see the kids get something tangible like a medal or a small prize at the end of the time period.  Makes it feel slightly less like I'm throwing money down the toilet.

So sports are now considered a wast of money? SMH

I'll never understand why 40yr old men have an aneurysm over kids getting trophies at the end of the season. It's not like they're getting trophies for every game. It's one trophy after an entire season.

Most of those clowns don't even remember what it's like to be 7yr old. I can't think of anybody that has shown me their 3rd grade Tee-ball trophy and said that they could've played in the majors O.o

lol Yes because everyone loses their entire memory at 39... It's a real pain. I couldn't care less whether or not everyone gets a trophy esp with really young kids, my gripe was always with the "everyone's a winner" mentality that was preached to the kids. I'm all for encouraging kids to do their best and try at everything but it should be rationed with the reality that no, everyone is most certainly not a winner and that's OK. My kids were never that interested in sports, yet I always encouraged them and never forced them to play if they didn't want to even though I played every sport I could... They're simply into different things and I'm fine with that.

hopefully this selfish, tech-addled generation of me-bots won't screw up the great, totally not war and poverty-stricken, egalitarian, environmentally sound collection of societies the much-better one-trophy generations have left us

why don't you go ahead and share with the rest of us where the tech addled part came from

the flavor of all your posts

It would take a left winged extremist nut who saw the OPs shot at our society's brief and passing  obsession with political correctness as, by extension, a shot at liberalism itself to argue that competitiveness (and war) in our society and our history has resulted in anything but the most incredible and marvelous technological advancements mankind has ever put forth

wnat a train wreck of a society, discovering new continents, building machines that can do the impossible and visiting other celestial bodies

"yeah but growl they still wave flags and stuff uggh" *drinks coffee* *wears glasses indoors* *puts on Coldplay* 

For the hatred of the machine, some have really really really benefited from it. Some should go shadow HR for a few months and do job interviews. You will be able to tell by the 14th uhh in the interview if they are use to getting trophies just for showing up. I know several millennials that fold like lawn chairs at either the first sign of adversity or when the group doesn't run with thier idea to the bank. Character doesn't come from the trophy to everyone approach. Some perks or rewards for some accomplishments is cool. But we have seen the bad side of the everyone's a winner self esteem sham. I mean we get pie for making comments.

It would take a left winged extremist nut who saw the OPs shot at our society's brief and passing  obsession with political correctness as, by extension, a shot at liberalism itself to argue that competitiveness (and war) in our society and our history has resulted in anything but the most incredible and marvelous technological advancements mankind has ever put forth

wnat a train wreck of a society, discovering new continents, building machines that can do the impossible and visiting other celestial bodies

"yeah but growl they still wave flags and stuff uggh" *drinks coffee* *wears glasses indoors* *puts on Coldplay* 

what are you talking about?

Who cares if kids get a small trophy for participation?  This is howling at the moon bullshit that really has no real world impact.

I got participation ribbons for swim meets when I was a child.

This is dumb.  

If I looked back on my kids childhood and somehow conclude that their shortcomings in life are due to participation trophies from pee wee soccer then I am a big fugging asshole parent. Imo there is some merit to the "participation trophy" metaphor as I do think too many parents reward kids for stupid stuff these days and kids get away with too much crap but I can only fix and control that which is under my roof.

Archived