• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Training Camp Notes and Photos - Day 4

Jeremy Igo

- Mario Addison - Addison may be the most improved defensive player on the roster. I am very impressed what he has brought so far. He appears to be well ahead of Kony Ealy at this point. 

View full article

I had almost resigned myself that the battle for the starting position was really only between Kony and Frank.  We know Mario can rush the passer, but can he stop the rush?

How are Kony and Frank looking?

• Pie 1

My wife just asked who the honey was with the big red beard? 

I said, who, that guy?

Yeah..

Remmers?

I guess so, he looks like you with a big red beard.

Ok, so apparently my wife still thinks I'm hot (score!) but that I look like Remmers...  Maybe my wife has an eclectic taste?

Thomas Davis was taking a veterans day off. However, he still managed to act as an additional coach of sorts, helping rookie linebacker David Mayo at times. 

This is really encouraging. I do hope that Davis can transition into our linebackers coach when he decides to hang up the cleats. if he wants to coach, that is...

Dave Gettleman kept a watchful eye over practice, and was joined by aspiring GM but current Panthers safety Roman Harper at times. 

Learning from the best. 

Ted Ginn continues to impress in camp. When asked today if he was still the fastest guy on the field, he answered in the affirmative. 

I am so excited for him this season. not just for punt returns. He has reeled in some amazing catches that make my heart pound as i imagine him doing that to the Saints in the Vault. 

The Panthers offense struggled early today, mainly due to poor offensive line play. Cam Newton scrambled out of the pocket more than once, something Panthers fans have gotten quite used to seeing. Newton was visibly upset for a brief moment, expressing to his offense they would need to pick up their game. 

I noticed this too. thanks for elaborating. i couldnt tell from the hill what exactly he was upset about, but i heard him yell as he ran out of bounds. 

This may be redundant, but Kelvin Benjamin continues to make plays. At some point I may stop reporting this, as you can probably just take it as a given. 

Our receiving corps is going to be legit this year. and just think, last offseason we were all freaking out because Agent 89 wasnt a Panther anymore. 

Gamecocks product Damiere Byrd had his best day of camp so far. Damiere is proving himself not only a deep threat that the team desperately needs, but also a weapon on the end arounds. His end around run today was the prettiest of camp so far. 

I am really really high on this kid. With Hill's injury, it just got easier for Byrd to make the roster, as i hope he does. 

Besides, we need a Gamecock on this roster again anyway. ;)

Brenton Bersin continues to field second string punts, and guess what.... he looks pretty good. Many people are hard on Bersin for last year's punt return performance. They forget, however, that Bersin had zero punt return reps in practices up until he was asked to field them in a live game. Punt returning is 100% about repetition, without it no player would do well. 

This is such good news. i am really excited for our special teams play.

Michael Oher improved from his lackluster performance yesterday, although he did have help at times. As many have pointed out, if the Panthers can get Oher to just the level of serviceable, it will be an upgrade over last season. 

More good news. Oher doesnt have to be a world beater. he just needs to be average. that means he will get beat badly sometimes. and other times he will "blind side" a d-lineman. yes... i know. im lame. lol.

Jordan Todman was fighting a stomach bug but still practiced in between trips to the sideline to vomit and hydrate. You have to admire his resolve. Todman is not a lock to make this roster, and he knows every snap counts. 

i saw that. poor guy. i do admire his drive to push through it and get the reps in.

- Mario Addison - Addison may be the most improved defensive player on the roster. I am very impressed what he has brought so far. He appears to be well ahead of Kony Ealy at this point. 

Do you think Addison or Big Frank will win the RDE spot? who is in the lead atm?

- Lee Ward - Caught a nice ball out in the flat, made some killer blocks in pass protection. 

I am fully on his hype train. a lead blocker will do wonders for this offense. 

i keep saying this, but i am so excited for this iteration of the Carolina Panthers. this team is going to compete. and to think, this isnt the best we are going to be ;)

If Bersin is our second punt returner going into the season, we got some issues if Ginn gets hurt.  

Did you even read what Jeremy wrote about Bersin? He is improving. even looks good. i think having DeHaven running the show is helping, and thats an exciting thing. 

speaking of DeHaven... praying for him. still battling cancer. Keep Pounding Coach.

• Pie 2