• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The First Hall of Fame Inductee from the Carolina Panthers is...

Toker Smurf

Barring some major developments, Smitty is gonna have a hard time getting into the Hall of Fame at all, much less on the first ballot.

I agree that - again, barring something unforeseen and assuming he continues to play like he does now - Luke Kuechly will probably be the first guy who was drafted here and played out his entire career here to go into the Hall of Fame as a Panther.

Mind you, I could see someone making a push for Thomas Davis, but it might be an uphill battle. Heck, even Sam Mills isn't getting much push.

there is a 0% chance steve smith is a first ballot Hall of Famer. It took Tim Brown this long to get in. Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt aren't in yet. I can't even begin to understand how Marvin Harrison is not in yet. Cris Carter did not make it first ballot and I'm pretty sure neither did Michael Irvin. 

lol at Bruce and Holt. Smith is going to destroy both of their statistical output and neither of the two are likely to get in at all. They have no relevance to this discussion

Barring some major developments, Smitty is gonna have a hard time getting into the Hall of Fame at all, much less on the first ballot.

I agree that - again, barring something unforeseen and assuming he continues to play like he does now - Luke Kuechly will probably be the first guy who was drafted here and played out his entire career here to go into the Hall of Fame as a Panther.

Mind you, I could see someone making a push for Thomas Davis, but it might be an uphill battle. Heck, even Sam Mills isn't getting much push.

If Steve Smith is going to have a hard time, there is absolutely zero way that I see Thomas Davis making it. Zero.
I love his ability and what he stands for, but he's never hands down been in the discussion nationally for the best at his position (though we know he is/can be).

lol at Bruce and Holt. Smith is going to destroy both of their statistical output and neither of the two are likely to get in at all. They have no relevance to this discussion

He's still got a ways to go to top Bruce, but he's already passed Holt.

If Steve can put up 2 more 1,000 yard seasons then he'll be up there with Bruce... but then again, Bruce has the ring over him... and will likely still lead him in TDs as well.

If Moss and TO don't get in on the 1st ballot... then it's going to make even damn harder for WRs to get in.  Those guys are easily statistically the #2 and #3 WRs behind Rice.

All 3 of those bastards also had great QB play their entire careers... as have guys like Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne.

What's going to be really unbearable is when Wes Welker's ass starts getting HOF consideration, because he played with Brady and Manning literally his entire career.

He's still got a ways to go to top Bruce, but he's already passed Holt.

If Steve can put up 2 more 1,000 yard seasons then he'll be up there with Bruce... but then again, Bruce has the ring over him... and will likely still lead him in TDs as well.

Smitty might come back to Charlotte for one last year......and get that ring.

If Steve Smith is going to have a hard time, there is absolutely zero way that I see Thomas Davis making it. Zero.I love his ability and what he stands for, but he's never hands down been in the discussion nationally for the best at his position (though we know he is/can be).

On his own, probably not.

But Davis might have a chance at something Smith probably won't.

An advocate.

A fair number of guys get into the Hall of Fame because someone - usually a Hall of Fame voter and/or a member of the media - champions their cause and campaigns really hard for their entry.

Now, I could see someone doing that for Thomas Davis.

A media guy campaigning for Smith, though? Not so likely

If Steve can get 2,800 more yards then it'll greatly help his chances.  That'll put him at 16,000 receiving yards, and in sole company with Jerry Rice as the only receivers with 16k+ receiving yards.

At some point his return yards have to be accounted for too.  He has an additional 4,000+ return yards and 6 return TDs.  16,000 receiving yards and 4,000 return yards would put him at 20,000 all purpose yardage, which would easily be 2nd most all time.  Hell, I think Rice is the only player in NFL history that's in any sort of 20,000 yard club.  So Steve would have a pretty nice elite claim if he joined that company.

edit: just checked, and Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, and Brian Mitchell also have 20,000+ all purpose yardage... all those guys aside from Mitchell are in the HOF.

If Steve can get 2,800 more yards then it'll greatly help his chances.  That'll put him at 16,000 receiving yards, and in sole company with Jerry Rice as the only receivers with 16k receiving yards.

At some point his return yards have to be accounted for too.  He has an additional 4,000+ return yards and 6 return TDs.  16,000 receiving yards and 4,000 return yards would put him at 20,000 all purpose yardage, which would easily be 2nd most all time.  Hell, I think Rice is the only player in NFL history that's in any sort of 20,000 yard club.  So Steve would have a pretty nice elite claim if he joined that company.

It would be a no brainer.

He'll finish out his Ravens contract with another 2 1000 yard receiving years then come back to the Panthers after we've won 2 straight and add on a couple of 600-700 yarders and a pair of rings to end with the 2nd most career receiving yards and 2 rings. First ballot. 

lol..

thanks, just made my day.

Archived