• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Roster Projection Update

Jeremy Igo

I lol'd.

You literally drove the David Gettis hype train dude.

Hey,  if you want to further that myth,  it's all good.  Choo choo!  My point back then was that he was the best during preseason,  and probably the best of the bunch besides 89 and 11.  He was never blown up by me.  Sure,  he's gone,  but so is AE and whoever.  

It's kind of funny,  but Gettis was more productive during his rookie year than Fozzy's and Brown's put together.  

Hey,  if you want to further that myth,  it's all good.  Choo choo!  My point back then was that he was the best during preseason,  and probably the best of the bunch besides 89 and 11.  He was never blown up by me.  Sure,  he's gone,  but so is AE and whoever.  

It's kind of funny,  but Gettis was more productive during his rookie year than Fozzy's and Brown's put together.  

Yeah surely he must be lighting the field up somewhere right now...

Or not. He lasted a whole 3 days on a CFL roster this year.

In all seriousness, I wish the guy luck.

Edited by TheRed

I like what i saw in the first episode of Panthers Confidential where Dave is meeting with the scouts and coaches and directs them to think about the best 53 men for the roster.  He says not to get caught up in positions but to look at the football player first.  No emotion, best players.  That is a great pillar to build your team atop of.

• Pie 6

I guess I haven't paid enough attention because I can't see Todman's different style being > than Fozzy's proven performance in-game.

And he looked good for more than just that one play this Fozzy slander needs to stop.

Todman has twice the career rushing yards and 50% more receiving yards in only 1 more year than Fozzy (and on the Jaguars to boot), plus twice the kickoff return yardage.  Not knocking Fozzy at all, but it's safe to say that Todman has been every bit as productive as Fozzy.

That said, I like Fozzy and hope he sticks around.  I'm also not watching every practice or reviewing every second of game film, so I trust the coaches.

• Pie 2

1)  I agree with much of this list, but I think we will keep Fozzy and only 9 OL.  3 RB's would leave us too thin at the position, especially with Stewart's injury history. 

2)  Byrd's and Ward's chances hinge on their play in preseason games.  If they both stand out and make plays throughout the preseason, then there is a chance Ward beats out Brockel and Byrd beats out Berson (or maybe Boykin if he wins the job instead).  But neither will make the team by looking great in practice but average or mediocre in the games.  Their practice play must translate to game play for either to have a chance.

3)  On defense, there is no way they will only keep 5 LB's.  I think Trusnik will make the team.  And Mayo, IMO, will not be a casualty.  The coaches saw something in him, and are certainly willing to be patient as he adjusts.

4)  I also don't see 6 CB's.   Maybe on a roster without so many quality players on the bubble, it might be possible, but on this team, I just don't see any way they keep that many.  I believe Byndom, White, and Heath are competing for 1 or maybe 2 spots.  One of them will be left out in the cold.

I am with you.

1) I say let Silatolu and Scott fight over 1 spot and keep the Fozz.

2) I, like several of you, are pulling for Ward over Brockel. Give me a guy that is good at one thing over a guy that is kind of okay at several things. I think that is really what I will be watching for in the preseason

3) Agree that we keep more LBs but I'm not ruling Glanton out as one of those that we keep. He showed some promise.

4) Does anyone know how these guys rank in terms of special teams ability? Speed? White seems well rounded but not great in coverage.

• Pie 1

I don't understand Rivera's affection with Joe Webb. I get the flexibility of keeping a player that can play WR and QB rather than having to sign a 3rd string QB, but, IMO, I don't think Webb brings more talent to our roster than the potential of losing Byrd or Ward. Webb had 1 reception for 16 yards and 2 kickoffs for 53 yards. I fail to see Byrd not being able to at least hit those marks.  I get that he doesn't play QB, but I really hope there's a way that we maximize the talent on the 53 man roster.