• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Watching a NFL Preseason Game

Jeremy Igo

The biggest thing I've come to assess fairly reliably in preseason is how the trenches perform.  Specifically, if our guys are moving the opposition's lines then that bodes very well for us.  Of course, the opposite is true as well.  There are gameplanning things that can be done to mitigate weaknesses and exploit strengths of course, but with vanilla gameplanning most of the time we are looking at one-on-one matchups.

Because Shula's offense is predicated on a successfull running attack, signs that this line will get push consistently is a severe thumbs up for us.  Bufallo's 1st string will be an excellent yardstick to see how we actually measure up.

I don't know. I am not sure how much we can really glean from a preseason game regarding the performance of any unit.   

I vaguely remember a preseason a few years ago in which our defensive line dominated, and lead the preseason in sacks.  And then it seems we had one of our worse seasons regarding defensive pressure.  I could be wrong though.

And how many games do we see during the season when a offensive line (or any other unit) starts out struggling and then settles down as the game goes on?  Since they will only be playing a few series, there is no time to settle down. 

IMO, its more interesting to see how various individuals perform, especially those that are borderline on making the team. 

Excellent advice....but I will still have my # 59 jersey on, my Panther flag displayed proudly on my front porch and the fridge stocked with cold ones  

I was wondering if I should fly my flag for a preseason game, couldn't remember if I flew it last year for preseason. I said fug it, it's going up!

• Pie 1

It is tricky. I assume zero game planning went on with the Saints. Especially on teams lacking in physical talent such as the Saints defense, game planning is everything. Superior coaching can make up for so many flaws. (not saying the Saints have superior defensive coaching, obviously they do not, just an example)

going to repost this in the other thread where they are arguing about whether to blame Shula or execution for our offensive struggles....

I love the preemptive nature of this thread.  It's better to stop the morons before they can get a full head of steam.

Zod be like...

away_from_me.thumb.gif.4f10859d7a61b1504

with the irrational, reactionary posters...

• Pie 1