• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Watching a NFL Preseason Game

Jeremy Igo

The NFL preseason has officially arrived. 

Here are a few rules for watching a NFL preseason game that will help keep your blood pressure in check. 

RULE 1 - Scores don't matter 

What's this? A football game where scores don't matter? Well, yes. A preseason game is a game in name only. A more accurate description would be a preseason "scrimmage in which individual performances are assessed". If a team scores zero points but comes away with loads of great information about their players... it is a win for that franchise. 

RULE 2 - Overreactions in either direction are silly

Every year, including this year, fans will draw sweeping conclusions and generalizations about their teams. "They didn't run it on 3rd and 1! What were they thinking!". Well, they were thinking they would like to have one particular play with specific personnel on film. That's it, that's all. If the play actually works, great, that's icing. 

RULE 3 - Individual performances are fair game

One thing that can be observed during preseason is the individual performance. One on one match ups do matter and absolutely can be an indicator of a player's progress. Dropped passes, missed tackles, overthrown receivers, etc. All of these things are fair game. 

View full article

• Pie 6

Very helpful Jeremy, thanks.

Question:

Can one use pre-season games to draw conclusions re: units?

I watched the Saints game last night.  There were definitely individual players I could cite who made plays, or who didn't.  But it also looked like the whole 1st team D was weak.  The Saints defense was truly porous the 1st quarter.  Baltimore moved the ball at will, both passing and running and controlled the ball for 12 of the 15 minutes, scoring TDs on both of their first drives.

You can see the play by play here.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400790313

Certainly I came away with the impression that the Saints 1st team defense was really struggling on multiple levels.  Is that too broad a conclusion from a pre-season game?

Question:

I watched the Saints game last night.  There were definitely individual players I could cite who made plays, or who didn't.  But it also looked like the whole 1st team D was weak.  The Saints defense was truly porous the 1st quarter.  Baltimore moved the ball at will, both passing and running and controlled the ball for 12 of the 15 minutes, scoring TDs on both of their first drives.

Certainly I came away with the impression that the Saints 1st team defense was really struggling on multiple levels.  Is that too broad a conclusion from a pre-season game?

It is tricky. I assume zero game planning went on with the Saints. Especially on teams lacking in physical talent such as the Saints defense, game planning is everything. Superior coaching can make up for so many flaws. (not saying the Saints have superior defensive coaching, obviously they do not, just an example)

• Pie 1

4) prepare yourselves for the over reactors. Especially the ones that flail their arms in the air and say its all gone to poo. Some on here are way too emmotionally dependant and WILL take the score seriously. They will have a reactionary explosion, then come back later and try and back up why they exploded. Do not partake in reasoning with them. You cant win an argument against the stupid.

• Pie 5

Question:

you don't need preseason games to know the saints suck. 

• Pie 6

The biggest thing I've come to assess fairly reliably in preseason is how the trenches perform.  Specifically, if our guys are moving the opposition's lines then that bodes very well for us.  Of course, the opposite is true as well.  There are gameplanning things that can be done to mitigate weaknesses and exploit strengths of course, but with vanilla gameplanning most of the time we are looking at one-on-one matchups.

Because Shula's offense is predicated on a successfull running attack, signs that this line will get push consistently is a severe thumbs up for us.  Bufallo's 1st string will be an excellent yardstick to see how we actually measure up.

• Pie 2

Question:

Preseason is tough for units. I think the only game they actually game plan a little for is the third game. I know they didn't come out of base 43 the first drive with the starters. I try to watch individuals for that reason. Who's winning their line up and beat your man matchup, because that's all a preseason game is. 

It is troubling though, that they looked so bad just trying to line up and beat the guy across. I though there were some positives, but some of the concerns I've had were reaffirmed. 

• Pie 1