• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

About those 5 Things ...

Jeremy Igo

Not too worried about the offense.

Rex threw the kitchen sink at the Panthers last night. That defense looked pretty tricky and like what was said earlier, it's probably because he wanted to invigorate the fanbase. Can't really blame him, but it really seemed to catch the O off guard. Once Cam got out of his funk, they looked solid...

• Pie 1

I'm not one to judge after one game but Byrd can do something both Bersin and no other WR not named Ginn can do and that's ST. Byrd had just as productive night as any other bubble WR. It's going to play out and I feel Bersin deserves a job over Cotchery but that's not going to happen. Still Byrd is a difference while Bersin is Cotchery 2.0 with no upside. 

The Bills had a good number of second stringers in on that third drive,  mainly in the secondary. 

true.  But the Bills are also regarded as a front 7 dominated defense....and those guys were in for the 80 yard TD drive. 

With CJ, KK, Star....and then TD and Luke playing only 6 snaps....Buffalo's starting O had it much easier than our 3rd drive O starters did last night 

Big picture...I think that was Cam's best looking first preseason game of his career.  He tends to always look bad this early.  Thought he looked actually ok

• Pie 2

I'm just going to go right on out here and say it, I will not be excited about this offense until we get a legit NFL offensive coordinator.  We will have a few games where we look "high flying" but in those games where we will really need scores, I just don't trust this guy.

Sure it is premature, just being optimistic.

CAP has the style that is super productive in the NFL, especially behind guys like Norwell and Turner.  Be patient, take what they give you, and make a quick burst at just the right time. This is so much better than dancing around and waiting for a bigger hole to pop open(and never does). 

we dont know anyone that used to do that... do we Jeremy?!

I think it's too early to say whether we "looked good" overall.  Last night was mixed.  Some things (Oline!!!) quite encouraging.  Other things frustrating.  Preseason game 1.  Normal.

is it wrong that this part of your post sounded like Mordin Solus from Mass Effect?! i can totally envision him saying these lines exactly the way you have them written...

they still had starters Darby and Gilmore in...

it seemed to be a theme of the night, Darby getting abused by our receivers.... haha if i were a bills fan, i would be concerned.

I'm just going to go right on out here and say it, I will not be excited about this offense until we get a legit NFL offensive coordinator.  We will have a few games where we look "high flying" but in those games where we will really need scores, I just don't trust this guy.

one thing I liked is they did bust out the no huddle offense by our starters in the first preseason game....

so to make myself feel better I will just convince myself that it can only mean the no huddle will be a big part of what we are this year....bc lets be real....we always looked better last year doing it

one thing I liked is they did bust out the no huddle offense by our starters in the first preseason game....

so to make myself feel better I will just convince myself that it can only mean the no huddle will be a big part of what we are this year....bc lets be real....we always looked better last year doing it

Cam just seems to play better in the no huddle.  Not sure if it's just him playing vs. thinking, or if it just suits him a little better to keep the D guessing.  Either way, that is true, I'm glad they did break it out for a bit.

I'm not one to judge after one game but Byrd can do something both Bersin and no other WR not named Ginn can do and that's ST. Byrd had just as productive night as any other bubble WR. It's going to play out and I feel Bersin deserves a job over Cotchery but that's not going to happen. Still Byrd is a difference while Bersin is Cotchery 2.0 with no upside. 

Bersin catches everything thrown his way and is very aware of where he is on the field. He would have made the catch Byrd dropped on that comeback route and very possibly moved the chains. That grab in the end zone is business as usual from what we've seen out of Bersin under actual game pressure. IMO he has an upside in having to prove year to year that he belongs on the this team. With Proehl leading the crew Cotch's experience upside isn't necessary so a decision between Bersin and Byrd makes more sense. Regarding ST I see what you mean in Byrd's potential value. He looked comfortable and ready to do damage given some space. I just think it's too soon to give him a roster spot over a proven valuable possession receiver who is familiar with our system. I am though excited to see more Byrd on the field over the next few games and hope he at least makes the PS. 

Edited by Rockahype
  • Pie 1

One thing on the Bersin / Boykin / Byrd debate.  I seem to recall Bersin commenting in a recent interview that he knows the whole playbook.  Can play all the WR positions.  Not sure whether the other WR candidates also have been learning multiple positions?  I know Funchess has, but what about Boykin and Byrd?  Certainly I wouldn't expect Byrd to with his size.  He wouldn't back up KB for instance, whereas Bersin could...

Just more food for thought in the WR position battle.  So much fun to have so many interesting receivers to watch and root for.