• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

About those 5 Things ...

Jeremy Igo

Not sure where to put this point, so this looks as good as spot as anywhere.

One problem with preseason is everyone gets all worked up about a series or two.  But just think about how many times in the regular season you see a team start fast and take a 10-14 point lead only to have their opponent adjust and come back and win.  It happens all the time.  There is ebb and flow in every game, but in preseason the 1st team isn't out there long enough to change an ebb to a flow.   They don't have time to adjust to and counter what the opponent is doing.  So reading too much into what we see is not only pointless, but sometimes not fair to the team or the players. 

Bersin catches everything thrown his way and is very aware of where he is on the field. He would have made the catch Byrd dropped on that comeback route and very possibly moved the chains. That grab in the end zone is business as usual from what we've seen out of Bersin under actual game pressure. IMO he has an upside in having to prove year to year that he belongs on the this team. With Proehl leading the crew Cotch's experience upside isn't necessary so a decision between Bersin and Byrd makes more sense. Regarding ST I see what you mean in Byrd's potential value. He looked comfortable and ready to do damage given some space. I just think it's too soon to give him a roster spot over a proven valuable possession receiver who is familiar with our system. I am though excited to see more Byrd on the field over the next few games and hope he at least makes the PS. 

Funny how you say he catches everything when he had drops in Buffalo. Bersin has been in our system for 3 years and thats with Proehl. He is about as good as he is going to get and as I have said before he should start over Cotchery but thats a Rivera thing. 

One thing on the Bersin / Boykin / Byrd debate.  I seem to recall Bersin commenting in a recent interview that he knows the whole playbook.  Can play all the WR positions.  Not sure whether the other WR candidates also have been learning multiple positions?  I know Funchess has, but what about Boykin and Byrd?  Certainly I wouldn't expect Byrd to with his size.  He wouldn't back up KB for instance, whereas Bersin could...

Just more food for thought in the WR position battle.  So much fun to have so many interesting receivers to watch and root for.

He should know the whole playbook he has been with us 3 years. Its why I say he has peaked and will not get any better. Funchess and Byrd will because they have had all of two months of study.  

Cam played fine last night.  Benji fell down on a route, Cotchery ran the wrong route on a play, Cam barely missed Corey Brown downfield with pressure in his face, and he completed 5 of the other 7 passes.

Not worried aboit the offense, Bills #1 defense was still in the game.

Plus offense usually looks rough in preseason. 

I felt we looked about right on offense.  Defense has me more worried 

Edited by teeray
  • Pie 1

one thing I liked is they did bust out the no huddle offense by our starters in the first preseason game....

so to make myself feel better I will just convince myself that it can only mean the no huddle will be a big part of what we are this year....bc lets be real....we always looked better last year doing it

I've missed you

Kony Ealy has got to step but, he played I believe 34 or more snaps and didn't record a single stat. 

It may not be recorded as a stat, but I seem to recall he got at least 1 (at least partial) QB pressure.  I think there was even a pic. of it in the Observer photo gallery.  Let me see if I can find it.

• Pie 1

It may not be recorded as a stat, but I seem to recall he got at least 1 (at least partial) QB pressure.  I think there was even a pic. of it in the Observer photo gallery.  Let me see if I can find it.

yeah I forgot about that, I drunk a little too much for the game. I wanna watch it again do you know if nfl network is gonna have a replay?

Funny how you say he catches everything when he had drops in Buffalo. Bersin has been in our system for 3 years and thats with Proehl. He is about as good as he is going to get and as I have said before he should start over Cotchery but thats a Rivera thing. 

Fair enough as I was on and off cooking duties and did not see every pass last night. It seemed last season when we needed him in position to pick up a first he could be counted on. Maybe I'm just a homer. Not saying don't give Byrd every chance possible. It's just with Ginn/Brown already taking care of speed Byrd doesn't bring enough for me to give him a roster spot over Bersin/Boykin (minus a really bad showing from both of them over the next 3 games). A year on the practice squad wouldn't hurt Byrd at all. 

So far after game one I'd like to see..

Benjamin/Funchess/Bersin

Ginn/Brown/Byrd

If Cotchery has to make it...

Benjamin/Funchess/Cotchery

Ginn/Brown/Bersin

Fair enough as I was on and off cooking duties and did not see every pass last night. It seemed last season when we needed him in position to pick up a first he could be counted on. Maybe I'm just a homer. Not saying don't give Byrd every chance possible. It's just with Ginn/Brown already taking care of speed Byrd doesn't bring enough for me to give him a roster spot over Bersin/Boykin (minus a really bad showing from both of them over the next 3 games). A year on the practice squad wouldn't hurt Byrd at all. 

So far after game one I'd like to see..

Benjamin/Funchess/Bersin

Ginn/Brown/Byrd

If Cotchery has to make it...

Benjamin/Funchess/Cotchery

Ginn/Brown/Bersin

Well its just how you look at it. Two possession WRS compared to two Speed WRs. Byrd is the fastest of the bunch and speed kills imo.