• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Roster Projection Update

Jeremy Igo

Kelvin Benjamin's injury has forced the roster projection to change, but not in a way you might expect. 

Offense - 25

Quarterback - 3
Cam Newton
Derek Anderson
Joe Webb

Note: Remember, Webb can also play that large possession receiver spot if needed. 

Running Back - 3
Jonathan Stewart
Cameron Artis-Payne
Jordan Todman

Note: These three backs plus Mike Tolbert is enough running power to win any game on the schedule, period. 

Fullback - 1
Mike Tolbert

Tight End - 4
Greg Olsen
Ed Dickson
Marcus Lucas
Richie Brockel

Note: With the Panthers utilizing the two tight end set more frequently, they are going to need more than two pass catching tight ends. Marcus Lucas impressed both in camp and preseason game 1, more so than Simonson. 

Wide Receiver - 5
Devin Funchess
Corey Brown
Ted Ginn
Brenton Bersin
Jerricho Cotchery

Note: Well, I have taken Kelvin Benjamin off the list and have not replaced him. I feel the Panthers will now keep 5 wide outs, a pretty typical number across the league. Instead they will opt for a third pass catching tight end who can also contribute on special teams. Why add another receiver that is exactly like two guys already on the roster and not activate him on game days? 

Offensive Line - 9
Michael Oher
Andrew Norwell
Ryan Kalil
Trai Turner
Mike Remmers
Daryl Williams
Chris Scott
Amini Silatolu 
Nate Chandler

Note: Panthers could opt to waive Brian Folkerts and use Mike Remmers as the backup center. This frees up roster space and makes room for the day that Daryl Williams is starting (it will happen this season). Williams has been the most impressive rookie overall in camp. 

Defense: 25

Defensive Line - 9
Charles Johnson
Star Lotulelei 
Kawaan Short
Frank Alexander
Kony Ealy
Colin Cole
Dwan Edwards
Mario Addison
Kyle Love

Note: Panthers still hang on to Kyle Love due to injury concerns with Star. Love was the player that was brought up when Lotulelei was first injured in January. 

Linebacker - 6
Thomas Davis
Luke Kuechly
Shaq Thompson
AJ Klein
David Mayo
Jason Trusnik 

Note: I have added Trusnik here due to how poor punt coverage teams looked in preseason game 1. Clearly the Panthers need all the special teams help they can get. 

Safety - 4
Roman Harper
Tre Boston
Kurt Coleman
Colin Jones

Corners - 6
Josh Norman
Bene Benwikere
Charles Tillman
Teddy Williams
Melvin White
TJ Heath

Note: Like Trusnik, I have added special teams ace Williams here. Carrington Byndom back on practice squad. 

Special Teams - 3

Kicker - Graham Gano
Punter - Brad Nortman
Long Snapper - JJ Jansen 

Practice Squad - 10
Carrington Byndom
Lee Ward
Damiere Byrd
Brandon Wegher 
David Foucault
Adarius Glanton
Dean Marlowe
Martin Wallace
(unkown player)

(unkown player)

View full article

• Pie 8

That looks like quite a plausible scenario. 

I fear we'd lose Wegher.  There are some teams that are hurting at RB and he could be picked up.  That risk of losing him could possibly open up a spot on the 53 for him, but it's hard to know at whose expense it would be.  We know Brockel is a coach favorite / swiss-army-knife type guy.

I'm not so sure we keep Teddy Williams.  I hadn't gotten the impression that he had a good camp.

You could be right about only keeping 5 WRs, but I'm a bit concerned about Funchess.  He's seeming a bit fragile at the moment with all these hamstring tweaks, etc.  Boykin has shown some flashes, as well as some bad drops.  I'm not quite sure he's on the cut list yet, but I think, like you. that the odds are in favor of Cotch & Bersin ahead of him.  A lot will depend on whether he steps up during the next 3 pre-season games...

Edited by KB_fan

is Brown ahead of Ginn in the depth chart?

Unclear. Just depends on the plays being called. Brown goes over the middle of the field more. Aside from Funchess, I really don't think the depth chart means much. It will be WR by committee. None of the guys are good enough to demand a spot full time on the field, will be put in on plays that they are strong in. 

• Pie 1

Can someone remind me of the process for adding players to the IR?  We can't add Kelvin to IR now because we'd first have to waive him and would lose him (ala Gaffney).  At what point can he be put on the IR?  I'm assuming it's when we cut down to 53, but I'm not positive of that.