• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Roster Projection Update

Jeremy Igo

IR

The only reason he isn't on IR already is that he could be picked up by someone else. Wait a few weeks and the Panthers can IR him without placing him on waivers. 

gotcha.

i had been thinking he was getting ready to be back

I mostly agree...but I still think Boykin could make the roster.He is a big bodied receiver who is also a special teams contributor.  Rivera likes size...we need it with Benji out.  

I look for Boykin to get plenty of playing time tomorrow night.  

Boykin,  Cotchery,  Bersin.... 

same guy

Panthers learn from last year with the same issue. 

Boykin,  Cotchery,  Bersin.... 

same guy

Panthers learn from last year with the same issue. 

Boykin has special teams value...the other 2 do not.  I would also argue that Boykin is more athletic than Cotchery and Bersin.  

And there's also the fact that the Panthers rarely learn from past mistakes...isn't that why Shula is still here?  

• Pie 1

Boykin has special teams value...the other 2 do not.  I would also argue that Boykin is more athletic than Cotchery and Bersin.  

And there's also the fact that the Panthers rarely learn from past mistakes...isn't that why Shula is still here?  

Bersin has been practicing as punt returner and gunner. 

If Boykin continues showing out in game situations, I could see them keeping him over Teddy Williams.  Williams won't see the field as a corner but Boykin could contribute at WR.

With KB out I think it'll be hard to cut Boykin, as long as he keeps catching passes. He's the most experienced receiver after Cotchery.There are only 5 WR's you could rank ahead of him, and of the rest, I think only Bryd has a chance to edge him out.

Bersin has been practicing as punt returner and gunner. 

You mentioned his improvement at returner (which he ideally wouldn't ever need to play anyway), but how has he looked at gunner and has he been on any other coverage/return teams?

With KB out I think it'll be hard to cut Boykin, as long as he keeps catching passes. He's the most experienced receiver after Cotchery.There are only 5 WR's you could rank ahead of him, and of the rest, I think only Bryd has a chance to edge him out.

Agreed. Boykin's a proven ST performer and has shown receiving potential, though Jeremy makes a reasonable point about Bersin also practicing on ST. If Bersin looks just as good on ST during the games (since no contact during practice) and is the more consistent WR in practice, he'll have an edge over Boykin.

Just a correction, Ginn is most-experienced after Cotch.  Here's a table listing WRs in order of experience (games played)

#PlayerPos.HTWTDraft YearDraft StatusTotal gamesTotal Starts
82Cotchery, JerrichoWR6' 00"2032004Round 417392
19Ginn, TedWR5' 11"1802007Round 112741
15Boykin, JarrettWR6' 02"2182012UDFA4211
87Hill, StephenWR6' 04"2152012Round 22319
12Brown, MikeWR5' 10"2052012UDFA188
13Benjamin, KelvinWR6' 05"2402014Round 11817
11Bersin, BrentonWR6' 03"2112012UDFA171
16Brown, CoreyWR5' 11"1782014UDFA154
17Funchess, DevinWR6' 04"2322015Round 200
83Lucas, MarcusWR6' 04"2182014UDFA00
7Browning, PaulWR6' 02"2202015UDFA00
18Byrd, DamiereWR5' 09"1622015UDFA00
81Capers, AviusWR5' 09"2002015UDFA00
Edited by KB_fan

Maybe I'm delusional but I'm holding out hope that Lee Ward makes the 53. 

I keep thinking about Gman's quote from camp confidential "don't worry about positions just take the best football players"

Lee Ward screams football player to me. Tolbert is a UFA in 2016 and turns 30 in November. Maybe we try to give Ward a shot in game action to see if he is the future at FB.