• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An Alternative Roster Projection - The Youth Movement

Jeremy Igo

I know that roster scenario is meant to be a bit of an extreme example of going all in on youth but, looking over it, it really makes the most sense from a "what they've done so far this year" perspective.  It also sets us up nicely for the future with guys we can plan on being here long term.  All this without really giving up anything, at least from a performance perspective thus far this year.  I doubt we see all those moves happen but hopefully most of them will.  I think it would be for both the long and short term benefit to the team.

• Pie 4

I like it. However I think we keep 6 LB's and Glanton is the 6th. Also can't see them dropping Cotchery. So Byrd wouldn't make it. Lastly I'd prefer 5 DE's over 5 DT's. So drop Redden and give his spot back to Horton. 

I also want very badly for Nate Chandler not to waste a roster spot as well. I'd replace him with either Travis Henry or Brian Folkerts. 

I soured on Teddy Williams after the Buffalo game but he redeemed himself against the Dolphins. Really think we could get away with 5 corners and allocate his spot to someone else.

• Pie 1

I think that group can and will win.  I don't like Cotchery, but I would keep him over Byrd at this point because with KB gone, his presence is necessary for Funchess's sake.  The other reason is I feel we'll be able to move Byrd to the PS, I'm not sure anymore about Ward, and I'd almost guarantee that Wegher doesn't make it to our PS without getting gobbled up given his preseason performance and spotlight on the show undrafted.  We have no way to hide him,  Wegher HAS to be on our 53 if we want to keep him.

• Pie 1

BTW has Tolbert done anything impressive at Camp at all? His preseason performance indicates he's fallen off quite a bit. Have a hard time seeing them let him go, but really don't think we'd miss him.

Not to mention that 2.4 Million in savings we'd get by cutting him a year early.

Edited by panther4life
  • Pie 3

I like this a lot. Cutting Tolbert is something that I think needs to happen. He is going to continue to get more playing time than he deserves because of his reputation with the coaching staff. He has looked slow this year and I don't see him coming back to his 2013 form.

• Pie 1

REALLY like this projection and could most definitely get behind it. I think that "going young" wouldn't be all that bad for this team, since there are vets and supporting cast in every position group to get the young guys over the hump. 

Because of RR's commitment to veteran players, I don't see something to this extent, but they way DG sees the makeup of a team (in his 5-year plan) I could see some of these changes happening. We get younger, cheaper and these young UDFAs get valuable experience and it becomes their team. 

it's the best scenario for this year and the future. remember it was the same moves that saved our season last year.

unlike others here, I'll take speed in the receiver core over experience, getting open downfield helps Cam and the running game. and we have Ricky to improve technique. you can't teach speed....

10-6 if our D can score some points.

• Pie 1