• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers taking Patriots game seriously

Jeremy Igo

That meant nothing. Vanilla packages and schemes were most likely abound. Most teams actually plan for the third preseason game. Historically games one, two and four are primarily used for evaluation purposes. The third game is where they actually game-plan and scheme for a specific opponent with our starters in mind.

What Jeremy is telling you is that you'll be watching as close to the real thing into the third quarter. Scrutinize things from that perspective. 

No. It's the same every year- healthy starters play approximately a quarter for whichever game it is. 1st game, 1 quarter, 2nd game, 2 quarters, 3rd game, 3 quarters. The 4th game is for deciding final cuts. And if the starters are playing, they're playing to win. So, our starters did nothing against Buffalo or Miami. If we don't play competitively against NE, it's gonna be a long year.

Maybe it is just me but receivers seem to be getting open this year and the line is holding.  However guys like Brown are just dropping passes when they need to be stepping up.  Ginn looks good so far as does Boykin and even Byrd.

yeah, I agree.  

Funchess really would be the one of he gets the green light in terms of getting open against ones.  

I do want to see some sort of rush game from the first team O. 

I'd like to see Boykin at some point before the ones are done.   

yeah, I agree.  

Funchess really would be the one of he gets the green light in terms of getting open against ones.  

I do want to see some sort of rush game from the first team O. 

I'd like to see Boykin at some point before the ones are done.   

With kalil out and Remmers playing his first snaps as a center, I don't know if we can expect a real power run game. The chemistry is brand new with Remmers playing center and Williams at right tackle. But you can expect Belicheck to take something away so they can make us 1 dimensional. With Benjamin out it would be the running game. Contain the running game including Cam and make him beat you through the air. That is what I would do until he showed he could beat it.

Last year around this time, the New England Patriots embarrassed the Carolina Panthers. 

On August 22, 2014, the Patriots took Carolina behind the woodshed in the third preseason game of the preseason and administered a 30-7 beating. But it was really never that close. The Patriots held the Panthers scoreless for 58 minutes and sent the Panthers home with an injured Cam Newton. 

This game ended up being an omen for the 2014 regular season. Many, myself included, brushed aside the 30-7 domination as preseason silliness. Turns out, Carolina was on the losing end of those types of blowouts early and often in the 2014 season. Meaningless? Not so much. 

The Panthers do not want to be embarrassed again this week. This week, it is personal. 

For the first two days of practice this week, scout teams have been used. Yes, they are game planning for Friday night. The Panthers are installing plays they feel will be successful against the Patriots. The players have spent time in the film room. Cam Newton and the starters will be playing into the third quarter. This is as close to the regular season it will ever get in August. 

This week we have our first real look at the 2015 Carolina Panthers. Whether the performance is outstanding or dismal, it will be difficult to brush aside the results as "only preseason." 

I learned that lesson last year. 

View full article

Um, wasn't the 2013 season the one where they sucked it up in the third preseason game, then went 12-4? I'm just saying, it's preseason. It's tricky, but sometimes we tend to over analyze these games. 

Um, wasn't the 2013 season the one where they sucked it up in the third preseason game, then went 12-4? I'm just saying, it's preseason. It's tricky, but sometimes we tend to over analyze these games. 

I don't disagree that preseason games get too much analysis, but the game in question was last year. It's the one wear Cam's ribs got fractured. We got clobbered then had a 7-8-1 season.

• Pie 1