• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Despite recent trade, Panthers still in need of receiver help

Jeremy Igo

That receiving corps is no where near as "shitty" as our 2014 corps. It has waaaaaaay mor upside.

No one is saying there are a "ton" of teams that are stacked, just several of them (some being real competitors) that would at least be able to have a semblance of a passing game based on their upside alone.  After KB and Funchess, there is no real upside. Some analysts even believe our WR is suspect even with a healthy Funchess.

Why argue against upgrading a "shitty" corps? I will never know.

Edit: let me put it this way, better to be in that number of teams, however big it is, than not.

yeah nice straw man that i bolded for reference there.  not going to even bother with that because i never said anything like that.

most teams in the league would have major problems if they lost their number one and two wideouts, that's the whole point.  if you want to argue with me on that then that's your problem i guess.

whether or not they'd be in better or worse shape than the panthers is immaterial and you're missing the point if you're trying to argue with me over that.  if suddenly phillip dorsett and a slot guy were your one and two and the rest of the corps was dudes who've never done anything in the NFL it'd be a problem, upside be damned.

Edited by The NFL Shield At Midfield

yeah nice straw man that i bolded for reference there.  not going to even bother with that because i never said anything like that.

most teams in the league would have major problems if they lost their number one and two wideouts, that's the whole point.  if you want to argue with me on that then that's your problem i guess.

whether or not they'd be in better or worse shape than the panthers is immaterial and you're missing the point if you're trying to argue with me over that.  if suddenly phillip dorsett and a slot guy were your one and two and the rest of the corps was dudes who've never done anything in the NFL it'd be a problem, upside be damned.

Arguing about whether or not any team in the NFL would be hurting if they lost both their top two receivers is really immaterial. The whole purpose of acquiring depth is to provide insurance in case something unforeseen happens. Regardless if you value upside or not, upside is a major part of the equation of depth.  if you can't understand that, then I don't know what else to tell you.

• Pie 1

of course i understand and value upside because i'm not a moron.  i'm not arguing against drafting more receivers, i'm not arguing against depth, i'm not arguing against having built-in insurance in your depth chart.  i'm not even arguing that the panthers have done a particularly good job at that.  that post i made was really just an ill-fated attempt at providing a little nuggest of perspective in light of a typically fun huddle meltdown.  whoops

Matters of perspective are like looking at a diamond while changing angles in the sunlight. 

Sometimes you have to keep an open mind about which angle provides the best view...or at least realize that your view is not the only view, and not the only one that has a good angle behind it.

Edited by top dawg

Really, if Brown gets over the yips, and Funchess' hamstring clears up by the regular season, then much of this panic would have been for naught  I've never been on the Corey Brown hype train, but nobody can deny that he has shown the ability to get open this preseason, and last year he showed he could catch the ball.  Now he just needs to put the two together.  I agree with Rivera in that it's a mental block for him, so I really do believe if he could have just a couple of good catches, he can and will get his head straight.

As for Funchess, he's not going to be KB good this year, but we really don't need him to be.  We just need him and Brown (or someone else) to be solid.  Remember, last year our OL and running game was so bad that it was impossible for us to have any kind of balance.  This year the running game should be exponentially better (just give the OL a chance to gel with their run blocking), which will ease the need for our passing game to carry the offense.  It's pretty clear we won't have a dynamic offense, but it should be good enough to win with our defense.   

• Pie 1

Great write up.

One of my pet peeves with Ron is he says now if the current group doesn't show improvement this week they'll be changes why didn't you do something Ron before the last preseason game? You've had TC and now 4 weeks of preseason And now you putting someone on notice. 

If the current group wasn't improving which some of them weren't (actually getting worse.  Philly) then why didn't you play some of the other guys with the 1s to see how they looked in real game action instead of jogging the same ol same ol out there and expecting a different result. 

Thats my pet peeve with Ron he will not make a adjustment until it's absolutely the last resort.  Also alot of his adjustments last year were made out of necessity.  Injuries made him start someone he never intended to. I think he's a good players coach but he's not someone whose gonna reinvent the wheel.

Ron likes his comfortable players       comfortable =complacency. 

Same ol same ol Ron

You coach the team and tell these guys to go F themselves. Probably not easy.

Not quite the news most Panthers fans were hoping for. 

But that's not how things work, of course.  They didn't trade for Norwood because they "missed" on Wayne.  They saw an opportunity.  This franchise isn't in business of doing the fans' bidding for name recognition at a position.  

I see a lot of discussion about drawing doubles, too, and sure, that'd be great.  A player who demands attention, and then can overcome that extra attention, would be fantastic.  But that's not at all realistic right now.  You want players who fill roles, can win one on one matchups.  

• Pie 4

It's been two weeks since KB went down and you get the feeling some folks expected a #1 replacement to be in place for tomorrow's game already. It's ridiculous. I'll admit we are in a tight spot because of the setback, but I'll point out that the roster decision for WR suddenly became much more complex than how many and who gets a final roster spot. Seems to me that the prudent move was to ratchet up the competition by adding a sought after prospect and waiting to see what comes available this weekend. A trade would be nice if the one year rental makes sense, but unfortunately I think we would do well to wait and see what what is available without a trade. 

• Pie 4

Agree with ed bell.  The worst thing to do would be to have a knee jerk reaction that would set us back in the future.  Gettleman has to be smart and calculated about the WR position.  Building a sustainable roster that will provide long term consistency is the key. 

• Pie 5

Agree with ed bell.  The worst thing to do would be to have a knee jerk reaction that would set us back in the future.  Gettleman has to be smart and calculated about the WR position.  Building a sustainable roster that will provide long term consistency is the key. 

This x 1000000

Arguing about whether or not any team in the NFL would be hurting if they lost both their top two receivers is really immaterial. The whole purpose of acquiring depth is to provide insurance in case something unforeseen happens. Regardless if you value upside or not, upside is a major part of the equation of depth.  if you can't understand that, then I don't know what else to tell you.

we didn't lose our top 2 WRs...

people somehow think b/c we drafted a 2nd round WR it makes him a legit 2015 starting target...and out of the gate at that.   2014 was not a realistic expectation even from a first rounder....it was just one of those rare things. 

• Pie 2

we didn't lose our top 2 WRs...

people somehow think b/c we drafted a 2nd round WR it makes him a legit 2015 starting target...and out of the gate at that.   2014 was not a realistic expectation even from a first rounder....it was just one of those rare things. 

Well, that's what we were discussing, not whether or not we lost our top two receivers. Your response should have been to him, not me.

The thing is, after all the discussion in this thread, we still need help at receiver.

Edited by top dawg