• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Final Panthers Cuts

Jeremy Igo

Wegher has been 4th string all preseason and has looked good.  Fozzy has been running with the 2nd string and has been playing good.  If you can't see the difference there I can't help you.  You can say what you want but at the end of the day the coaching staff is going to prove me right.  

• Pie 2

I honestly wouldn't mind at all if that happened, but this is the last year on his contract that would hurt us a good deal to cut him during. We can next year and save money, this year it would cost. And nobody is going to trade anything for him, probably not even a conditional pick to take on that contract.

I was actually trying to find the numbers of what it would cost us before posting that, but my Google-Fu was failing... Any idea what the numbers look like? I also can't remember if we were to trade him if we would be on the hook for anything other than about $2 million that we'd owe him in guaranteed money (I think he had like $23 million in guarantees and we've paid him like $21 of that so far as best I can tell?)

Let me preface what I'm about to say by saying I would like to keep Wegher if at all possible because I see potential in the guy and what he can offer.

But you people anointing him the second coming need to pump the damn breaks. He has looked great on the field... against the 3rd and 4th stringers for each team. He didn't get any meaningful snaps against any talent. That's my biggest concern. Fozzy did, and he still produced. 

I get that you want to see a UDFA succeed, but my goodness, keep things in perspective just in case he isn't kept around. 

• Pie 2

I was actually trying to find the numbers of what it would cost us before posting that, but my Google-Fu was failing... Any idea what the numbers look like? I also can't remember if we were to trade him if we would be on the hook for anything other than about $2 million that we'd owe him in guaranteed money (I think he had like $23 million in guarantees and we've paid him like $21 of that so far as best I can tell?)

According to overthecap.com it would cost us $5,300,000 to cut him this offseason. Next year we would save $2,250,000

http://overthecap.com/calculator/carolina-panthers

• Pie 1

One thing that's getting overlooked in the keep Wenger over fozzy/todman/Tolbert is the contract. Todman is only signed for one year, while wehger is on a bare minimum three year deal. Fozzy has two years cheap.

Keeping todman for KO is very dumb, since most are touchbacks these days. Wegher has been beasting on STs, blocking and tackling. IMO its a easy choice between todman and wegher, gimme wegher all day.

One thing that's getting overlooked in the keep Wenger over fozzy/todman/Tolbert is the contract. Todman is only signed for one year, while wehger is on a bare minimum three year deal. Fozzy has two years cheap.

Keeping todman for KO is very dumb, since most are touchbacks these days. Wegher has been beasting on STs, blocking and tackling. IMO its a easy choice between todman and wegher, gimme wegher all day.

Fozzy is also quite beastly on kick returns. He had a very good one I think it was week 2 or 3 this preseason.

Edited by rodeo

Fozzy is also quite beastly on kick returns. He had a very good one I think it was week 2 or 3 this preseason.

that is true, fozzy did great given all of the panthers STs ranked in 30s. I even believe todman has a better to chance to land on PS than wegher too. Ginn can do KOs too, that position is so devalued now. I can stand there and watch the ball go out of bounds. I believe gano is around 80% in touchbacks.

On this Fozzy vs. Wegher argument...

I will post this with the shame it demands, but the devil in the back of my head last night offered up the thought of us cutting/trading Stewart and rolling with rtis-Payne, Fozzy, Todman, and Wegher...

I could see that happening... I wouldn't think it'd be very smart. But one could make an argument, no matter how small it is perceived, that there are benefits to getting rid of Stewart.

I love the dude and want him to be a Panther, but there always remains a chance that Gettleman could pull something like that.

Edited by Match.com

I think Fozzy is safe simply because the Panthers played him like he was safe. He has been used sparingly in the first half of all the games then pulled. And i believe he was a captain last night. 

If he is cut, so be it ( at the end of the day, we are arguing about the 3rd-4th string RB battle), but I don't think it's the case atm. 

I think Fozzy is safe simply because the Panthers played him like he was safe. He has been used sparingly in the first half of all the games then pulled. And i believe he was a captain last night. 

If he is cut, so be it ( at the end of the day, we are arguing about the 3rd-4th string RB battle), but I don't think it's the case atm. 

Same with Corey Brown, noticed he played very little which leads me to believe he is safe.