• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers - Jags Preview and Analysis

Jeremy Igo

They're (Jags,) gonna aim to stop the run and make us beat them with the pass. 

They will have trouble containing Cam and will be succeptible to passes downfield and have no answer for Olsen. 

Panthers 27

Jags 6

Our defense smothers their offense and causes troubles for the young Bortles and their anemic offense. 

Edited by TheNewStandard

I put together some tables to help us get a picture of both the Panthers and the Jaguars starters at a glance.  I'll be posting 3 comments with the tables below, and then a 4th comment with some analysis.

• 1st an overview of the Panthers starters (including those substituting for injured players).
  • 2nd an overview of the Jaguars starters (including those substituting for injured players).
  • 3rd a comparison position by position of the two teams.

For each player I compiled 6 statistics:  years with the team, age, years played, height, weight, PFF Category.

The PFF Category grades are the general categories assigned to each player in the PFF Depth Chart analyses.  I've given each category a grade from 1 (poor) to 6 (elite). The PFF rankings primarily reflect 2014 season play.

Here is the depth chart for the Panthers: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/06/03/2015-depth-charts-update-carolina-panthers/

Here is the depth chart for the Jaguars: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/06/03/2015-depth-charts-update-jacksonville-jaguars/

Note that these depth charts are several months old, and so while the players are current, their place on the depth chart may have shifted substantially during the preseason

• Pie 1

For those who may not have seen it already, early in the week I posted a side by side comparison of some key Panthers vs. JAX stats from the Preseason.

9 fumbles and 10 sacks allowed by Jacksonville. That speaks volumes about their rushing attacks/OL. The Panthers are one of the better defensive takeaways in the league as far as accumulating forced fumbles and ints, their rookie running back is simply that...a rookie running back and they'll be facing the best coverage/sideline to sideline LB corp in the league..."where are they going?...they're going nowhere!"

Now we have the Tilman punch and Bene/Norman who have been under the tutledge of peanut and Cason for a full year and preseason of learning the mastery of that aspect of ball attacking. 

I fully expect a score and 3+ turnovers caused by our defense. One fumble recovery from their rookie, A fumble/sack of Bortles and one interception by either our LBs or secondary. 

Wouldnt be surprised to see a score out of our defense as we control the TOP and keep them with poor starting field-position with their backs against the goal line where pressures cause their young QB to make mistakes. 

Edited by TheNewStandard
  • Pie 1

A Look at Jacksonville's Starters:

CORRECTIONS:  I seem to have somehow gotten at least 2 incorrect weights for the JAX OLine.  Sorry not to have caught the mistake earlier.  Beadles should be 315 and Parnell is also 315.  Not quite sure what happened.  I cut and paste the data from the JAX roster page, but perhaps at some point I copied names and weights separately and got things mixed up?

JAX_Starters_2015_wk1.thumb.png.08338fd2

Edited by KB_fan
  • Pie 3

Here is the position by position comparison for the OFFENSE of both teams:

CORRECTIONS:  I seem to have somehow gotten at least 2 incorrect weights for the JAX OLine.  Sorry not to have caught the mistake earlier.  Beadles should be 315 and Parnell is also 315

CAR-JAX_Offense.thumb.png.5e07b1bc2c2deb

Edited by KB_fan
  • Pie 2