• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Of Periscopes and Sitting Ducks: how to torpedo the New Orleans Saints

PhillyB

The one simple thing I've noticed with Ryan's D scheme and Newton, Ryan  seems to have a pinch put on Cam with the DEs to where Cam is set to throw as Cam's tendency seems to run backwards to get away from the DEs instead of either stepping up in the pocket for a quick throw or to step up through the middle to run.

If I were coaching Cam this week, which I'm not, I'd try and make him aware of this as it is a tendency and tendencies are what D Coordinators thrive on.   When you feel those DEs collapsing the triangle on you, step up to the space they left, look for a quick toss to your outlet, step in to the gap left, right or middle, but  don't go backwards.  Nothing good comes of that.

the US Submarine force experienced the greatest attrition rate of any of the US armed forces services in WWII, but after Pearl Harbor they were literally the only weapon we had to combat the Japanese with. The boats went into action with an epidemic of faulty torpedoes and it was the Navy and the manufacturer pointing fingers at each other for way too long. The Barbs captain was not called Lucky Fluckey for nothing, but aggressive boat captains were promoted if they survived, non producers were KIA or shipped out quick.

• Pie 3

the US Submarine force experienced the greatest attrition rate of any of the US armed forces services in WWII, but after Pearl Harbor they were literally the only weapon we had to combat the Japanese with. The boats went into action with an epidemic of faulty torpedoes and it was the Navy and the manufacturer pointing fingers at each other for way too long. The Barbs captain was not called Lucky Fluckey for nothing, but aggressive boat captains were promoted if they survived, non producers were KIA or shipped out quick.

some of the most gut-wrenching accounts i've read were of submariners. sam dealey rivaled fluckey's badassery and the fate of the uss harder was a cathartic experience for me almost, more so than it should've been. 

iirc the harder was actually one of the initial victims of the plague of torpedo malfunctions that swept through the USN. it took a full two years for people to figure out mark xiv firing pins were deforming before they could hit detonator caps on 90-degree-angle contacts, negating countless perfect strikes over that period. fluckey dealt with it too in the barb's earlier patrols, but not to the extent dealey did. dealy actually got accused of being a subpar mariner and imagining convoys in the dark... lol