• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Famine, Flood, and Lackluster Quarterbacking: A Deconstruction of Narrativity in Football

PhillyB

Do you really see this as the end of the Luck for Hall of Fame story?  I think the world will give him a mulligan for this season because he's Andrew Luck.  

Love that you're using the history of Gaul =)  No one pays enough attention to the history of the middle ages!  And I love the point about it's what's NOT said that's almost as important (or more so) than what is said!

Again, great post!  I hope you are making money off these!

• Pie 1

Do you really see this as the end of the Luck for Hall of Fame story?  I think the world will give him a mulligan for this season because he's Andrew Luck.  

Love that you're using the history of Gaul =)  No one pays enough attention to the history of the middle ages!  And I love the point about it's what's NOT said that's almost as important (or more so) than what is said!

Again, great post!  I hope you are making money off these!

it's tempting to read hyperbole into these types of statements but i honestly believe it's happening. the narrative has been crumbling for a while now. espn shows have been running with topics like "have we criminally overrated luck?" and more and more articles are launching criticism of his playing at the basest level.

i think if the panthers drag him up and down the field in a multi-sack, multi-turnover performance on monday night football that the colts (and specifically andrew luck) will see a palpable fall from grace that's unprecedented in his career. i think people will finally openly admit he's not elite, or anywhere near it.

• Pie 3

Nice work as usual.

It's hard to say with Luck really. He's only 26. I think that football team as a whole is a bit of a mess right now.

For me, I'm not going to be too hard on him because we have seen how things take a turn for the worse under these conditions with our own team before. It's for that reason that I am not going to be involved much in any piling on. I also am not at all completely writing off the Colts like some of our fans seem to be doing this week.

Edited by TheRed
  • Pie 3

That caption with Luck sitting on the ground was priceless

I first learned about subjective bias in the NFL when people would talk about how good Delhomme was, that he was almost Brady level. People would literally say, "well if you take Delhomme's worst games out his passer rating is comparable to Peyton Manning." I was like really? Take Peyton Manning's worst games out and the gap reappears so what the hell kind of point is that?

• Pie 2

Remember prior years when we were worried about Newton being ruined by poor line play and such?

You're watching it happen in Indy.

I've argued with a couple of people that David Carr actually could have been a quality NFL quarterback if the Texans hadn't screwed him up. I'd call this evidence that that'strue, and sad.

The graphic they put up on MNF a few weeks back about how many different linemen he's had was jaw dropping. Despite what some thought watching Indy draft multiple receivers, Ryan Grigson has done a horrible job building around his quarterback.

Could he be beyond repair? If they don't fix the team's issues, yeah he could be.

First step is firing Grigson.

• Pie 3

My favorite college course of all time was Historiography.  For a full semester we studied nine different accounts of the War of the Roses.  Yes, I learned a hell of a lot about the period, but the best lesson was in one of subjectivity (and therefore objectivity).  Brilliant article that is perfectly timed.

And that background face of Luck on your charts had me rolling.  Pieing everything you post this week.

• Pie 6

Remember prior years when we were worried about Newton being ruined by poor line play and such?

You're watching it happen in Indy.

I've argued with a couple of people that David Carr actually could have been a quality NFL quarterback if the Texans hadn't screwed him up. I'd call this evidence that that'strue, and sad.

The graphic they put up on MNF a few weeks back about how many different linemen he's had was jaw dropping. Despite what some thought watching Indy draft multiple receivers, Ryan Grigson has done a horrible job building around his quarterback.

Could he be beyond repair? If they don't fix the team's issues, yeah he could be.

First step is firing Grigson.

agree. grigson has built that offense backwards and its a losing strategy. the panthers DL may actually be the nastiest they've faced so far this year, so it should be a visual spectacular for fans monday night

• Pie 2