• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"This is what we expected from day one"

Jeremy Igo

I always say that we won't know what to expect until the soonest after September.  I guess that now that the Gettleman and Rivera era has set in---after a franchise historical roller coaster, and the transition from Hurney's era largely over---I guess that I will jump out of the shell of guarded optimism to expecting excellence every single year henceforward.

How nice it is to be a Panthers fan! Super Bowls are in our future.

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If we're talking about fans, "not what we expected" is a huge understatement.

If you go back to the offseason threads, especially the ones after Benjamin went down, let's just say low expectations would be a compliment.

Not gonna lie...in preseason, I was expecting 5-3 at this point, 12-4 (maybe even 11-5) for the season. I love it when I'm wrong!  Now, of course, 19-0!!!

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not what I expected. I'm not going to lie about that :)

I think most fans that aren't on some type of controlled substance are in the same boat, myself included. When the season started, I didn't think we had enough weapons on offense to go to Seattle and win, and I didn't think we could keep up with GB's offense with no KB. But I'm very happy to be pleasantly surprised by where we are now.

yeah not what i expected either honestly. i thought we would be 6-2 right about now, 5-3 maybe. 

but here i go getting existential: the only thing that separates us from, say, New Orleans, is the one or two plays that have come at just the right time: 

1. Josh Norman's pick-6 to steal the momentum and put us up 8 points. Jacksonville couldnt put anything together after that.
  2. Short's pressure on Mallet to force the intentional grounding, sealed the game against Houston.
  3. Norman's clutch INT in the New Orleans game, pretty much ended the game.
  4. Dickson's heads-up recovery of JStew's fumble down in Tampa that turned the momentum in our favor for good.
  5. Cam's outstanding awareness and Greg's clutch hands on the go-ahead TD in Seattle.
  6. Jared Allen's sack on Bradford to put the Eagles off schedule on their second to last drive. (would lead to a punt and a Carolina drive that ended in a field goal and all but ended the game for Philadelphia)
  7. Luke's INT in overtime to give us a chance at the game-winning kick (and Gano for booting that beautiful 52 yarder...)
  8. Thomas Davis' INT on 4th and 4 to all but salt the game away. (GB would end up getting one more play after our last drive, but only had 6 seconds to work with)

Every week, one or two plays makes the difference for this team. i included the Tampa game, even though it was our only true blowout this season. that game was close for the first half, with each team going tit for tat. 

Think about it though, if the players above didnt make the plays they are making, we could well be staring at 1-7 with hope all but lost. The media cant call it luck either... each one of the plays mentioned above were pure effort from the player. 

The Panthers are separated from "mediocrity" by just a handful of plays. but isnt that what always separates good teams from mediocre teams? just a few plays? here's to hoping we dominate the competition for the rest of the season. That will show the world that we are... dare i say it?... elite.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, UpstatePanther said:

yeah not what i expected either honestly. i thought we would be 6-2 right about now, 5-3 maybe. 

but here i go getting existential: the only thing that separates us from, say, New Orleans, is the one or two plays that have come at just the right time: 

1. Josh Norman's pick-6 to steal the momentum and put us up 8 points. Jacksonville couldnt put anything together after that.
  2. Short's pressure on Mallet to force the intentional grounding, sealed the game against Houston.
  3. Norman's clutch INT in the New Orleans game, pretty much ended the game.
  4. Dickson's heads-up recovery of JStew's fumble down in Tampa that turned the momentum in our favor for good.
  5. Cam's outstanding awareness and Greg's clutch hands on the go-ahead TD in Seattle.
  6. Jared Allen's sack on Bradford to put the Eagles off schedule on their second to last drive. (would lead to a punt and a Carolina drive that ended in a field goal and all but ended the game for Philadelphia)
  7. Luke's INT in overtime to give us a chance at the game-winning kick (and Gano for booting that beautiful 52 yarder...)
  8. Thomas Davis' INT on 4th and 4 to all but salt the game away. (GB would end up getting one more play after our last drive, but only had 6 seconds to work with)

Every week, one or two plays makes the difference for this team. i included the Tampa game, even though it was our only true blowout this season. that game was close for the first half, with each team going tit for tat. 

Think about it though, if the players above didnt make the plays they are making, we could well be staring at 1-7 with hope all but lost. The media cant call it luck either... each one of the plays mentioned above were pure effort from the player. 

The Panthers are separated from "mediocrity" by just a handful of plays. but isnt that what always separates good teams from mediocre teams? just a few plays? here's to hoping we dominate the competition for the rest of the season. That will show the world that we are... dare i say it?... elite.

We definitely have an elite record but I'm not quite ready to call us an elite team just yet, mainly because of what you have listed. I think we are on our way there though, especially if we can keep the foot on the gas and keep games out of reach the way the Boston Cheaters do.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, PoundCat said:

We definitely have an elite record but I'm not quite ready to call us an elite team just yet, mainly because of what you have listed. I think we are on our way there though, especially if we can keep the foot on the gas and keep games out of reach the way the Boston Cheaters do.

Well notice that I said we need to dominate the competition from here on out to be considered elite

• Pie 1