• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Evolution, Adaptation, and the Mike Shula Offense

PhillyB

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Enjoyable read.  

I don't know about the John Fox comment however.  I think that his tenure,  especially the latter part,  was unduly affected negatively by the business side of football,  leaving him with mere facades of complete teams. 

john fox's philosophy was that players should adapt to the scheme, rather than the scheme adapting to the players. aside from the classic run-run-draw dynamic, this was probably the biggest criticism of his actual football philosophy. fox was notorious for trying to shoehorn players into inflexible positions and insisting their failures at that position were a judgement of their value.

fox would've keep running cotchery on go routes until he was fired. shula has adapted... probably part of why gettleman (who has no qualms about dropped the axe on underperformers) has decided he's worth keeping around.

3 hours ago, PhillyB said:

tennessee made adjustments after those first two drives; they went from playing a ton of zone and hoping their front four would get pressure to sending the house on nearly every down. it was a quick shift by the titans and it took shula most of the game to respond.

I'm sensing a bit of hyperbole or are you seriously suggesting that Shula called nothing but go routes for 3 full quarters?

1 hour ago, stankowalski said:

I'm sensing a bit of hyperbole or are you seriously suggesting that Shula called nothing but go routes for 3 full quarters?

no, not go routes specifically, but lots of long, slow-developing stuff. half those deep routes were punctuated by double moves halfway up the field, probably designed to get subpar corners to bite or get turned around.

not a bad plan really, just needed to be adjusted as soon as TEN started storming the gates every down.

On 11/19/2015, 11:47:07, Match.com said:

This is too long bro..I'm trying to work but not trying to work...lol

1) Please don't use the term "bro" again unless you're quoting Seinfeld or a white Eagles fan with corn-rows.

2) Don't copy and paste the ENTIRE original post when commenting, especially when commenting about how long it is. 

• Pie 2