• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Panthers - Falcons Gameday Thread

Jeremy Igo

Today the Panthers face division rival Atlanta Falcons at Bank of America Stadium. 

With a win today (or a Packers loss) the Panthers can clinch a first round playoff bye, giving them some much needed rest before the playoffs begin. 

Many are shrugging the Atlanta Falcons off as an easy win, I am not. We don't often see easy wins at Bank of America Stadium against division opponents. The Saints game earlier this year for example went down to the last play. That game was not expected to be close. 

Keys to Panthers Victory 

- Prevent the Atlanta big play. There has been a creeping concern lately with the defense, and that is the propensity to give up a big passing play. They did it last week in New Orleans, and the week before in Dallas. The Panthers cannot allow Matt Ryan to connect downfield for a long touchdown. 

- Norman vs Jones. Obviously this is a matchup to watch. Josh Norman looked a little off his game last week. Can he rebound against a premier receiver, some say the best in the league, and lock him down Dez Bryant style? I am betting so. It is hard to describe how fast that Saints defense can play on their indoor turf. The sod at BoA will slow things down a bit. 

- Funchess, yes Funchess. So much hinges on Devin Funchess today and through the playoffs. He is on the cusp of breaking out and looking more like a serious second or even first receiver threat. If he can just take that next step and gain the attention from other teams number one corners, Ted Ginn and Jerricho Cothery will feast on the lesser corners covering them. 

IGO_6146.jpg

View full article

• Pie 7

Looks like a beautiful day in CLT. 

Excited by the fact that with 33+ points we can be the #1 offense in the league.  THAT would be so Sweet.  Shock & Silence all the doubters who respect our D but rag on our our O.

Let's do it Panthers!  Panthers 37, Atlanta 23.

• Pie 4

By the way, earlier this year, during training camp when i was first creating some of my Panthers databases, I happened to compile the stats on our offensive and defensive rankings over time, via PFR.  It's very rare that we've had a top 10 ranked offense, at least in terms of year-end stats.  We've only had a TOP 5 offense by points scored in two seasons:  1999 and 2011.  By contrast, we've had a top 5 D 4 seasons.

566d7f3e16b0f_offensedefense_rankings.pn

Our average rankings for the past 20 years:

Offense: points = 18  / yards = 20

Defense: points = 14 / yards = 15

Edited by KB_fan
  • Pie 2

Cam always wants to ball out against ATL and I am sure he is going to have a heck of a game today.  I think Funchess is going to "click" in that baller I know he can be today….

No division game is easy and the Falcons are desperate. 

I think defense has a lot to prove after last week so that desperation in ATL might just be the right combination that the defense will feed off.

#GOPANTHERS!!!! #KEEPPOUNDING!!!  #GAMEDAY!!!