• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top Secret! A multi-faceted game plan to defeat the 2015 Carolina Panthers

PhillyB

59 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

Without further ado:

On Offense

View full article

1. Spreading the offense only works if the routes have time to develop and spreading the Panthers out allows inside rushes and blitz packages by TD as Shaq/Klein pins the slot and allows Luke to be 1on1 with a RB or to mirror the QB and step in front of the Slot receiver if the RB commits to blocking TD. So the spread actually works to our strengths as new DBs can play man to man with a safety reading the seam.

2. Coleman is a read safety and clear-outs don't work without a crossing TE which opens up stunts for the nickel as Luke and Roman play the second and third tiers. NYG don't have a formidable TE to rub and Addison with TD are both capable of covering screen's while Luke covers the middle with the LE crashing 1on1 with NYG's RT. 

3. There's a good chance that Roman plays zone on bunch formations and rarely jams the line. Luke and TD would crash the gaps in a zone passing down with CJ or Addison left to cover the seam.

4. This would be an obvious passing situation with a possible release if the Panthers go for inside pressure, which they won't, but you can bet the Panthers DL will hold the line and get their hands up, leaving a true man-to-man defensive situation with Luke and TD hitting any releasing backs at the line. 

Eli may be left to rush if their isn't a coverage sack that occurs or just a throw away play.

5. NYG doesn't have the personnel to play a grinder-out game plan so their defense is gonna spend a lot of time trying to get Cam to make poor decisions and will be keeping 8 in the box to try and limit our rushing attack and that's gonna leave a lot of room for a lot of possession receptions by Cotch, Brown and Olsen.

Edited by TheNewStandard
  • Pie 1

Awesome work PhillyB. It's clear that every team is exploitable. It highlights the importance of adjustments and execution. Every military tactic has weaknesses and strengths. The opposition not only has to have the knowledge of that weakness (getting the plans to one wamp rat sized exhaust port) but they have to have the ability to exploit that weakness (the cojones to turn off a targeting computer) and a little luck (like a rapscallion smuggler entering the fray at the right moment).

So I'm the words of Caesar: it's only hubris if I fail.

And to Cam I say: you may fire when ready. 

• Pie 5

1 hour ago, cbarrier90 said:

Oh man. Last week you said "Just show up" and the Panthers won 38-0.

Now you've gone beyond even that and are actually releasing the game plan to stop the Panthers.

They aren't good, but are the Giants really THAT bad?

The Giants are the last team until January that has the ability to stop us. I have held my breath on an undefeated season until this point, waiting to see how the team would respond to the ebbs and flows of the season. They have responded stunningly. So if they win this game, I will officially be on 16-0 watch. 

The Giants defense is terrible, so the only way I see them winning is to somehow exploit our defense and turn this into a shootout. After New Orleans though, I think the Panthers will be wary of making the same mistakes twice. Here's to hoping it won't even be a game and that the Panthers are once again up 21 points in the first quarter.

• Pie 5

1 hour ago, countryboi said:

wonderful write up...this kinda content is better than anything we get from ESPN. on a sidenote the deathstar weakness was really really stupid

But they have to have exhaust ports big enough to release all the hot air from the Death Star's core, and it had to be in a straight line to the core otherwise the air wouldn't exhaust right...

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, PhillyB said:

7) Commit a free safety deep. Now that Jonathan Stewart is out for the foreseeable future, stopping the Carolina rushing attack becomes a little bit easier. The passing game is on fire anyway, so it makes sense to concentrate on slowing it down anyway. Key in that process is the free safety. Instead of dropping him in for run support, or letting him cheat down a little just in case, just commit him to rolling coverage in all but incredibly obvious running situations.

Look at these two plays in the last two games:

Gd7ag0g.gif

IGGEFer.gif

Have you noticed they're basically the exact same play? The Panthers absolutely love sending Ginn on those deep crossing routes, usually in layers with other guys at different levels of the field. Cam has the most accurate deep ball in the league, and his propensity for taking those shots downfield means you can't leave a middle linebacker on a guy like Ginn, like the Saints did. You can't count on a corner to play perfect football and release his lower assignment to come upfield and take the coverage. In both of these plays the free safety was late coming over, either because of having to squat down in run support or freezing between Ginn and a lower-tier route.

Keep him deep. It's not even a question, not after the last two weeks. Ted Ginn Jr. will destroy you if you don't.

I disagree here. One safety doesn't cut it against us unless you've got Earl Thomas. You need both playing a deep cover 2 shell. Almost every time the defense lines up single high in cover 3 or cover 1, Cam audibles to a go route to Ginn, Philly or Funchess. Getting to Ginn on the sideline from the middle of the field is an impossible task. This is how the Cowboys shut down our passing attack. It does leave the middle of the field open to be exploited by Olsen and Cotchery, but if you force us to beat you with dink and dunk over the middle than that is your best chance. The Cowboys do have Sean Lee who is one of the best coverage LBs in the NFL and the Giants don't have anyone close to that, but it's a risk you have to take. You have absolutely no chance to stop us with the way Cam is throwing the deep ball right now. There's a chance if you make us sustain long drives down the field as his intermediate accuracy can be hit or miss. If you make him throw it over the middle and hope he misses high leading to INTs.

The opposing fan refrain of "stack the box, contain rush Cam and double Olsen" is exactly what I wouldn't do.

• Pie 3