• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Star Wars TFA Discussion <Spoilers>

Darth Biscuit

I think the plot was almost exact lol.   Disney is smart, they didn't screw up Marvel either.  I had no worries there going in, especially when it got a pg-13 rating.  I've always felt like Star Wars doesn't reach its potential, it's so close, like right there, but just doesn't.   

I know people are hating on Kylo's "emoness", but I think he'll go down as the best villain we've seen in Star Wars. If you sit back and think about it He was acted perfectly. This kid wants to be Vader (why we don't know yet).  He's trying so hard right down to the mask. Yet when he takes it off he looks just like a dumb kid who isn't sure what he's suppose to be doing.  This kid is a powerful, untamed weapon who could do anything at anytime. The way he throws a temper tantrum and just destroys stuff with his saber because he's mad. He's unstable. The scene where he kills Han...we all knew it was coming. But we sat there thinking "well maybe not. Maybe Kylo is gonna go back to the light". We saw the struggle. We felt the struggle. And then he flips the saber on and we all went right back to being crushed.  He's a kid torn between two paths and it was brilliant acting and character building. He's a human who loves the power he has. And he's being corrupted by it.  We've seen the stoic, quietly powerful Sith Lords that you knew were powerful from the second they hit the screen. Kylo is going to be a roller coaster.  He steps off his ship and stops that blaster fire mid air and you think "holy poo who is this?"  He takes his helmet off and we laugh at his face. We don't know what he's gonna do next or what he's capable of. He's the Joker of the Star Wars universe.   He is what Hayden Christensen was suppose to be. 

4 minutes ago, zacka77ack said:

I know people are hating on Kylo's "empress", but I think he'll go down as the best villain we've seen in Star Wars. If you sit back and think about He was acted perfectly. This kid wants to be Vader (why we don't know yet).  He's trying so hard right down to the mask. Yet when he takes it off he looks just like a dumb kid who isn't sure what he's suppose to be doing.  This kid is a powerful, untamed weapon who could do anything at anytime. The way he throws a temper tantrum and just destroys stuff with his saber because he's mad. He's unstable. The scene where he kills Han...we all knew it was coming. But we sat there thinking "well maybe not. Maybe Kylo is gonna go back to the light". We saw the struggle. We felt the struggle. And then he flips the saber on and we all went right back to being crushed.  He's a kid torn between two paths and it was brilliant acting and character building. He's a human who loves the power he has. And he's being corrupted by it.  He is what Hayden Christensen was suppose to be.

Did you catch Snoke's comment about completing Ren's training near the end?  I think that's the point... Snoke left Ren to be a volatile "child" much like Sidious did with Anakin, for him to form that rage and grow in the dark side, now he'll train him to use that.  Ren has now killed his father (much like Vader killed Padme), formed an enemy in Rey and been defeated so that hate will grow and Snoke can use it to force Luke out and confront him.

As for Snoke, I'm betting he's tiny, like Yoda, but projects himself to be huge like that on the holograms. Just a side thought...

8 minutes ago, Darth Biscuit said:

Did you catch Snoke's comment about completing Ren's training near the end?  I think that's the point... Snoke left Ren to be a volatile "child" much like Sidious did with Anakin, for him to form that rage and grow in the dark side, now he'll train him to use that.  Ren has now killed his father (much like Vader killed Padme), formed an enemy in Rey and been defeated so that hate will grow and Snoke can use it to force Luke out and confront him.

As for Snoke, I'm betting he's tiny, like Yoda, but projects himself to be huge like that on the holograms. Just a side thought...

I think Snoke is a normal size person who projects himself as a giant. Also I think it would be hella cool if Snoke was an ancient Sith holocron.  Like what if Plagueis preserved his psyche in a Holocron? Abrams isn't afraid of pulling from the old EU it seems. So I would love to see him dabble with the idea that one of his students found an ancient Sith relic that corrupted said student ala Exar Kun on Yavin 4. Man I'm excited.

Saw it last night with the wife, really enjoyed it a lot. Was able to completely avoid any details of the movie except the trailers, so was surprised by much. First important thing they did, they introduced a lot of new characters who I liked or was interested in. I did think the movie was a little too much ANH for my taste, but I still really loved it. Thought the giant death planet was awesome looking.

I'm invested in Kylo, as stated in the movie, he has to complete his training, that's why he isn't an unstoppable beast like Vader, he's his own guy even if he wants to be Vader.

I'm curious about what specifically went wrong with Kylo.

I'm guessing in the time between 7 and 8, snoke will be training Kylo while Luke trains Rhea.

Rhea was awesome and sexy btw.

Finally, I REALLY hope this saga doesn't have Luke die. I'm expecting it but we already had Han die for the cause, I don't think Luke has to. I hope not.

1 hour ago, Darth Biscuit said:

Something I thought of overnight plot wise that I thought was strange was if there is a New Republic, why is the Resistance fighting the First Order?  Does the New Republic not have a military?  I thought that a bit odd.

I think this is explained in the book, Aftermath, which is supposed to fill the gap between 6 and 7.  Here's an excerpt from the website I read yesterday:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/16/10245982/everything-you-need-to-know-about-star-wars-before-you-see-force-awakens

After Return of the Jedi, Mon Mothma runs things. In the movies, she was the Rebel leader who gave the "many Bothans died" speech at the end of A New Hope. In Aftermath, her most defining characteristic is that she's scarred by the horror of war. That informs her plans for a successor government.

Her plan is simple: Demilitarize the New Republic. She wants to cut the military by 90 percent. The remaining 10 percent will exist as a peacekeeping force, which echoes the purpose of the Jedi in the Republic before it became the Empire.

This would certainly explain why the Resistance is fighting more than the New Republic.

3 minutes ago, Arroz con Panther said:

I think this is explained in the book, Aftermath, which is supposed to fill the gap between 6 and 7.  Here's an excerpt from the website I read yesterday:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/16/10245982/everything-you-need-to-know-about-star-wars-before-you-see-force-awakens

I thought of the "Resistance" as a Republic funded clandestine force to fight the wars that the Republic can't be connected to.

Mon Mothma turned the New Republic into a bunch of tree huggers after the Battle of Jakku.

After sleeping on this, I like it even more.  I can't wait for my daughters to see it, they finally have an honest to God female kicking ass to emulate.  That's always been their one hiccup with the movies and unless Ahsoka shows up, Rey is that heroine they look for in the movies.  

I hate long winded diatribes on the internet, but I had to remind myself what this franchise's root is (or monomyth archetypes): a B-movie serialized space opera.  And I think it nailed it.  

9 minutes ago, cookinwithgas said:

one thing I either didn't pay attention to or just missed looking at something else: why R2 suddenly woke up and provided the other part of the map? Did Luke use the Force to wake him up after he felt Kylo kill Solo or something?

That's what I am assuming as well.  Luke must be stupid powerful now.  He looked like he was waiting to be found so I'm guessing yeah, he woke it up.

Went to the bar after the showing and just waking up. Was it all perfect? No. But compared to the Prequels its way better, and I would put it ahead of Return of the Jedi and right ever so slightly behind A new Hope which I would have to think qualifies as living up to the hype. I would recommend it to even mediocre Star Wars fans immedietly if for nothing else but to avoid the rampant spoilers that will soon be unleashed in the next 24 hours. There were a lot of spoilers before the premiere I dodged but with so many people seeing it, I imagine its going to be impossible to avoid spoilers if you use the internet if you were planning on seeing it next week when the crowd dies down (which I doubt it will)

1 hour ago, cookinwithgas said:

one thing I either didn't pay attention to or just missed looking at something else: why R2 suddenly woke up and provided the other part of the map? Did Luke use the Force to wake him up after he felt Kylo kill Solo or something?

Yeah had to be either Luke or the force itself somehow...

That begs the other question... what is the "awakening"?  Snoke mentioned feeling it... but they didn't expound on what was awakening?  Rey? Luke?  The Force itself?

1 hour ago, Darth Biscuit said:

Yeah had to be either Luke or the force itself somehow...

That begs the other question... what is the "awakening"?  Snoke mentioned feeling it... but they didn't expound on what was awakening?  Rey? Luke?  The Force itself?

I think it's that force awoke which means there is now more force users in the world.  Maybe it'll be a battle of who recruits fastest now.  

Archived