• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

KK Short Is The Carolina Panthers Defensive MVP

Jeremy Igo

making hard choices is part of having good players. Even with Johnson's albatross contract coming to an end, the Panthers are not going to be able to keep Norman, Star, and KK long term. Trai and Norwell are going to want money too. 

Luckily the Panthers are entering a period where they'll be able to attract cheap veterans who want a shot at a ring, and hopefully Gettleman keeps drafting well and finding those high value/low cost free agents.

Also if I was coleman I'd be holding the fug out after the year I just had. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/kurt-coleman/

That's why the Panthers defense is so brutal to scheme against because they have a legit Superstar All Pro talent at every level.  Short on the line, Luke in the middle, and Norman in the secondary.  How many teams have that kind of talent at every level of the defense?  That doesn't even include TD, Star, CJ, Coleman, and the young guys like Ealy and Shaq who are playing awesome.  

51 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

star won't demand that big of a contract. top ten money for his position bottoms out at 6 a year, which we can afford when charles johnson's hit clears

Kawann is probably looking at $12-14M a year with the way 3 tech DT contracts have been trending.

I think this thread is a ridiculous hot take. Don't overthink this: it's obviously Kuechly as it's been every year he's been here. We won every game he missed? Those games were Jacksonville (he only missed second half), Houston (came close to losing to Ryan Mallett), New Orleans (came even closer to losing to Luke McCown), and Tampa Bay. We've been mostly murdering teams from the point Kuechly returned.

2 hours ago, nctarheel0619 said:

It's Norman or Luke.  I love KK, but we've always had a dominant pass rush, but never have we had a shut down corner to go along with that.  Norman has been that and much more, Defensive MVP is his for sure.  

KK's not even the best DT in the conference.  Hello Aaron Donald.  While there is no competition for J-No right now in the NFC.  

Yeah man, Aaron Donald is a freak of nature.  That's obviously no slight to Short, but AD is just crazy.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, electro's horse said:

Corey Liuget is a good comparison point

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/corey-liuget/

ehh look at his 2014 statline before he got that contract. it blows star's production out of the water. star is a very good 4-3 NT which will give him leverage more so than say a 3-4DE like liuget but i don't see star commanding more than 5/40m on an open market, not based on this as a contract year (tho he could play next year on the option)

1 hour ago, 15 said:

Did you just say we've always had a dominant pass rush lol? You mean as long as you've been a fan?

I meant recently.  As long as I've been a fan?  Coming from a guy that pulls for the Miami Hurricanes, Carolina Panthers, and I don't even want to know the other teams, but is born and raised in Cali?  That's really rich, extremely rich.