• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sinking the Battleship Yamato: a case study of evolution, innovation, and revolution in the NFC South

PhillyB

2 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

i'll be launching three this coming year FINALLY

That's fantastic man.  When you publish it make sure we can get it through amazon.  [Mick Foley cheap pop] Use the amazon link at the top of the page to give support to your very own Carolina Huddle! [/Mick Foley cheap pop]

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, ItsNotGonnaBeAlright said:

Fify

At least I think so...3rd Spur East of the Sun? Used to be in Philly's signature.

95% complete, grad school stymied the final production efforts. it'll be out summer 2016 preceded by an anachronistic political satire and some fun poo a certain huddle poster and i are cooking up for y'all

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, PhillyB said:

when the josh harnett pearl harbor came out i naively expected a tora tora tora remake. i have never been so disappointed in all my life.

Technically, Yamamoto knew even prior to the war that the aircraft carrier was the future strike weapon of the IJN.  He knew, however, that allowing the Yamato (and Musashi) to be built to placate the battleship admiral's was the best way to get what HE wanted, new and better carriers, new and better strike and fighter aircraft.

Now the U.S. Navy?  Yes, as you so well noted, the U.S. Navy was firmly committed to the battleship line all the way until that line laying at the bottom of Pearl Harbor forced their hand to change.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, tiger7_88 said:

Technically, Yamamoto knew even prior to the war that the aircraft carrier was the future strike weapon of the IJN.  He knew, however, that allowing the Yamato (and Musashi) to be built to placate the battleship admiral's was the best way to get what HE wanted, new and better carriers, new and better strike and fighter aircraft.

Now the U.S. Navy?  Yes, as you so well noted, the U.S. Navy was firmly committed to the battleship line all the way until that line laying at the bottom of Pearl Harbor forced their hand to change.

yep. the japanese actually had us completely outclassed with carriers early on in the war. besides the shoho and the four that went down at midway, they had the shokaku and her sister ship, which iirc were the highest capacity carriers on the open sea in the world at the time. the loss at midway (of aircraft, premier pilots, and flattops) was something japan would never recover from. they lost virtually every naval engagement afterwards. and also ironically it was the USN's shitty-ass torpedo bomber runs that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn that allowed the success at midway, since it drew all the zeros down low and allowed the squadrons of dauntless dive-bombers unmolested access to the targets.

also the yamato actually had a shot at doing something useful during leyte gulf. they had basically sneaked down a strait to samar island and on the third day of the largest naval battle in human history and were poised to blast into the bay and absolutely annihilate the precarious troop landings. it was the yamato, i think the nagato, and a shitload of cruisers and destroyers that made up the task force... basically unstoppable. the USN had a couple of shitty CVLs (light carriers) and some destroyers. but they launched the most ferocious and ballsy attack of the battle, flying fighters without ammunition straight at the enemy ships, buzzing their superstructures, dropping random poo at cruisers, destroyers laying smokescreens and then charging out of it for torpedo attacks, etc. the admiral leading it had already had a crusier torpedoed out from under him leading up to the battle and hadn't slept for three days and was basically like oh fug it's the main fleet! and turned tail and fled.

it's likely he'd have gotten bombed to the bottom the next day anyway, but another couple nautical miles southwest and he'd have pulled off the biggest upset of the war and the yamato would've gone down as japan's most effective battleship in terms of kills.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Little known Cliff Clavin factoid.

Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, who commanded the Imperial fleet fancied braided belts.   When divers found the sunken wreckage his pants were also poo stained...

Coincidence?

he died in a plane crash on a remote island in the northwest solomons called bougainville. i've been obsessed with visiting the wrecked of his transport bomber since i was a nerdy eight-year-old who read about his samauri sword never being found. i made it my life's goal to indiana jones that poo and find it.

• Pie 5