• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Unto us a Child is Born: Perfection, Defeat, and the Greatest Story Ever Told

PhillyB

not to nitpick or anything, great post as always, but

Those numbers speak for themselves. Not all of Julio Jones's yards came against Norman, but a huge chunk of them did.

if I remember correctly, it was like 75ish of Julio's yards that came against Norman.  Less than half.  A terrible game by Norman's standards, but not as appalling as the damage he did against the rest of the defense.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, JawnyBlaze said:

not to nitpick or anything, great post as always, but

if I remember correctly, it was like 75ish of Julio's yards that came against Norman.  Less than half.  A terrible game by Norman's standards, but not as appalling as the damage he did against the rest of the defense.

i heard 98, but i could be remembering wrong. still that's trending in the wrong direction and coincides with a marked shift in field application that multiple players themselves have actually reflected in interviews.

default inside leverage in that game is partially to blame, but it's also that zone. i hate to just rip on the zone, because it's used effectively by plenty of teams, including us (remember those awesome keuchly picks against the cowboys? both were the result of phenomenal zone coverage) but it seems like every time we get torched it's because we're running zone and teams are figuring out how to punch holes in it. the deep touchdown against keuchly/coleman was one such example.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, PhillyB said:

i heard 98, but i could be remembering wrong. still that's trending in the wrong direction and coincides with a marked shift in field application that multiple players themselves have actually reflected in interviews.

default inside leverage in that game is partially to blame, but it's also that zone. i hate to just rip on the zone, because it's used effectively by plenty of teams, including us (remember those awesome keuchly picks against the cowboys? both were the result of phenomenal zone coverage) but it seems like every time we get torched it's because we're running zone and teams are figuring out how to punch holes in it. the deep touchdown against keuchly/coleman was one such example.

yea, no doubt.  I'm hoping we can get another stud CB soon, whether by draft or by an uncharacteristic FA splash so we can play more man.  the past few games we've seen what you're talking about, and teams nullifying Norman by simply moving their good WRs into the slot and putting JAG decoys out for Norman to cover. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

yea, no doubt.  I'm hoping we can get another stud CB soon, whether by draft or by an uncharacteristic FA splash so we can play more man.  the past few games we've seen what you're talking about, and teams nullifying Norman by simply moving their good WRs into the slot and putting JAG decoys out for Norman to cover. 

i don't know what the answer is this year. late in the game last week josh norman started sliding into the slot to cover jones, so i'm guessing they're going to be giving josh tons of reps in the slot this week to see if he can work it. peanut outside doesn't bother me, nor does finnegan if he's shadowing a slot guy anyway.

we'll see. we've got the bucs game and then two weeks of practice to figure out a personnel alignment that minimizes the effect.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, PhillyB said:

i don't know what the answer is this year. late in the game last week josh norman started sliding into the slot to cover jones, so i'm guessing they're going to be giving josh tons of reps in the slot this week to see if he can work it. peanut outside doesn't bother me, nor does finnegan if he's shadowing a slot guy anyway.

we'll see. we've got the bucs game and then two weeks of practice to figure out a personnel alignment that minimizes the effect.

I think the only thing we can really do this year is hope the DEs remember how to find the QB.  Looking at the rest of our likely schedule, there aren't any Julio Joneses or OBJs left for Norman to shadow.  Assuming the rest of our schedule looks something like TB, Seattle, Arizona, NE: vs TB Norman will probably be on Evans most of the game, I don't foresee them putting him in the slot much; vs Seattle the biggest worry is Baldwin and they do use him from the slot a lot so we will have to rely on QB pressure to force quick throws and minimize damage; vs Arizona I would REALLY prefer Norman stay on Fitz the whole game even though he's mostly in the slot these days....I could see Brown being a problem for us no matter who's on him so if Norman can shut down Fitz we can try to double cover Brown and hope that Finnegan or Peanut can handle Floyd (I don't think Floyd will be as much a problem as the other two could be); and vs NE we mostly have to worry about Gronk.  Pressure Brady, keep Norman on either Edelman or Gronk (whichever is wide), keep Coleman and Luke or TD on Gronk when he's in the slot or Finnegan when it's Edelman and that should probably lead to the best results for us.  Peanut should be able to handle Lafell or Amendola, whichever is in at any given time.

So, TLDR, the teams we likely have left on our schedule don't have the single beast WRs that some of our recent opponents have had so they won't be able to play the "hide our good WR from Norman in the slot" game as much.  Baldwin in Seattle is the closest thing to that we might have to see.

• Pie 7

4 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Everybody and there mama knows Matt Ryan cant throw a deep ball worth poo and we defended like thats what we were preventing the entire game. We really did not come to play last sunday.

yeah it was really weird. it didn't help that luke and TD both had measurably horrible games, since that inside zone scheme is predicated on your backers taking away those routes. even in the coach's film shots in the OP shaq thompson is a little late coming over underneath julio's slant (though those are damn near impossible to stop anyway.)

sunday's performance is huge.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, PhillyB said:

Hell no! Jesus gutted up and did the manliest, most unselfish thing possible: he laid down his life for his friends. He spent three days in sheol, a Hebrew word that approximates as "Metairie, Louisiana" in English, and then managed to come back from it just in time to crash a house party and teach a bunch of fishermen how it's done, right out there on the Bay. He rallied everyone, saved the universe, sealed Satan's fate, locked his followers in to the ultimate ride to the ultimate destination, and then ascended like a Superb Owl to the right hand of God, where now he sits, smiling down on you and me, waiting for you to accept his invitation to believe.

I chuckled a few times reading your post, but I can't lie, I absolutely lost my poo laughing when I read this.

• Pie 4

Our game 16 opponent and playoff participants will be looking over Atlanta's recipe for beatthepanthers casserole. Let's hope they don't have the right ingredients or get the proportions wrong, while Chef Ron comes up with an antidote for the poisonous pie. 

I don't think Tampa has what it takes to come up a winning meal, but better cooks are already doing the taste test for the playoffs.

• Pie 2