• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam's Clear Case for MVP

Jeremy Igo

When your defense is #1 in turnovers, and as a team we're +20.....we're going to have a lot of short fields.  Couple that with we run the ball 50% of the time.  Cam throwing for 3,800 yards is really like throwing for 4,500 yards if he was on a team that is "average" in turnover differential, and throws it more 65/35, versus running.

Edited by X-Clown on 1
  • Pie 1

But but but! Did you know he only ranks 11th in DYAR? For you baboons who don't understand statistics, DYAR is Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. It means controlling for the defenses he faced, how many yards did Cam get versus what a replacement level player would have gotten in the same situation. It's basically a mathematically justifiable "but who did they play really?" argument, which I wouldn't expect you IDIOTS to understand!

Dating back to 1989, every QB who was named MVP finished in the top 5 of DYAR. It's an ABSOLUTELY IRREFUTABLE means of determining who the MVP is! I mean, based on that metric alone, one can CLEARLY see that even Matt Stafford is a better candidate for the MVP!

And Cam? Ha! Cam has never even finished in the top 10 of this foolproof metric* [*which is an EXCLUSIVE, innovative metric brought to you by the statistical wunderkinds at Sports Outsiders, and is reserved exclusively for use by their audience, and are not meant, under any circumstance to be viewed my mouth-breathers who cannot fathom the algorithms working behind the scenes to bring you such dynamic analysis] So unless this statistic somehow doesn't take into account how Cam Newton plays the position differently from the statuesque QBs who routinely finish in the top 5 DYAR (evidenced by him being the first QB ever with 35 passing TD and 10 rushing TD in a single season) then I think we can all agree that on this basis alone, Cam Newton should NOT be the MVP.

No, sorry! Clearly Carson Palmer is the MVP, with his glisteny, shimmery  #1 rating in DYAR.

I feel sorry for you dullards who actually WATCHED the games! I've got a stat sheet, a TI-83+, and a statistical justification from Sports Outsiders (aka the SMARTEST PEOPLE IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD). If you had come to me first, I could have saved you the time, and just told you who MATH (the language of GOD!@!) says the MVP should be.

No go sit in the corner in your little dunce cap and let the REAL FANS (the ones who not only know what sabermetrics are, but have taken the time to point out the obvious flaws in their methodology) talk about what everyone else should REALLY know about football.

• Pie 5

7 minutes ago, FootballMaestro said:

In fairness: You can say that about many draft picks.

Nonetheless, as  I've said numerous times here. Contrary to popular belief. Newton was the consensus #1 pick 1 month before the draft with NFL people.

Problem is: Most people (including her on the huddle), only listened to media people and faux Draft experts, who overtly tainted their opinions-besides their own biases-of Newton. So they find this incredulous to believe.

Ron Ron and his staff did themselves, and/or read all the necessary research (film breakdowns, interviews, background checks, etc...) as the NFL draft pool scouts. Therefore, they had a lot less question marks regarding Newton as many media and fans did (Think Jameis Winton, and all his troubles, while still a #1 pick).

No one in the media was talking about Real NFL stuff. It was all in their mind and hearts. Not surprisingly, many folks on sites like this, just repeated what they heard from dumb media.

Agreed.

The media is very powerful and a lot of people just believe whatever the media says because they don't have a mind of their own. 

I was shocked at how many people thought Cam was going to be a bust just because the media said so. I guess they were blind when Cam was at Auburn.

I think I might cry when Cam accepts his MVP trophy. LOL!

Seahawks fans are getting desperate. This is pathetic.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/1/2/10701790/cam-newton-mvp-carson-palmer-better-tom-brady-too

Do these guys realize all those fancy metrics don't account for context, like the offensive scheme and the offensive talent. Yes, Wilson is a very accurate passer, but his ridiculously high completion %  is hugely attributed to the West Coast offensive scheme the Seahawks run and a very sure-handed WR corps.

Seahawks fans are using a list of metrics no one cares about, like DYAR/completion %/QBR, to argue for someone other than Cam. Hello, TDs are what actually wins you games and Cam has 45 total TDs, is leading the #1 scoring offense, and has led his team to a 15-1 record.

I'm just glad since Brady and Palmer both lost, there's not even a debate and it basically forces the MVP voters to vote for Cam whether they like him or not.

Edited by pantherking15
  • Pie 2

13 minutes ago, Montsta said:

Please look at the stat tables provided and let this sink in. Had Cam Newton thrown just one more touchdown pass, and ran for one more touchdown, he would have led the NFL in BOTH passing and rushing touchdowns. 

I haven't gone back to check, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's never been done before in the history of the league, and that no one else has come as close as Cam did this year. 

Thats MVP right there. 

image.png

image.png

He is the first with 35 & 10 tho...

29 minutes ago, Cookie Lyon said:

Agreed.

The media is very powerful and a lot of people just believe whatever the media says because they don't have a mind of their own. 

I was shocked at how many people thought Cam was going to be a bust just because the media said so. I guess they were blind when Cam was at Auburn.

I think I might cry when Cam accepts his MVP trophy. LOL!

I remember, when a Buffalo fan asked their GM at the time about Newton's "troubles" and question marks, etc..; around the draft. And the GM responded (paraphrase) 'Newton's fine. And if the Panthers don't draft him, we would. But he was the #1 pick for sure'.

However, folks who were listening to the fantasy laden, hate filled media and faux draft experts were repeating what they were saying. Meanwhile, NFL people had a lot less questions about Cam, and most in the media just ignored it.

I saw some of those draft reports (the real or fair ones), and they were glowing in their reports on Cam in almost all phases, especially on his background checks.

Edited by FootballMaestro