• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Top 3 Offseason Priorities

Jeremy Igo

Can't just assume Ealy is the same guy we saw Sunday moving forward. Olivier Vernon will cost too much, I'm curious to see the market for JPP. He's someone I hope they keep an eye on. We need pass rushers. 

As someone who has preached offense I want us to go heavy D in FA. Id love another corner opposite of Josh (who is getting tagged). Tillman's done and Bene is nothing more than a slot corner. 

Travis Benjamin and Jermaine Kearse are two WR's I like but WR's always tend to get overpaid and I believe it's smarter to draft WR's early to save money which will allow us to "keep our core". Tyler Boyd would be a nice add for the slot. We have no idea how Benji will bounce back and Funchess isn't ready to be the number 2 yet so WR is a must early in the draft. We aren't signing Alshon. 

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 1

I agree about Josh... offer him like a 3 year deal, good money but if he won't sign it, then franchise tag him. There have been a lot of corner backs in history who had magical seasons and teams locked them up long term, only to get burned down the line. Thinking back on our own history, Doug Evans came to mind. We signed him in 1998 (I believe) to a 5 year, $23 million dollar contract which at the time made him one of the highest paid corner backs in the NFL.  Anyway, Doug had just come off the Super Bowl win with the Packers, hopes were high about his future, and well, the rest is history. Sorry, I'm not ready to give Josh an 8-year+ deal, especially at his age, and because I think we're putting a lot on just this year's performance alone. Keep him, yes, but just franchise tag him and move onto other needs unless you can work out a fair deal that doesn't kill us.

I just hope we make a lot of smart decisions because I don't take our future for granted.

The way I look at Cam, he is awesome because he can do so much physically no other QB can do. The issue is, how long can he keep this up? History shows us that a physical quarterbacks doesn't stay physical forever. I realize that the coaching staff trusts their 6'5" 245lb quarterback and they give him the OK to run into defenders, but right now the guy is 26 years of age and he feels invincible. Can you honestly see him flipping over people at 30? Maybe he will still be SuperCam, but I think his window of opportunity to play at such a level is limited to just a few more seasons.

I'd like to see us make an effort to win and win now. The truth is we need to do some work to get us over the hump, especially next year when we will be favorite to win a lot of games and the challenge will be much different than it was as underdogs.

I just get nervous with Cam because it seems like every time he gets sacked or hit, the guy has this look on his face like he just burst an appendix! I don't know if it's simply drama on his part like MJ in the NBA Finals against the Jazz, saying he was struggling with the flu as he knocked down 3's! BUT i seriously think Cam is in agony a lot because he plays so physical, so again, let's do what we need to this off season to take advantage of the Cam we have now.

39 minutes ago, Kevin Greene said:

With the FT I would be very concerned of Norman pulling a Julius Peppers and refusing to sign it. Who blinks first, could be a huge problem with our offseason moves in limbo.

After the JPP thing last year, I don't think that you will see that very much anymore.

1 hour ago, Adb6368 said:

It would be a little disappointing if Wegher never turns out to be more than a backup considering we wasted a spot on the roster every single game for him.

The thing is, the roster spot wasn't wasted. Like other marginal active guys who saw little playing time at their position, Wegher and others did have value on special teams. And what players on some team's practice squad would you have put on the roster in place of Wegher, or other bottom roster guys, that WOULD have seen significant playing time? Don't forget we weren't yet out of the salary cap hole that had been dug, and Gman's philosophy is to build a team that can sustain, vs. throwing all your money at this season or next season. It's a good bet that our overall talent level on the 53 will improve for next season though.