• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Top 3 Offseason Priorities

Jeremy Igo

I don't if we know enough to say for sure Gettleman's M.O. is to build through being frugal in FA... Its hard to eat at Ruth's Chris when you have 3 dollars in your pocket. This is the first year he's had some real money to play with, I think this is off season are uncharted waters. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Match.com said:

I'm sad...not only because our guys played their ass off but the fact this team is blown up. And they deserve to be champions

We've been playing with proverbial band-aids for half of our DBs and if you really wanna call our team as being "blown-up," it should be stated in terms of improvement across our backfield.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Do we look at replacing Ginn? We will also draft a LB in the top 4 picks. BTW, Harper replacement anyone? Boston could start next year but it's time to grab a safety if there is one ripe for the picking.

We drafted Shaq to replace TD when he retires, so I can see the team drafting a WLB if he is a BPA at our pick.

i truly believe this team has the personnel to draft BPA, regardless of our needs...especially considering that we have enough overage in our cap situation to acquire upgrades to our weaker positions.

i do, however, have a feeling that the front office will stay conservative in FA as signing our younger core-players are paramount (Star, KK, J-no and players along our OL.) 

On February 10, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Jeremy Igo said:

Now that the Carolina Panthers offseason has begun, it is time to look ahead to the team's priorities. 

1. Josh Norman will receive the franchise tag paying him 14 million. Dave Gettleman won't sign Norman long term, although it could be easily argued Norman has earned it. Instead, he will be franchised for at least one more season. This is not ideal for either party, Norman or the team itself. But, this is sometimes a necessary evil in today's NFL. Yes, Josh Norman gets a nice pay check for a year. The problem for him is he is coming up on 28 years of age and could risk being injured this season. That would mean an unlikely top paying long term contract in 2017. There is a risk here for Norman to lose tens of millions of dollars overall in his career. Keep an eye on this. It is possible Norman could demand a sign and trade to a team that can afford his services long term, like the Oakland Raiders for instance. 

2. Shore up the pass rush. Dave Gettleman told us this in so many words at his press conference yesterday. Kony Ealy showed tremendous promise in the Superbowl with a performance on par with the Superbowl MVP Von Miller. Ealy is just now coming into his own, and like Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy, could break out in his third year in the league. Charles Johnson will either be released or will be extended at a very cap friendly deal. Normally I would say Johnson would be released for sure, but his relationship with Panthers owner Jerry Richardson has me second guessing it. There isn't a stronger mutual player/owner respect in the league. Look for the Panthers to make a strong push in free agency for an up and coming player or spend one of their top 2 draft picks on a defensive end. Remember, free agency sets up the draft. 

3. Find your future runner. Gettleman told us one of his three pillars of a winning philosophy is running the ball. Jonathan Stewart will likely be retained for one more season, but after that the Panthers currently do not know who their future feature back is. Cameron Artis-Payne saw mixed results during the season, showing an issue holding on to the ball. Brandon Wegher they like, but the fact that he was only active for one game tells me they see him as a long term backup. Does this mean that both have no shot at being a feature back? Of course not, but it does mean that the Panthers will look to minimize the possibility of not having a true feature back in 2017 and even 2016 if Stewart is injured. I can easily see the Panthers signing a quality free agent runner or spending a top 3 pick on a running back. 

View full article

Alfred Morris, would make a whole lot of sense. Younger, possibly cheaper, healthier, and possibly more effective.

11 hours ago, RumHam said:

Do we look at replacing Ginn? We will also draft a LB in the top 4 picks. BTW, Harper replacement anyone? Boston could start next year but it's time to grab a safety if there is one ripe for the picking.

If anyone has earned a spot, it's Ginn. He stepped up huge this season. Next season he'll have luxury of not being forced into a #1 receiver role. Plus he only costs us 1.4 million and is a viable punt returner.

Not so sure about Harper. I think Boston (or a new guy) takes his starting spot, but he could still be an asset if he works cheap. Especially if we draft a safety that he can mentor.

On 2/10/2016 at 9:40 AM, QUESERVATIVE said:

Honestly I believe that Johnson and Allen are gone it frees up 19 million in cap room. Jared has beed inconsistent as well as Johnson hurt. I believe tha it would be better to send that ship sailing. I also believe that we need to to add one more wide reciever. Alshon Jeffereies would be wonderful with KB, Funch, Ginn and Brown ..... I believe that we do also need to look at Olivier Vernon from Miami in free agency as another pass rusher to create domination on the Defensive side. J-No will get the franchise tag, because that how Gettleman works. Plus J-No can stay humble and prove that this years was not a fluke. Overall we have a helluva young squad, and these additions will only fuel a fire after losing the big kahuna. My only worries are with Tolbert and Tillman. I like them but something tells me that Gettleman will break our hearts in that area. BTW how do you guys feel about McClain and Finnegan?

Say it ain't so! I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Tillman left on his own. He's had a hell of a career and a lot of injuries. He could sign a friendly contract for a shot at SB51. If so, cool. He balled out until his injury. 

I hope Tolbert is back! Finnegan will likely re-retire and McClain still has a lot to prove in preseason.

I to would love to see a receiver that is sure handed. He doesn't have to be a mountain like KB or Funches or a speedster like Ginn and Philly, but he needs to catch the ball when it hits him in the hands. A younger version of Cotchery that Cam can use as a safety valve.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:00 AM, The Huddler said:

How do we know Dave "wont" sign Norman long term? 

Whats wrong with the idea of tagging him and trying to reach a deal this offseason?  The franchise tag acting as insurance if a deal isnt reached. 

I doubt we will even try to sign him long term. Gettleman will just tag him and rent him for one year.

On February 10, 2016 at 9:30 AM, LawCat said:

Seems like it would be in everyone's best interest if JNo signs a 4 year deal here for a hometown discount, that pays him $9-10 Million a year. We get him for a relative bargain and he gets financial security. If we end up tagging him...sure he gets $14 Million but with no other guarantee. Maybe he has a sub par year, maybe he gets hurt. He will also be going on 30 this time next year, will other teams be willing to pay shell out top flight CB money to a 30 year old CB? I think Revis was about 30 when he got his last deal...but will JNo really command Revis money?

I trust your sources just thinking out loud.

Four year deal does nothing for Norman. You think he wants to be earning another contract at 32? He is going to want 5-6 years. DG would probably be willing to go there but not at 12+ million per year...which I agree. Norman is a great player but right now he's got 1.5 years of proof and a bunch of people who think he is a great "scheme" corner. IMO he'd be wise to push DG for 5 years 50 million. Be taken care of for life. Maybe get another 10-12 million on the back end of his career. 

Or...he can go play for the Raiders and achieve nothing as far as a team is concerned and be like Asomugha. He'd probably make an extra 10 mil over the life of his career. Couldn't blame him if that's what he does...just not going to win.

Corners: Tillman is probably retiring. Same with Finnegan. I doubt Norman stays past 2016. Benwikere appears to be good. McClain I don't think provides much potential. Need to find some corners to bring in. Gettleman hasn't appeared to have had any issues with rebuilding the secondary each year so not a huge worry imo. Wouldn't mind drafting someone though...

OTs: We need at least new one OT. I figure that will wind up being Williams replacing Remmers. But would be nice to find a franchise LT and then Oher is pushed to RT to compete with Williams.

DLine: Dwan Edwards is aging. Jared Allen is done. Alexander is done. We might not even be able to afford both KK and Star. CJ is getting expensive and coming off his least effective season. Addison is situational and I dunno about Love being a starter. Need to go after DLmen. Thankfully this draft class is hella deep and the FA pool is solid as well.

On 2/12/2016 at 1:18 AM, cardiackat88. said:

Alfred Morris, would make a whole lot of sense. Younger, possibly cheaper, healthier, and possibly more effective.

Well as to Running backs we could be looking at Derrick Henry Running back from Alabama. And safety I heard Darian Thompson from Boise state is on the rise on most draft boards.