• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Important Carolina Panthers Offseason Dates and Events

Jeremy Igo

On 2/11/2016 at 5:00 PM, KB_fan said:

Thanks for this, Jeremy.  A couple of questions.

1) What's a "transition player"?

2) Re: Free Agency - among our players who are designated as Unrestricted Free Agents - notably guys like Tolbert, Love, Webb whom we might want to re-sign - will there be contract talks or deals BEFORE March 7th, or do those talks BEGIN on March 7th?  If I understand correctly, any UFAs we haven't inked to a deal by March 7th can be signed by other teams.  Is that right?  I haven't usually followed the Free Agency process too closely....

3) Am I correct in understanding that on our RESTRICTED free agents (guys like Remmers, Bersin, Hill) we get a chance to match the offer any other team makes?

Yesterday I asked "What's a "transition player""

Today I may have found at least a partial answer in an article at NFL.com on players who might be tagged this year:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000635791/article/franchise-tag-primer-miller-cousins-top-candidates

» The exclusive franchise tag is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player's team has all negotiating rights to the player.

» The non-exclusive franchise tag is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player can negotiate with other teams. The player's current team has the right to match any offer, or receive two first-round picks as compensation.

» The transition tag is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount that is the average of the top 10 salaries at the position. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player may receive from another team. The transition tag can only be used if the franchise tag is not used by a team in that year. Transition tags can be rescinded, but teams that rescind a transition tag cannot use it again until next season.

At least my knowledge has increased a little bit.  I'm still not quite sure I understand who the different types of tags apply to. 

I assume we'd tag Josh with an exclusive franchise tag if we were to tag him?

For those interested, an article at NFL.com estimates the franchise figures for various positions:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000636218/article/estimated-2016-franchise-tag-figures

NFL Media's Albert Breer reported in December that teams were given a projected 2016 cap of between $147 to $153 million. As Breer notes, the cap range given to teams for budgeting purposes tends to be on the low end. Therefore, if we use $153 million as our starting point (an increase of just under $9 million from last season) we can estimate the franchise tag cost for each position (transition tag in parenthesis).

Quarterback: $19.6 million ($17.5 million)
Defensive end: $15.4 million ($12.5 million)
Wide Receiver: $14.4 million ($12.0 million)
Linebacker: $14.0 million ($11.7 million)
Cornerback: $13.7 million ($11.7 million)
Offensive line: $13.5 million ($11.7 million)
Defensive tackle: $13.4 million ($10.7 million)
Running back: $11.5 million ($9.5 million)
Safety: $10.6 million ($9.0 million)
Tight End: $9.0 million ($7.6 million)
Kicker/Punter: $4.5 million ($4.0 million)

If the salary cap rises even more than $153 million, these one-year figures would also increase accordingly.

On 2/11/2016 at 0:00 PM, KB_fan said:

Thanks for this, Jeremy.  A couple of questions.

1) What's a "transition player"?

Transition player gets the average of the top 10 players at his position (franchise player gets avg of top 5). If another team makes an offer, we can match it; it we don't, they can walk and we get nothing in return. (Non-exclusive franchise, we get two first-round picks from the other team). 

• Pie 1

• 1 month later...

The Panthers' Dates for mini-camp, etc. have now been posted:

Players Report: April 25;

OTA Offseason Workouts: May 24-26, May 31, June 1-2, June 6-9;

Mandatory Minicamp: June 14-16

This doesn't include rookie-specific events.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000649568/article/nfl-announces-offseason-workout-program-dates?

Due to our Super Bowl run, the Panthers are reporting a week later than other teams.  Some teams (with new head coaches) report tomorrow, April 4.

• Pie 1

• 2 weeks later...