• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Kony Ealy the next great Panthers defensive end?

Jeremy Igo

16 minutes ago, Riverboat Ron said:

How the Giants, Chiefs and Browns passed over Gettleman boggles my mind, the guy has one of the best eyes for talent I've seen in a long time.

he has major film room chops and a great understanding of football due to his complete immersion in many different aspects of it for decades.  that sounds mundane but it's the difference between him and a GM like marty hurney and so many others.  it leads to excellent value signings like michael oher which, as i'm sure everyone here remembers, was an absolute joke and garnered a massive wtf type reaction when it was announced.  nobody was really excited about kurt coleman when was brought in either.

i love reading fans of other teams discussing the guy.  almost every one of them is going "where in the hell did this guy come from and how did he get passed over so many times".  giants fans in particular have plenty of colorful things to say.  it's nice to be on that side of things for once i have to admit.

• Pie 5

41 minutes ago, Louie said:

This morning on WFNZ on the MaC Attack, Ron Rivera was being interviewed and said "to be honest, I wasn't as high on Kony Ealy as Dave Gettleman, but he said,  Ron, this is your next Josh Norman. Ron thinks it is starting to click with Ealy and he believes he is poised to do great things next season." I thought it was interesting at how honest Ron was when talking about a player.

This is exactly what I was pointing out to those who think that he should have played all year and that Rivera unfairly played veterans over him.  Ealy is just like Josh Norman in that he has very good talent and could be a dominant player.  But he wasnt because he came in overweight, showed inconsistent effort particularly in the first half of the year and needed to be shown that regardless of whether he was a second round pick, he was going to earn a starting spot.  So like Norman, Ealy was used situationally and didnt start every game.  I think like Norman, he now gets it and will come in next year ready to play and prove to everyone his worth and become a leader on the defensive side of the ball.   It is up to him to take the opportunity and run with it or continue to underperform and not live up to his potential.

• Pie 2

37 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Also DG said in his presser that Norman and Ealy are hardheaded types of people. I think that speaks to them being hard to coach. He said Ron and his staff really had to get those two to believe that the coaching staff wanted the best from them on and off the field. It was a trust thing, I guess.

i do think we will see a jump from Ealy. I'm not talking about 15 sacks or anything but you will see him flash more as the game slows down for him. Getting more reps as a starter won't hurt either.

agreed. I wish other folks understood how important it is for players to buy into the system, play their role and be coachable.. Folks who have coached sports at a competitive level understand that there are often players who have good skills but they are a detriment to the team if they dont buy into the philosophy of the team.  They not only underperform their potential but hurt team chemistry and a sense of fairness among the players.  I love that Gettleman and Rivera are willing to sacrifice short term gains for long term success.  Too many times coaches play guys with great talent who act as if they are entitled or special and dont have to put out the effort that everyone has to put out.  That always divides players and the locker room.   

• Pie 3

14 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

This is exactly what I was pointing out to those who think that he should have played all year and that Rivera unfairly played veterans over him.  Ealy is just like Josh Norman in that he has very good talent and could be a dominant player.  But he wasnt because he came in overweight, showed inconsistent effort particularly in the first half of the year and needed to be shown that regardless of whether he was a second round pick, he was going to earn a starting spot.  So like Norman, Ealy was used situationally and didnt start every game.  I think like Norman, he now gets it and will come in next year ready to play and prove to everyone his worth and become a leader on the defensive side of the ball.   It is up to him to take the opportunity and run with it or continue to underperform and not live up to his potential.

Two things to add to this post which gets overlooked sometimes.

1: There is a reason guys like him slide out of the 1st, even with immense talent.  If the guy just "doesn't get it" that can push you down teams boards.

2:  And some of us forget this....many of these guys get drafted in the top couple rounds, and think that they are rich.  Lot's came from very little, and have never had "money" in their life.  They get 2.5M guaranteed and think that they can buy nice cars, buy momma a house, and never have to worry about money.  After year 1 or 2, a lot of that money is either in Uncle Sam's pocket, Drew Rosenhaus's pocket, or has slipped through their fingers....they really start to "figure it out" and realize that the HUGE deal they signed isn't nearly as big as they thought.

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, Riverboat Ron said:

Imagine if Carolina keeps Big Money, then does a sign and trade for Norman getting a 2016 1st from the Raiders or Jags. The possibilities would be endless with a GM like Gettleman. We could end up with two first rounders a second and possibly two thirds in the unlikely event we get a compensatory for Hardy. 

Has this EVER happened?  Every year people are all like "Sign and Trade this star player for a 1st round pick!".  Has it ever happened in the NFL?  Not just the with Panthers, I'm talking any team...