• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Mock Draft Rounds 1 - 3

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, CatMan72 said:

I like the Hunter Henry pick @ 30, but if the "other" Henry (Derrick) is there I think we go with him. Don't see any way Shaq Lawson survives till the 2nd round, too much of a premium on pass rushers. 

I've just noticed an intriguing possibility.  The TRIPLE HENRY option:

• Derrick Henry  RB - round 1
  • Hunter Henry  TE - round 2
  • Willie Henry DT - round 3

That would be fun, but confusing as hell....!

I just took two of the Henrys in my latest mock draft using the composite board at Fanspeak.  It was a nice 5 round draft:

30:  DE KEVIN DODD, CLEMSON

62: TE HUNTER HENRY, ARKANSAS

94: DT WILLIE HENRY, MICHIGAN

130: RB CJ PROSISE, NOTRE DAME

169: P DREW KASER, TEXAS A&M

(The punter was pretty much BPA on the board based on NFL.com draft grades at our pick in round 5..., and it fit a need, so why not.)

Derrick Henry went at #26 to the Seahawks in this mock.  Even if Derrick Henry had been on the board, I think I still would have taken Dodd instead...

Hunter Henry is going in wildly differing spots depending on the big board one uses.  In some mocks he's going mid 1st round, in many other mocks he still falls to us in round 2...  will be interesting to see if teams are willing to draft a TE in round 1.  Certainly the success of Gronk & Olsen has to show the value of a star TE, for any teams caring to pay attention.

That draft plus a round 7 gem found by G'man would not upset me at all.  But of course Gettleman has forgotten more football in the past week than I'm likely to know in a lifetime...., so while I'm having fun with mocks, I don't really claim to know what I'm talking about, and I trust Gettleman pretty completely.

Edited by KB_fan

5 hours ago, CatMan72 said:

I like the Hunter Henry pick @ 30, but if the "other" Henry (Derrick) is there I think we go with him. Don't see any way Shaq Lawson survives till the 2nd round, too much of a premium on pass rushers. 

Something weird is going on with Lawson. I don't know if it is his shoulder or what, but his stock is sliding. Out of nowhere right around the combine in-the-know mock drafters started putting him at the bottom of the 1st and putting Dodd near the top 10 without really any explanation at all.

In-the-know refers to the guys in the media that actually have connections with scouts and GMs and their mock drafts typically reflect what they hear from their connections rather than what their opinion on the player is. Jeremiah, McShay and Mayock are examples of those guys. When something mysterious, like Lawson dropping and Dodd rising without explanation, happens in their mocks it's usually something to pay attention to.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, KB_fan said:

I've just noticed an intriguing possibility.  The TRIPLE HENRY option:

• Derrick Henry  RB - round 1
  • Hunter Henry  TE - round 2
  • Willie Henry DT - round 3

That would be fun, but confusing as hell....!

I just took two of the Henrys in my latest mock draft using the composite board at Fanspeak.  It was a nice 5 round draft:

30:  DE KEVIN DODD, CLEMSON

62: TE HUNTER HENRY, ARKANSAS

94: DT WILLIE HENRY, MICHIGAN

130: RB CJ PROSISE, NOTRE DAME

169: P DREW KASER, TEXAS A&M

(The punter was pretty much BPA on the board based on NFL.com draft grades at our pick in round 5..., and it fit a need, so why not.)

Derrick Henry went at #26 to the Seahawks in this mock.  Even if Derrick Henry had been on the board, I think I still would have taken Dodd instead...

Hunter Henry is going in wildly differing spots depending on the big board one uses.  In some mocks he's going mid 1st round, in many other mocks he still falls to us in round 2...  will be interesting to see if teams are willing to draft a TE in round 1.  Certainly the success of Gronk & Olsen has to show the value of a star TE, for any teams caring to pay attention.

That draft plus a round 7 gem found by G'man would not upset me at all.  But of course Gettleman has forgotten more football in the past week than I'm likely to know in a lifetime...., so while I'm having fun with mocks, I don't really claim to know what I'm talking about, and I trust Gettleman pretty completely.

That would be a really great draft IMO. 

alright guys. tried another one.  "think" like Gettleman is almost impossible because I truly believe with the offseason moves and the comments made he is going for BPA. Meaning it will be hard for anyone to guess who he selects in the 1st round because it all depends on how the draft unfolds and who is there at 30.  With adding Boykin I don't believe CB is going to be selected in the 1st and with the "Elite" offensive tackles gone and also Lawson and Dodd gone, what other option is to add FEAR in the eyes of our opponents and draft a bruiser.  The rest of the draft unfolded with me added key players to fill holes and add depth.   As you can see OL wasn't addressed because of the talent level in the later rounds. Plus Rivera has said the team has won 22 out of 25 games with Remmers at RT. Although I think he isn't the long term answer we are in a spot to add great skill and depth:

Round 1 Pick 30: Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama (B+)
Round 2 Pick 31: Su'a Cravens, OLB/SS, Southern California (A-)
Round 3 Pick 30: Charles Tapper, DE, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 4 Pick 31: Tyler Higbee, TE, Western Kentucky (A)
Round 5 Pick 29: Charone Peake, WR, Clemson (A+)
Round 7 Pick 31: Juston Burris, CB, NC State (B+)

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, Catufb85 said:

alright guys. tried another one.  "think" like Gettleman is almost impossible because I truly believe with the offseason moves and the comments made he is going for BPA. Meaning it will be hard for anyone to guess who he selects in the 1st round because it all depends on how the draft unfolds and who is there at 30.  With adding Boykin I don't believe CB is going to be selected in the 1st and with the "Elite" offensive tackles gone and also Lawson and Dodd gone, what other option is to add FEAR in the eyes of our opponents and draft a bruiser.  The rest of the draft unfolded with me added key players to fill holes and add depth.   As you can see OL wasn't addressed because of the talent level in the later rounds. Plus Rivera has said the team has won 22 out of 25 games with Remmers at RT. Although I think he isn't the long term answer we are in a spot to add great skill and depth:

Round 1 Pick 30: Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama (B+)
Round 2 Pick 31: Su'a Cravens, OLB/SS, Southern California (A-)
Round 3 Pick 30: Charles Tapper, DE, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 4 Pick 31: Tyler Higbee, TE, Western Kentucky (A)
Round 5 Pick 29: Charone Peake, WR, Clemson (A+)
Round 7 Pick 31: Juston Burris, CB, NC State (B+)

Horrible

3 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Horrible

Really? I'm not a huge fan of Henry and it's pretty well established that I'm not a fan of Cravens for us and I would be pretty happy with that. Tapper, Higbee and Peake in 3, 4 and 5 would be awesome.

On 3/21/2016 at 4:32 PM, Troys99x3 said:

I'd be extremely pleased with the first two picks. Especially if we could land Karl Joseph in the 3rd. That would be a stellar draft.

If we move up to take anyone in the second, our third round pick, fourth and/or fifth will likely be used as compensation (depending on the spot we are trying to move up to). I will say that if we could bag Joseph in the third, I would be OK with that.

1. Derrick Henry

2. Hunter Henry

3. Karl Joseph

That'd be great!