• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Josh Norman holdout looming?

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, dldove77 said:

Greg Hardy put himself in that position. No one did that to him. I don't see Thomas Davis putting himself in that position. Greg Hardy's life decisions got him where he is today. 

If we are being technical the hold incident happened because he was trying to remove himself from a bad situation, yes he was determined guilty by a female judge in a bench trial but i still think till this day the whole thing wasnt resolve properly and Hardys verdict is more public perception than the view of the law. But thats another discussion.

Far as Thomas davis goes, he is one of very few good samaritans in the league. Most of these players in the league are dirty, they just haven been caught.

7 minutes ago, Bartin said:

Yes. The Patriots franchised Matt Cassell after the year Brady got hurt and traded him for a 2nd(plus maybe more) to the Chiefs.

Again, I could be wrong, but I believe Cassell signed his tender and then got traded. Either way, a trade does not equal getting signed to an offer sheet and the original team declining to match. 

Edited by dldove77
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

If we are being technical the hold incident happened because he was trying to remove himself from a bad situation, yes he was determined guilty by a female judge in a bench trial but i still think till this day the whole thing wasnt resolve properly and Hardys verdict is more public perception than the view of the law. But thats another discussion.

Far as Thomas davis goes, he is one of very few good samaritans in the league. Most of these players in the league are dirty, they just haven been caught.

I don't think I'm being technical. It's what happened. Not many guys in the history of the Panthers have put themselves in the scenarios that Hardy did. He only has himself to blame for no longer being a Panther.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, dldove77 said:

Again, I could be wrong, but I believe Cassell signed his tender and then got traded. Either way, a trade does no equal getting signed to an offer sheet and the original team declining to match. 

Ah ok, yeah I misread what you meant. Cassell did sign his tender and then got traded so you're right about that. As for your scenario, that's not really possible since once the offer sheet is signed the two 1sts are locked in as the compensation. The tendering team, I believe, has to trade the player's rights to another team for there to be negotiated compensation and I don't know that has ever happened but I believe that's what we tried to do with Peppers.

Edited by Bartin
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, dldove77 said:

I don't think I'm being technical. It's what happened. Not many guys in the history of the Panthers have put themselves in the scenarios that Hardy did. He only has himself to blame for no longer being a Panther.

The guy thats the greatest in the teams History did a couple of times and we kept him around.

Edited by CPF4LIFE

3 minutes ago, dldove77 said:

Has any team ever signed a non-exclusive franchise tendered player to a deal and not had to give up two first rounders? I can't remember any. Not impossible I'm wrong, though...

I dont know really.  Good question.  I would think it rarely happens that players are offered contracts from other teams unless the team that franchised them did so with the expressed purpose of trading him and made it clear they could be had for less than two firsts. . it doesnt happen often because not only are you paying the player top five money at his position but also paying the other team compensation of at least 1 first if not 2. There arent that many players that good and most times the team that franchises them also signs them to a long term contract like KC did with Justin Houston did last year.  But note the deal wasnt done until the last minute in July. 

I doubt we would have franchised him if we had no intention of trying to sign him long term. After the Hardy fiasco I would think we would think long and hard before we franchised another player.  Sometimes things dont work out but I think we will try hard to sign him.  The question is whether Gettleman sees him as a long term solution or not.

On call...

Cleveland, Miami, Jacksonville, Oakland, and San Francisco.  Hell, he even said he liked it there last month and they have nearly $60 million in cap space BEFORE they get rid of Kaep.

Maybe JNo and our 4th for #7 overall.  Or, since they'll wanna keep that for their next QB, two of the three between their high 2nd, Joe Staley, and Antoine Bethea, both older than JNo.

Don't F with the godfather JNo.  His terms or else.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

I think he was serious about 'QB money'. I don't think this is one of those situations where a player is trying to get the most out of his current team.

It is fine to say that but who would pay him that kind of money.  He had one great year not 5 or 6.  All teams have to do is throw away from him and he becomes a nonfacto. Look at last year. After he got the four picks early, how many did he get the rest of the year.

• Pie 1

I don't blame Josh for wanting to get his contract. I do blame him for his outrageous opinion of himself (Top 5 All-Time? Come on, Norman.)

I don't blame the Panthers for not wanting to give him big money long-term. He's a CB, who has proven himself for 1.5 seasons, "aging", has a bit of diva in him, and frankly we've won with a no name secondary before.

Obviously I'd love a strong secondary, and Norman to stay long term, but I've never seen it happening. KK and Star are more important hands down. Hell, Kony could prove to be more important. If anything, give him monster numbers for 2 years or so if the team thinks he's that important....take it or leave it. My money is on Getts in this showdown, no matter the outcome. 

• Pie 2