• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Josh Norman holdout looming?

Jeremy Igo

44 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

It is fine to say that but who would pay him that kind of money.  He had one great year not 5 or 6.  All teams have to do is throw away from him and he becomes a nonfacto. Look at last year. After he got the four picks early, how many did he get the rest of the year.

Someone probably would have if he wasn't tagged. Janoris Jenkins got $12M/year and he's only 10 months younger, an enormous idiot and not nearly as good. Yes, the Giants way overpaid and it was a stupid deal, but all it takes is one team for a guy to get a ridiculous contract.

• Pie 1

Can't blame him. Shitty situation though.

I think a reasonable deal can be reached, but it's probably going to come down to contract length, it's not in the best interest of the team to offer much more than a 3-4 year deal. That's just the truth of the matter.

3 hours ago, KSpan said:

Would you go in today and take a voluntary 15-20% pay cut at your job? People have this notion that since a few more zeros are involved no one should care about money, but everyone wants to be compensated what they believe they're worth, particularly if the market supports it. Plus, while unlikely the possibility does still exist that a player could be severely injured or even crippled on any given play and never make another dime in the NFL.

Unlike guys like CJ who have made bank and can feel comfortable leaving some money on the table, Norman has never had a big contract and this will pretty much be his only shot. I don't blame him one bit for looking to maximize his earning potential.

KSpan, that compairsion just doesn`t work. We can not pretend that an NFL contract is the same as a "regular" job`s contract. JNo is well off for the rest of his life, simply by signing his tender. He earns even more money with endorsements. He has the best possible healthcare and docs while playing - for free and he can easily pay for insurance for the rest of his life after football no matter what. There are no student loans to pay back, because he had his college degree for free. Compairing his situation with a regular job is not the right thing.

And to answer your questions, yes, I would play CB for the Panthers for 7 Mill. per year, even for 5 Mill, or say 3 or 1. I would still see my few years in the NFL and being with one of the best organisations/owners as a blessing. I would not care if Mr. X or Mr. Y makes this or that. I would be fine with the huge overpayment that I get for playing sports. I am playing sports and make big dollars, not working my butt off day in day out just to pay my bills. I would be fine with that. I would not be an arrogant, money hunting ahole like most of the players are.

But I don`t even really blame them, they don`t know better, because their agents and surrounding spoil(ed) them. And I don`t blame anyone supporting their standpoint. I just think todays money hunger eats a lot of basic, human values, and this disgusts me.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Kakarot said:

I hope Josh is able to get the money he wants and deserves, even if it's not with us. He bet on himself last year, and won. I don't blame any player for trying to get the most that he can.

Having said this, there's no way I pay J No QB money. I probably wouldn't go north of 12 mil, even though I feel he deserves top QB money. I've been of the mindset that this is Josh's last year as a panther. Play out the tag, and then go get his big money. 

17 minutes ago, osd22 said:

KSpan, that compairsion just doesn`t work. We can not pretend that an NFL contract is the same as a "regular" job`s contract. JNo is well off for the rest of his life, simply by signing his tender. He earns even more money with endorsements. He has the best possible healthcare and docs while playing - for free and he can easily pay for insurance for the rest of his life after football no matter what. There are no student loans to pay back, because he had his college degree for free. Compairing his situation with a regular job is not the right thing.

And to answer your questions, yes, I would play CB for the Panthers for 7 Mill. per year, even for 5 Mill, or say 3 or 1. I would still see my few years in the NFL and being with one of the best organisations/owners as a blessing. I would not care if Mr. X or Mr. Y makes this or that. I would be fine with the huge overpayment that I get for playing sports. I am playing sports and make big dollars, not working my butt off day in day out just to pay my bills. I would be fine with that. I would not be an arrogant, money hunting ahole like most of the players are.

But I don`t even really blame them, they don`t know better, because their agents and surrounding spoil(ed) them. And I don`t blame anyone supporting their standpoint. I just think todays money hunger eats a lot of basic, human values, and this disgusts me.

It absolutely is appropriate because it's the exact same core comparison - at the end of the day, would you or would you not work for less than you're worth? If not, why should anyone else choose to and, more importantly, why should they be looked down upon for choosing not to?

Your final two paragraphs come off as quite judgmental and holier-than-thou. Noting that you probably know zero NFL players on a personal level, and are therefore unqualified to characterize them, perhaps you should stop following a sport full of "money hunting aholes" if you're so disgusted by them.

Edited by KSpan

22 minutes ago, KSpan said:

It absolutely is appropriate because it's the exact same core comparison - at the end of the day, would you or would you not work for less than you're worth? If not, why should anyone else choose to and, more importantly, why should they be looked down upon for choosing not to?

Your final two paragraphs come off as quite judgmental and holier-than-thou. Noting that you probably know zero NFL players on a personal level, and are therefore unqualified to characterize them, perhaps you should stop following a sport full of "money hunting aholes" if you're so disgusted by them.

No one on planet earth makes what they think they are worth.

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I am disgusted by the money hunting attitude that pro sports comes with these days. That doesn't mean I should quit following it and pointing out what I think. 

Basically, I just doubt that anyone playing pro football is worth what they are getting or asking for. I find it totally wrong and I find it wrong to compare their situations with the ones of 'ordinary' people like you and me.

But hey, I accept your standpoint, that's totally ok. I am all in for fair, reasonable discussions. Being Panthers fans doesn't mean we have to agree on everything. Cheers. 

• Pie 3

5 hours ago, dldove77 said:

Would anyone here be satisfied if someone else signed him to a long-term deal and we settled for the two first round picks?

Edit: I should answer my own question, I guess.

If Josh could get the money he wants and we could get two firsts, I think I'd be okay with it. Tough to lose a talent like him, but that's life. And he won't get franchised again. I'd rather get something for him than just a potential compensatory pick.

Honestly, i think this is the best case scenario. I'd be ecstatic 

• Pie 2

I doubt he really expects top QB kind of money, but I would guess he expects to be paid as one of the top CBs in the league.  Based on last year you can make the argument that he deserves something in the range of 5yr/$70m.

If the Panthers don't want to go that high then Josh is going to have to decide:

Take $14 million this year and try to get paid as one of the top CBs next year.

or

Take a little less per year now for a long term deal that has more then $14 million guaranteed. 

If Josh hits the open market next year would there be a team willing to pay him as much or more then what Peterson or Revis make now?  Those are the type of questions he and his agent have to ask themselves.  

I am all for everyone making as much as they can.  I think the idea of "hometown discount" is a bit overplayed by a lot of fans. More times then not that is an older player chasing a ring, one that has made a lot already.   Usually when you see a player take a little less per year it is for long term security opposed to a short term deal.

• Pie 1