• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Josh Norman holdout looming?

Jeremy Igo

5 hours ago, osd22 said:

That kind of money hunger is disgusting to me.

Wtf why? If you were poor and at one point had to sleep on your friends couch with only a dream of playing in the NFL you wouldn't try to capitalize on your value when it's at its highest it ever will be? I have to question your sanity or atleast your realistic expectation of how these things go down.

6 hours ago, CWORS said:

I think DG either gets a deal done or bring in Norman's replacement in the draft...can't really say if DG grabs a CB in the 1st then Norman is gone but it would seem more likely.

I think we're drafting Norman's replacement regardless.  Us drafting Harlan Miller is inevitable at this point. 

• Pie 1

Panthers GM Dave Gettleman said he is comfortable going into the season with cornerback Josh Norman playing with the franchise tag if a long-term deal can't be reached. Gettleman and Norman's representative have met at the NFL owners meeting in Boca Raton,Fla., but remain far apart on average salary for a four-year deal, league sources said. Norman has yet to sign the tag.

Video up on ESPN

David Newton@DNewtonespn 2m2 minutes ago

#Panthers GM Dave Gettleman said he is comfortable going into the season with cornerback Josh Norman playing with... http://es.pn/1RhCucf

Edited by Leeroy Jenkins PhD

28 minutes ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

Wtf why? If you were poor and at one point had to sleep on your friends couch with only a dream of playing in the NFL you wouldn't try to capitalize on your value when it's at its highest it ever will be? I have to question your sanity or atleast your realistic expectation of how these things go down.

See earlier posts for my answer. Cheers. 

Edited by osd22

5 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

Josh can be considered a core player. And yes he is worth it. All that stuff you were babbling on about his character and impact were the ramblings of an emo 12 year old. 

Josh was a 5th round pick, he's had to climb his way to the top in every single program he has been in. Anyone who says anything about Josh wanting his market value and being upset about a long term contract need to look in the mirror and ask themselves that very question in their own job markets. My guess is the ones who question Josh's integrity and character still live in mommas basement and use daddy's credit card. 

He is a core player now. I just don't see him as a core player in 5 years. I think a good estimate is 3 years for how long he can maintain his probowl level. Guys like Luke, Cam, KK, Star, Trai will all be core players in 5 years barring injury. 

I'm fine with letting Norman go for some draft picks.  However, two first round picks are very unrealistic, but something like a 3rd and 6th round could happen.  With two 3rd round picks, we could double dip at corner.  Pick up Harlan Miller, which some are saying is Norman's clone, and then maybe grab Cyrus Jones from Alabama.  He could be our nickel and PR.  But, more than likely, Norman will be a Panther. 

Make no mistake, Gettleman is a big picture guy.  That means that he is not looking at Josh, his monetary value, and his on-field value in a vacuum.  He's looking long-term, and I'm sure he has a plan mapped out on a schedule of who are priority re-signs and who we may have to let walk.  It doesn't mean he doesn't value these guys, or that he doesn't think they are worth what the market would pay them, just that they may not fit financially within the bigger picture for Carolina's cap health.  And that's where I think Josh fits.  He's a very good player who is worthy of a 12-14 mil./year contract, but with all of the other core players that will soon be needing an extension, I think Gettleman has Josh as a lower priority than guys like Star and KK.

I think it's clear from both what he has said and his actions thus far that Gettleman places more value on the front seven and skill positions (i.e. touchdown makers) than he does the secondary.  That doesn't mean he doesn't want good players back there, just that he believes that a strong front seven makes them better, and that a solid, but not necessarily spectacular guy back there can flourish if you get pressure up front.

Bottom line, IMO, if Josh stays, it's going to be at a discount from what he wants, and probably closer to 10 mil. a year than the 12 or 14 he probably deserves. 

The Redskins received compensation of two first round draft picks from the Carolina Panthers for not matching the Panthers offer of 46.5 million dollars. {AP, Associated Press 21 April 1998} Gilbert returned to RDE in 1998 and recorded 81 tackles, 25 quarterback pressures, and 6 sacks, starting all 16 games. In 1999 and 2000 Gilbert moved to his preferred right defensive tackle position and averaged 50 tackles and 3 sacks during those two seasons. In 2001 Gilbert switched to left defensive tackle and recorded 25 tackles and 2 sacks. He was injured and played in only nine games (starting all of them).

I think JN is a product of our system.  You put presure on QB and he tends to throw wild passes a lot! Josh is great at playing center field.  We been in salary cap hell long enough and do have the makers of that scrambling QB to pay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Gilbert

7 hours ago, Bartin said:

Someone probably would have if he wasn't tagged. Janoris Jenkins got $12M/year and he's only 10 months younger, an enormous idiot and not nearly as good. Yes, the Giants way overpaid and it was a stupid deal, but all it takes is one team for a guy to get a ridiculous contract.

I can't deny that some teams are so desperate they way overpay decent talent.  Glad we aren't one of them.

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, dldove77 said:

Would anyone here be satisfied if someone else signed him to a long-term deal and we settled for the two first round picks?

Edit: I should answer my own question, I guess.

If Josh could get the money he wants and we could get two firsts, I think I'd be okay with it. Tough to lose a talent like him, but that's life. And he won't get franchised again. I'd rather get something for him than just a potential compensatory pick.

Hell yeah I would be okay with that.