• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Josh Norman holdout looming?

Jeremy Igo

There is simply no chance any NFL team will sign Norman at the cost of two #1 picks. Post rookie salary cap agreement #1s are just too valuable based on potential production versus cost in the salary cap era.

There is also no chance we pay Josh Norman like a top tier QB.

Reminds back in the Julius Peppers hysteria when I tried to post a thread on the what ifs.

Google/Huddle search rocks. Here's what Gettelman must do:

Leave the FT contract on the table with a hard date Josh knows when it's pulled.

Continue to negotiate with Josh on a fair/reasonable contract for both parties.

If by a predetermined date Norman is not under a signed contract then he must be released and we will wait for the 3rd round compensatory pick next year. We cannot be held hostage deep into the Draft and Free Agency not knowing where Norman's potential cap dollars will be used.

If unlike Charles Johnson Josh Norman does not want to be a Panther.

giphy.gif

This is a business.

Edited by Kevin Greene
  • Pie 1

8 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Why do you have to start every post with a smartass, misinformed comment?  I can see the future---we all get older.  Not a newsflash.  Damn, son. 

NOT giving him a deal based on the majority of CBs over 30 is playing the odds--not predicting the future.  Giving him a deal at top dollar because a few elite CBs have played into their 30s IS predicting the future--wise up.

Why are you making broad statement on a player that has been great for us the last two season while getting paid peanuts? Your gonna predicts a man's future I'm gonna give a smart ass response 

Norman is part of the elite tier of corners and most elite tier corners play at a pro bowl if not all pro level in there 30s Champ Bailey, Woodson, Ty Law now Revis. Norman's game was never based on athleticism so the chances of him burning out early seem a little far fetched  

And like I said we can always reconstruct his deal if his talents diminish, its not the end of the world. 

8 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Why are you making broad statement on a player that has been great for us the last two season while getting paid peanuts? Is this contract paying him for past performance?  If not, then this point is invalid.  Your (grammar--"You're" is correct and would have given you credibility.  Now I have some idea of what I am dealing with here, FWIW) gonna predicts (really?) a man's future I'm gonna give a smart ass response Not your job to police my logic--- Here is what you do not understand, scholar---How is giving him elite CB money NOT predicting his future?  That is what contracts are--pay for expected performance.   I will pause for you to realize your cognitive error so you can try to come up with some illogical response that is so void of proper perspective that I will exhale and shake my head slowly with pity when I read it.                       OK, I am back.

Norman is part of the elite tier of corners and most elite tier corners play at a pro bowl if not all pro level in there 30s Champ Bailey, Woodson, Ty Law now Revis. Norman's game was never based on athleticism so the chances of him burning out early seem a little far fetched    But the CBs you mentioned were great athletes-.  Bad, bad comparison. They lost a step physically, but gained 2 mentally.  If his game is not based on athleticism, then that proves my point--we don't need to pay a shut down corner.  Regardeless, you make a HUGE mistake when you make decisions based on the performance of a few exceptions.  Norman has solid technique--nearly flawless, but when he loses a step--and that happens to most athletes at age 28, he could start to find it more difficult.  On top of that, Norman is pretty new to the scene.  Now offensive coordinators have had an offseason to study him.  Don't expect the same results moving forward, but you want to pay him for what he has done up to now--flawed logic.  Finally, Norman has had some fairly poor and older (Florence, Tillman, etc) CBs on the other side--when Norman got hot, they simply threw toward our liabilities.  

I love Norman now, but will I when he is studied and figured out?  I do not think he is worth what he is probably asking because, although he---like you---wants to compare himself to the biggest names at the position, the resume or potential is not the same.

And like I said we can always reconstruct his deal if his talents diminish, its not the end of the world. 

Direct responses to your discourse above in bold:

Your last point is the most valid, but reconstructing deals prolongs the inevitable and never saves the team money--it usually costs the team more.  I would give him top 5 money--but guarantee less than 50% and make it front loaded.  Norman probably wants top dollar, guaranteed at 60% or higher.  Gettlemen is not stupid, and he is not going to sell the farm for a position that, in the current system, can be replaced.  It is about asset allocation.  Fundamentally, we will pay for certain positions, but will not be held hostage by a CB.  I want him re-signed, but an athlete that relies on speed peaks at 27.  Norman will be 28.  He is playing great right now, but it is not predicting the future to realize that his athleticism will diminish. That is certain.  No crystal ball needed.  No psychic reading.  It happens to every single athlete.  All of them.  So YOU are predicting that it will not happen to him in the next 4 years--that he will defy the odds like a very few exceptions have.  THAT is predicting the future.  Would you put $50 million on the fact that his skills will not diminish and he will not be worse in 3-4 years than he is now?   I would not.  He wants 4 years of top $$$.  Again, trust Gettlemen.  He is not going to regret a deal in 2018 he made in 2016. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

If he wants to actually compete, and win, particularly for a championship, get a deal done here.

He can talk about L.A. as much as he wants, the Raiders aren't going to be doing jackshit for awhile. Even he knows this.

Edited by TheRed

We all have to make a living.  Josh is wanting as much cash as he can get, just like Cam and everyone else.  You would all do the same.

If he is wanting crazy money for real, then sign and trade with someone might be the best route.  But, we are a long way from having to hyperventilate.

At this point, it is a negotiation.  Nobody is throwing bombs yet, so I suspect we will know something before the draft.

I would think a 3 year with a 4th year option, total about 42 million would be enough