• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers will target offense in round one

Jeremy Igo

In 2011, to his credit, Marty Hurney took the chance on the perceived riskier, home run pick, and that's exactly what Derrick Henry is.  I think he's a home run here and not sure if there's a player in the entire draft that would strike more fear on this team if he fits in as I think he would.

If we got Hunter as well I think the punting job would be the most useless, who cares position in sports.

• Pie 3

Think fans tend to underestimate the difference in opinion of players from the outside vs the inside, last year not many of us thought that OLB was a need because AJ Klein had played pretty well, most of us didn't trust Oher to do anything and wanted to overdraft an Offensive Tackle. We don't see enough of CAP or Wegher to know if the front office thinks they need replacement, or if they plan to use two tight ends as much or more this year if they get a compliment to Olsen. From the outside every mock drafter in existence is saying OT or DE, but if Gettleman, Rivera and the coordinators sees another gem hiding somewhere its going to influence selections. Yes we go BPA, but going 100% BPA is ridiculous, it should say "we always go value vs need" so that we maximize snap opportunities with quality.

I would not be suprised to see Gettleman trade out of the first round this year, its a very deep, but weak at the top draft, and even though he has stressed the importance of that extra years contract in the first rounders, if he can get more ammo to move around rounds 2 and 3, I think he will take it

3 hours ago, DOMOMAN said:

Think fans tend to underestimate the difference in opinion of players from the outside vs the inside, last year not many of us thought that OLB was a need because AJ Klein had played pretty well, most of us didn't trust Oher to do anything and wanted to overdraft an Offensive Tackle. We don't see enough of CAP or Wegher to know if the front office thinks they need replacement, or if they plan to use two tight ends as much or more this year if they get a compliment to Olsen. From the outside every mock drafter in existence is saying OT or DE, but if Gettleman, Rivera and the coordinators sees another gem hiding somewhere its going to influence selections. Yes we go BPA, but going 100% BPA is ridiculous, it should say "we always go value vs need" so that we maximize snap opportunities with quality.

I would not be suprised to see Gettleman trade out of the first round this year, its a very deep, but weak at the top draft, and even though he has stressed the importance of that extra years contract in the first rounders, if he can get more ammo to move around rounds 2 and 3, I think he will take it

I don't see him trading out of the first. They have a few first round grades placed and one of them will be there. They won't risk losing a first round pick. 

• Pie 3

I really wish we got the 3rd for Hardy as I could almost guarantee Getts moving up in the 2nd to grab a guy he had a 1st rd grade on ala Funchess

We are teetering between higher/fewer quality players and lesser/more quantity players to fill out the roster

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Panthro said:

I really wish we got the 3rd for Hardy as I could almost guarantee Getts moving up in the 2nd to grab a guy he had a 1st rd grade on ala Funchess

We are teetering between higher/fewer quality players and lesser/more quantity players to fill out the roster

Guarantee we go lesser\ high quality..maybe 4 players out of the draft.

• Pie 1

He visited with the Seahawks, and I can't see them passing on him honestly.  He is a big physical running back, and they just lost their's to retirement.  With how successful that team was over the past few years on how their offense worked, seems like a no-brainer to me.  

Yes Russell did well when Lynch got hurt, but I still see them looking at the past 3 years and what was successful and take him as their pick.  

Edited by Dunn
  • Pie 2

My concern with this would be what it would cost us to trade up in the second because we don't have a lot of fire power to move up.  If we traded our 2,3,4,5,7 we could get around the 10th pick in the second.  If we traded our 2,3 we could get to around the 16th pick in the second.  Trading our 2,4,5,7 would get us to around the 23 pick in the second.  May as well just stick around and see if someone else we like falls.

• Pie 1

While a trade down is the obvious pie in the sky scenario a lot of times....don't underestimate teams wanting the 5th year option for rookies. Think of the situation we're in right now with Star and KK. 

At 30, IF Gettleman hits another home run....we'd have that player on the cheap for 5 years....not 4 years and then paying him upwards of 10 million. Could mean a lot to the Panthers with the amount of guys we have to sign over the next couple of years, and the Cam/Luke contracts ending around that time. 

• Pie 4

24 minutes ago, Dunn said:

He visited with the Seahawks, and I can't see them passing on him honestly.  He is a big physical running back, and they just lost their's to retirement.  With how successful that team was over the past few years on how their offense worked, seems like a no-brainer to me.  

Yes Russell did well when Lynch got hurt, but I still see them looking at the past 3 years and what was successful and take him as their pick.  

I agree, and this would make me hate Seattle more then I already do, as I see derrick as a steal...big and freakishly fast for his size.