• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers will target offense in round one

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I have a hard time buying that if one of the better DEs is there, we'll pass them up.

If all the best pass rushers are gone, then I could see it.

Agree.

I like both Henrys, and in a lot of the mocks I've been doing, a run on defensive players has been leaving offensive guys as BPA in both rounds 1 & 2.   It's hard for me to know whether that's just due to inflexible computer algorithms though which may be giving higher position values / priorities to DEs, DTs, OTs, than TEs or RBs and which can't take into account the human factor that a certain player possesses unique skills or talent or is a particularly good fit for a team.

Hunter Henry lands as BPA at our pick #62 in round 2 in a huge % of the drafts I'm doing.  But I have trouble believing that would really happen since the TE talent is so shallow in this class.  A team that really needs a TE may grab Henry early, even if they wouldn't normally take a TE in round 1 because they know there's not much depth behind him, whereas there is a LOT of depth at some of the positions often prioritized in round 1, such as DE / OLB, DT and OT....

Given the ABUNDANCE of Dline guys with first round grades, it does make me think it will be hard for Gman to pass up one of them...

Edited by KB_fan
  • Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

You really are a dumbass.  Hurney drafted for need every draft. It was the reason why our drafts failed so often after the first round. 

But don't let the facts get in your way. 

lol compelling argument with a great touch of originality in your cop out insult too. 

I'm rubber you're glue whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Especially true when it comes to the draft when they hold their cards as close to their chest as possible publicly. Smart thing to do. 

Unfortunately you have posters conduct entire strawman arguments based on a circular reasoning loop of logic that is rooted entirely of what these guys saying they are doing in press conferences 

4 hours ago, The_Rainmaker said:

Yes he did with Luke Kuechly when we had the chance of drafting Fletch Cox when we where in bad need of DT help.

Lol we drafted Kuechly because of Beason's injury. It was widely discussed and that's not bpa. We could never be bpa with Hurney because we didn't draft well enough or bring in quality FAs. 

Regardless of the first, I think DL could be a strong possibility in the 2nd considering the amount that could potentially have a first round grade on them by DG.

Also, while watching Hunter Henry's vids, I couldn't help but notice how well he could fit in our offense.  It's usually hard to spot on the receiving end but that offense he was in had some strong similarities and the routes he ran+the passes he grabbed just makes it seem like a really solid fit. 

6 minutes ago, Growl said:

lol compelling argument with a great touch of originality in your cop out insult too. 

6 minutes ago, Growl said:

Like I said don't let the facts get in your way... 

7 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

But just in case I have not convinced you yet that the Panthers will be going on the offense in round one, take a look at Dave Gettleman's draft pick history...

2013 - Defense

2014 - Offense

2015 - Defense 

2016 - Do I see a pattern here.... ?

Well you do have a 50-50 chance to be correct.....

Jack Ryan: Has he made any Crazy Ivans?

Capt. Bart Mancuso: What difference does that make?

Jack Ryan: Because his next one is going to be to starboard.

Capt. Bart Mancuso: Why? Because his last was to port?

Jack Ryan: No. Because he always goes to starboard in the bottom half of the hour.

[Mancuso looks at a clock, and sees it's near the half-hour mark]

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, jdpanther5 said:

Gettleman does follow a strategy closely resembling BPA, but he also pretty clearly utilizes a "horizontal draft board," as some refer to it, to rank the players. Every year he makes comments that indicate it isn't as cut-and-dried as taking the top player on a ranked list. "We considered taking a receiver in nearly every round (2014)" comes to mind. 

He won't sacrifice talent for need, but if multiple players are ranked similarly he's probably gonna pick the one that addresses the need. Star at 14 was absolutely the best player, one who had been considered a top 2 pick prior to his heart condition. Kelvin probably ranked similarly with players at other positions and the need broke the tie, so to speak. Shaq was an absolute luxury pick at LB, but the rumor was he became the highest remaining grade the second Arizona took Humphries so he was "BPA."

I also don't think 3 years is enough time to discover a pattern between offense and defense, especially when those are the only two (reasonable) options. 

This^^^^

BPA and need at a position are not necessarily mutually exclusive in DG's strategy.  If you look at both those factors, many of his picks make a ton of sense (ie, the BPA at an area of need).  Many draft prognosticators highlight one area (area of need usually) to the exclusion of the other (BPA).  Pretty easy for most people who even casually watch football to see what an area of need is for a team - DG's strength is determining talent, ie, the BPA portion of the equation, and balance it with the value of the pick for the area of need.  That may mean that when you balance things out, the BPA at an area of need may not be a position that immediately jumps out to all of us (or most of us).

5 hours ago, Montsta said:

I did a long write up last year about BPA. Gettleman is keenly aware that a teams needs are always a fluid, evolving change. It's the need vs. BPA dichotomy that constantly requires balance. A few years ago we had Hardy and CJ and had a great defensive end tandem. Hardy leaves and CJ falls off and all of a sudden it became more of a need. Last year, it would seem, CB wasn't a need with a young Benwikere coming off a great rookie campaign and Norman turning into one of the leagues best corners. 

Fast forward a year and Norman is all but out the door and Benwikere wasn't playing like he did even before he got hurt the latter half of the year and CB now doesn't look as good. 

That being said, Gettleman signed Boykin so he could focus on the draft as he likes to do. So yes, Gettleman does seem to like to go after the best player available, with obvious caveats of that player not being at a position where he has no chance to play (QB or MLB being mentioned by Igo specifically). 

Edit: I don't know why the part about Hardy is highlighted?

I think that when G-man talks about BPA, he really means that he isn't going to reach to fill an obvious need (like OT was in 2014, and we thought it was in 2015). In the inverse, he is not going to draft a player that we have absolutely no need for (QB). 

And I agree that Shaq was a bit of a luxury pick last year, but we have him on the cheap for 5 years and TD is under contract for 2 and will be 35 when that runs out with a body that he has torn apart for us. Shaq is a need, and we were in the position that he didn't have to be an every down contributor as a rookie.  For what it's worth, we are in that same position this year.

• Pie 4

8 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

In round one, I feel the Panthers will be targeting offensive players. Yes, yes, I know, right now you are screaming "Best Player Available". That is a platitude that gets spread around far to often. Ever notice how over the last three Dave Gettleman drafts, the round 1 selection was also in an area of great need? Funny how that works.

View full article

If you had taken a poll the night before last years draft (and we probably did) asking what position is our greatest need in the draft, I doubt linebacker would have been in the top 3. Further, you say that we always happen to draft based on an area of great need in the first round, but you're predicting a TE. True, we need depth, but TE is one of the most productive positions on the team right now. 

• Pie 1