• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers will target offense in round one

Jeremy Igo

I would agree that the draft is very top heavy with DLine and even though that its a high need for us, I could only really see 1-2 DL that we would take being there at 30.   In the first round teams really need to do their due diligence and make sure they don't waste a 1st round pick on a bust.  With the DLine being the most talented and has the more depth, I could see the major of the top DL being gone by 30 because of teams wanting to make sure they get the biggest bang for their buck.  With that said I could see a WR or Tackle falling to us or even a CB as well.  I would really consider taking the likes of Docston, Derrick Henry, Taylor Decker, Coleman, or some of the CBs like William Jackson at the 30th pick.  If Gettleman's man isn't there at 30, I don't completely rule out GettleFather making his first trade back into beginning of 2nd round because the value of that pick doesn't necessarily change that make.   Now with the Panthers having the MOST complete team in the NFL with few holes other than depth to address, I also could see Gman turning those 6 picks into more of like 4 picks trading up and going after HIS guy.

Only time will tell really as Gman is going to pick the Best Player Available at 30 whether Offense or Defense. 

One thing people arguing about Hurney and Gettleman and BPA strategy are forgetting is the following:

BPA for Hurney ≠ BPA for Gettleman. Two different GMs, two different scouting companies, two different backgrounds, two different ways in constructing a draft board.

I truly believe that Hurney believed he was taking the BPA based on the board they put together. Now was that necessarily the case after round one? Hell no, hardly ever. But it's who they had rated highest in a position that required depth and or an immediate need so they pounced. 

I trust Gettleman far more than I do Hurney when it comes to picking BPA, because he was a scout and has a better eye for talent overall than Hurney ever did. Props to Hurney for getting the first round right year after year, but after the first he was just not good at identifying the best available talent. 

1. You need a lot more than 3 drafts to find a pattern.  There is definitely no defense one year and then offense the next year pattern.  That gives me a headache from rolling my eyes so hard.

2.  I talked to a guy last week who been a college coach over the last 20 years with a few years coaching on NFL teams.  I asked him about Derrick Henry.  He said that he'd didn't consider him a first round talent and that any running back from Alabama is suspect when transitioning to the NFL.  Said he's taken so many hits already in his career he almost washed up by the time he gets to the NFL.  Also, said in the NFL a RB has to have the ability to make someone miss in the hole and Henry can't do that.

Now, I know that's only a minute off the cuff conversation with a guy I just meet but I agree with him in addition to other negatives people have of Henry.  Runs to upright.  Lack of quick acceleration to hit the hole.  Etc.  I'm not a scout but the more I read of Henry the more and more he reminds me of a slightly taller Eric Shelton. 

Personally, I think we'll end up with the best available from DE, S, or CB in that order.

2 hours ago, bryn10 said:

I pray we don't draft Henry.  I don't want a gigantic RB that takes forever to hit the hole.  Especially one from Alabama. 

Whenever I look at some of his vids, I just don't see a back taking forever to hit the whole, I see a back who hits the hole with authority when it's called for, but also has the patience and vision enough to let the line do its job. Sure he runs upright, but some of the better backs in NFL history ran upright. 

Moreover, this notion of Bama backs being used up is just the height of lazy analysis in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Panthers think he is a first round talent.  That's all u need to know. 

Hey, if the Panthers take him I pray I'm wrong.  Gettleman knows infinitely more about football that I do.

I am curious as to how you know this though.  I know being a photographer on game days and this site give you a lot of insight to the team and palyers but  I'm of the believe that outside of Gettlemen and the scouting staff no one really knows for sure who is rated where.  Even most players in years past that have been interviewed have no idea what the front office is thinking.