• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers NFL Draft Wide Receiver Prospects

Jeremy Igo

The Carolina Panthers have spent a first and a second round pick on receivers over the past two seasons. I don't see the Panthers going receiver in round one this year, but it is quite possible they spend a later pick to shore up their receiver corps. They won't go for a taller possession guy, but instead go for a smaller receiver to stretch the field and play in the slot. Although the Panthers really do like Philly Brown, a little camp competition would not hurt. 

Here are a few middle round receivers I feel fit the Panthers needs nicely...

Sterling Shepard - Oklahoma

5'10 - 194lbs

High intelligence clutch player with 86 receptions and 11 touchdowns. Excels when under pressure, which is something that goes overlooked far to often. Looks like he has the ability to rise to the occasion of being a professional. Shepard would instantly lessen the pain felt by the departure of Cotchery. 

A lot of comparisons are being made to Tyler Lockett, minus the punt and kick return ability. Excels in the slot, where the Panthers have the greatest receiver need. Having both Benjamin and Funchess on the outside with a shifty sure handed receiver in the slot would prove problematic for even the best NFL defenses. 

If Shepard is there late in round two he would be a decent value pick. If he is still there in early round three, it may be worth a trade up to grab him, as Gettleman has shown willingness to do. 

Pharoh Cooper - South Carolina

5'11 - 203lbs

Cooper is one of those guys that Dave Gettleman has shown he is willing to take a chance on. Cooper doesn't have the greatest measurables.  What he does have is play making ability and the sort of discipline it takes to be an NFL player. Cooper's father and brother are US Marine's, which would only endear him more to a certain NFL head coach. 

Take a look back two seasons ago when Gettleman selected Bene Benwikere and Tre Boston. Neither were NFL combine studs, but both shared the same traits as Pharoh Cooper. Play making, discipline. 

Cooper could fall to the 3rd or 4th round. His biggest problem is that he doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but instead does everything pretty well. Those types of players tend to fall in the draft as teams don't know exactly where he would fit. If Cooper is there in the 4th, he would be a good value. Keep an eye on it. 

Colby Listenbee - TCU

6'1 - 183lbs

Should the Panthers decide on more of a project at receiver, Listenbee could be the guy. Last season the Panthers showed they were interested in a fast receiver to stretch the field by keeping Damiere Byrd on the practice squad. Listenbee could be an upgrade over Byrd and have a shot to make the regular roster. A 6'1 receiver than can run a 4.35 40 may be worth a 5th or 6th round pick. I mean.... why not. 

View full article

• Pie 6

I think Shepard is going to end up being one of the top 3 receivers in this class, and he fits our team perfectly.  Best route runner since Beckham, 2% drop rate, and he gets open quickly and consistently.  Tons of experience beating press coverage.  I'd be happy with him at #30 and absolutely thrilled if we got him in the second round.

As someone who has watched a lot of Cooper, you need to go back and watch his tape of his freshman and sophomore seasons to appreciate what he can do in the league.  The QB situation at USC was abysmal last year and he played the entire season with a sprained knee (hurt it in practice right before the season opener).

His measurables are not the greatest but he's an impact player nonetheless. Like DG says, he doesn't look the best in underwear but if you suit him up he shines.  I think he's a 3rd round talent but he could slip into the 4th.

• Pie 6

I really like Shepherd...don't think he'll last till the end of the 3rd though.  I've heard a little buss on

Cooper from this board, but I thought it might just be Gamecock homers.  I've looked into him, and like

Jeremy said, didn't see anything that stood out.  Finding out his background makes me more curious.

While I do think the team likes Brown, I think it's only as depth (as in 4th receiver or so).  I don't get the sense they view him as a core primary target.  Shepard will likely be gone by the middle of the 2nd.  So, if the team wants him, they'll almost certainly have to take him at 30 (which I'd be happy with). 

Generally, I tend to agree with you that the team won't be focusing on WR, but slot is still a need.  And if they feel a guy is there that is dynamic and can complete our WR trilogy (KB, Funch, slot guy) for the foreseeable future, I could easily see them pulling the trigger. 

• Pie 1

I think Carolina is pretty set at WR.  I dont see them drafting one.  They didnt pick up Norwood for nothing and seem hell bent on keeping Hill around for whatever reason and Bersin still plays well outside of returning punts.  KB, Funch, Philly, Ginn are solid at the position, Norwood and crew are decent depth.  I seeing carolina targeting DE, S, CB, and oline positions if they dont go the BPA route. May also be looking for someone for kickoff return duties.  I do see them making a move for Hunter Henry if hes there in the 2nd.

Edited by chknwing
  • Pie 2

Total Gamecock homer here (obviously)...

Cooper is an absolute baller. Over the last 2 years he was SC's offense. They had no one else. Teams came in with scheme's designed to shut him down and he still would go off. Do not sleep on him! He is a good kid who works hard and knows how to ball!

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, chknwing said:

I think Carolina is pretty set at WR.  I dont see them drafting one.  They didnt pick up Norwood for nothing and seem hell bent on keeping Hill around for whatever reason and Bersin still plays well outside of returning punts.  KB, Funch, Philly, Ginn are solid at the position, Norwood and crew are decent depth.  I seeing carolina targeting DE, S, CB, and oline positions if they dont go the BPA route.  I do see them making a move for Hunter Henry if hes there in the 2nd.

I see this, and I have had the same thoughts.  Then I see stats like the Panthers led the league in dropped pass yardage,  I do not see a Steve Smith--a player who can take any pass to the house at any given time.   That is why I would love for Byrd to develop or to have a Shepherd.

Then I consider that Funchess is getting a year older, KB is coming back, and the WR farm is going to produce 1 more player for us.  I also consider the fact that Ginn was our #1 WR--Ted Ginn---on a 15-1 team.  Kinda blows your mind.

The glaring need for the panthers is protection for Cam.  We are all used to him pulling himself up off the ground and shaking it off.  He is the only player on the team where an injury kills all hopes on the season.  Carolina has to get him better protection no matter the cost.  I would be perfectly fine with carolina giving up their 2nd rounder or whatever to move up and take one of the better OTs in the draft.  Gettlemen says no team is one player away but at the same time a team can be one player away from injury to having to fold on a season.

Getting KB back will be huge for our WR corps.  But we lost the super bowl due to a lack of available talent and depth at WR, RB, and OT.  That Cam dragged those subpar groups to 17 wins in 18 games and being ranked as the #1 offense in the league is a testament to how great he is - it should not be taken as evidence that we don't need help at all of those positions.

Over the next few years, Gettleman will find a way to add or develop:

A dependable slot WR - that can get open quickly and generate YAC

An heir to Jonathan Stewart who can share the load until it is his time

A backup and eventual replacement for Olsen

Dependable tackles - at one or both spots

In some cases, the answer may already be on the roster (D. Williams?).  In the case of a true slot WR, I don't think we have anyone that can fill that role.  We could do a much better job of giving Cam quick, easy, high percentage throws.  It will keep him healthy, keep the chains moving, and protect our offensive line.  I'm hoping we address the need soon as I think it is critical (for all of his many contributions, Cotchery cost us the SB).  But DG is playing the long game and he'll address it when the value is right.

• Pie 1

I've had a chance to make some progress on a WR potential draft availability analysis.  Here's what it looks like so far based on about 18-20 mock drafts at fanspeak using all of the different boards.  I'm hoping to also look at and add in results from mock drafts by various analysts in the next few days instead of just relying on the fanspeak drafts.

I'll include more details and comments over in the NFL draft board in the next few days.

Doctson and Thomas could be available to us at the end of round 1. 

Shepard shows up as being always available in round 1, and available to us at our pick in the 2nd 40% of the time, but that number has been trending down in the most recent drafts and on the boards that have been updated most recently.   Now down to more like 30% in the 2nd.  So, not sure we could count on getting him without trading up.

Cooper is getting snagged above our pick in round 3 about half the time, but sometimes falling into round 4.

The picks on Listenbee are pretty varied.  Looks like he should usually be there when we pick in round 4, and almost 50% of the time when we pick in round 5.

WR_availability.png

(Players names in bold and a bold rectangle around the percentage availability meant that the player was BPA on the board when Panthers picked in a given mock, and so I selected him.)

Edited by KB_fan
  • Pie 9

Really like Shepard, but I have a hard time believing he'll be available to us in the second barring a Funchess-esque trade. Being a top 5-6 WR in a poor offensive draft, if a team thinks he can be an OBJ-type player he could go in the first a la Agholor last year (who was also a late riser).

Cooper I like as well, but I have similar fears about him going late third ahead of us. Funny how a lot of these guys seem just out of reach, but then someone always falls. 

• Pie 1