• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2016 Panthers Schedule - Thoughts and Musings

Jeremy Igo

i can see a 10-6 or 9-7 season but also can see a 12-4 and 14-2 season, it'll will be tough to repeat but it all comes down to the draft, we find some playmakers in key positions and were set to be back in the playoffs and a shot at the superbowl.

after looking at the schedule i wouldn't mind de,ss, and cb with 2 of the first 3 picks.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, PhillyB said:

maybe they were potent as a whole. he'd have to really crash hard for them to not still be formidable 

I hope it doesn't happen this way, but I saw a little Jake meltdown from him in the NFCC game...he is 36 and has had some injury history.

We shall see.

i think this team is gonna go 16-0. doesn't matter who it is, i think we are pissed are we are gonna break some teams into pieces this year. had the same feeling before the seattle playoff game. if you thought we were villains last year we are gonna be one of the most hated teams ever by the end of next season. why? because we're not just gonna beat teams anymore we're gonna josh norman-OBJ them. we're gonna be punking teams and brawling teams and just ending them. scorched earth to the super bowl take no prisoners all revenge will be taken.

• Pie 2

you appear to be seriously understimating our divisional rivals on the road. i mean... this year we lost to atlanta. and were losing to new orleans with 45 seconds left in the game.

the toughest stretch of the season is by far the first 6 weeks with three division games (two on the road against the better teams), denver, and minnesota.

think 10-6 is the floor but i'm probably predicting 12-4.

22 minutes ago, Zithers said:

you appear to be seriously understimating our divisional rivals on the road. i mean... this year we lost to atlanta. and were losing to new orleans with 45 seconds left in the game.

the toughest stretch of the season is by far the first 6 weeks with three division games (two on the road against the better teams), denver, and minnesota.

Meh.  Any Given Sunday maybe, but their ineptitude was not only clear in finishing 7 or more games back last year, but the sheer desperation shown and highlighted in their off seasons and discussed in the free agent thread.  On paper with KB returning, Cam only growing closer to his prime, Brees now 37, and the Falcons highest paid defensive player now backup here, I'd say we're in good shape.

PS-we have a winning record all time in New Orleans and I'm GLAD we get them both earlier on the road this year-it reduces the chances of attrition for the superior football team, i.e. Stew missing the game in ATL last year.  If he plays, we win.

6 minutes ago, ctrcat said:

Meh.  Any Given Sunday maybe, but their ineptitude was not only clear in finishing 7 or more games back last year, but the sheer desperation shown and highlighted in their off seasons and discussed in the free agent thread.  On paper with KB returning, Cam only growing closer to his prime, Brees now 37, and the Falcons highest paid defensive player now backup here, I'd say we're in good shape.

PS-we have a winning record all time in New Orleans and I'm GLAD we get them both earlier on the road this year-it reduces the chances of attrition for the superior football team, i.e. Stew missing the game in ATL last year.  If he plays, we win.

i... don't think i ever said we're not in good shape or that we are worse than them. i said to not underestimate rivals on the road. and i don't know what basis you have to say we'd win if stew were playing in ATL. furthermore, players are just as likely to get hurt early in the season as they are later in the year. i mean drew brees got hurt in the first month which allowed us to face luke mccown, who almost beat us... in charlotte... imagine what would have happened if they had brees. who, btw, people continuously say is "done" and yet he still plays well every year.

basically you are reinforcing my original point of people underestimating the saints and falcons on the road.

9 hours ago, Zithers said:

I agree with this.  I think that having 3 division games back to back to back that early in the season is tough.  I could see a L at the Superdome.  We were pretty fortunate to beat the Saints twice last year.  Yes I know we're the better team by far, but divisional games are a different creature.

I also don't like the Christmas Eve game against Atlanta on Saturday after MNF.  Christmas week, bad weather & bowl games messed up our practice routines prior to our loss at Atlanta last year and I fear this year could be something similar.  (...though presumably Cam will not be dealing with a brand new baby this year!)

Not saying I really think we lose both of these games, just that they're danger spots I see.

Right now I have our floor as about 12-4, but could easily see 14-2 or hopefully better.  I would love to see us make another run at undefeated, but while we're bringing back almost the whole team, I'm just not sure it's realistic to expect another season like last year.  We all know that games can be swung on one or two plays... (witness the Super Bowl, if that call hadn't gone against Cotch early in the game... it could have been a very different game.)  Last year we had so many KEY plays go our way (J-No end zone interception against NO; the blown coverage by Seattle that led to the stunning TD to win over Seattle; TD's onsides kick catch against Seattle in the playoffs, TD's interception of Rodgers.  Luke's interception in overtime against the Colts...)  These were plays that saved games we could have quite easily lost.  Miss one or two of those plays and we could have been 14-2 or 13-3.  

But hey, great teams make great plays when it matters.  I expect we'll do the same in 2016 and we'll win a lot of exciting games.  We play some good teams (6 playoff teams), we'll be getting a lot of primetime airtime...   Should be a GREAT season!

Just had a somewhat random schedule-related thought / question pop into my mind.

Has CLT ever hosted a Christmas Eve game?  If so, what's the attendance like? 

I would think that with holiday travel, family gatherings, church commitments, etc., Christmas Eve could be low attendance?  Probably helps attendance that it's against a hated division rival - Atlanta.  But if we're not playing for anything much at this point (i.e. if we have the division / playoff spot / seed already locked up) I worry that it could be a less-than-capacity crowd.

Any reason to be concerned?