• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers will select one of these four prospects in round one of the NFL Draft.

Jeremy Igo

26 minutes ago, Bartin said:

At WR, assuming we would take a speedster, he probably is behind Ginn in the pecking order for a year then takes over in 2017 when Ginn is a free agent. Obviously they would see the field a decent amount but probably not much more than a RB backing up Stewart.

DEs usually aren't start right away players especially where we would be taking them. He would be a rotational player in 2016.

Basically at any position other than SS and P, our 1st round pick is a rotational player who will turn into a starter in 2017. It's similar to Shaq although he was technically a starter he only played 30% of the snaps and doesn't figure to see a big uptick until TD retires.

There are plenty of starter spots that figure to open up in 2017(Norman at CB, CJ at DE, Ginn at WR, Stew at RB, possibly Oher at OT and Kalil at C could decide to retire) but not really much for 2016. We will likely re-sign a couple of those but if we pick a guy in the 1st at one of those positions then you can expect the corresponding vet to be playing their last year here.

It's not like Ginn is world beater, Ginn got beat out by a rookie John Brown in Arizona and he wasn't a first round pick. Kelvin beat out every reciever on the roster his rookie season also.

DE might be a little tricky since we brought back Johnson and Rivera likes his vets and Addison and Alexander are still there.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Do you realize that telling us you know better than Gettleman is absolutely hilarious?

The comments surrounding not picking Derrick Henry sound reminiscent of the reasons for NOT selecting another Heisman Trophy winner on this team. 

I think we forget that Gettlemagic is not about happens in the first round. It's what happens in the rounds after it. 

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Jim Brown is one of the best ever to play the game. Is Derrick Henry Jim Brown? I don't fuging know but probability says he is likely not. 

Again you are gambling your first round pick on the fact that Henry will be the EXCEPTION not the rule.

I'm NOT saying Henry won't be good, because I don't know (no one really knows), but I'm just not willing to gamble our first rounder on him. Not when we are so close to winning the whole thing.  

I'm certainly not comparing Henry to Brown. I'm thinking Henry is a bigger risk than guys like Butler or Ogbah. IMO Elliot is the only safe RB pick in the 1st, but at the same time I don't think Henry's size is necessarily a reason to cross him off your RB list. 

1 minute ago, caatfan said:

I'm certainly not comparing Henry to Brown. I'm thinking Henry is a bigger risk than guys like Butler or Ogbah. IMO Elliot is the only safe RB pick in the 1st, but at the same time I don't think Henry's size is necessarily a reason to cross him off your RB list. 

I actually wasn't referring to you I was referring to Zod, but yea I agree with your post 

1 hour ago, csx said:

Nobody we take at our spot is starting over KB, Funches, and Ginn.

The chance of taking a receiver after taking on in 1st and 2nd the past two years is going to be very low.

Perfectly rational comment.  But I do confess I find Sterling Shepard a REALLY enticing prospect and think he could bring something special to our offense.  I'd be excited if we draft him.

So, I could see him as a pick - but more likely in round 2. 

Pretty sure we'll go DE/DT or slim possibility of OT in round 1 (most mock drafts don't usually have an OT in the mix as BPA at our pick in the 1st). 

If the DEs/DTs & OTs with round 1 grades on our board are gone, then that opens the door for a S, a WR, or possibly a CB (Alexander or Jackson?), or either Derrick Henry or Hunter.  

14 minutes ago, caatfan said:

And neither could compete in today's NFL. Right. 

Csonka wouldn't be a RB, that much I can say. Having watched him play, Csonka would not bounce off 320lb. DTs like he did the ones in his day. Brown could. But he was also a better athlete than anyone he played against. It's not the same for any players to be compared to players from 40-50 years ago. Not when the question is if the player from today can play, today. I don't care if we take Henry or not. But bringing up players in completely different eras makes no sense. Either way.

26 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

It's not like Ginn is world beater, Ginn got beat out by a rookie John Brown in Arizona and he wasn't a first round pick. Kelvin beat out every reciever on the roster his rookie season also.

DE might be a little tricky since we brought back Johnson and Rivera likes his vets and Addison and Alexander are still there.

That's true, but Ginn is established here whereas he wasn't in AZ so he and Brown both went in as new players in competition. Here, as you said, Rivera likes his vets and Cam has a rapport with Ted.

I'm going to assume you meant Ealy instead of Alexander. Don't think we will be seeing Frank back around here.

1 hour ago, csx said:

Nobody we take at our spot is starting over KB, Funches, and Ginn.

The chance of taking a receiver after taking on in 1st and 2nd the past two years is going to be very low.

Not necessarily, we still don't have a slot guy.  Funchess can play slot, but he's better suited to the outside.  And neither Ginn nor KB are made for the slot either.  But if Coleman drops, he fits the slot quite well, and could add a dynamic element to our offense that we currently don't have.  But other than him (or maybe Shepard, who doesn't look to be in play at 30), I agree that no other receiver will come in and start.

Nevertheless, unless someone drops, I think either Butler or Ogbah will be the pick.  DL is probably our biggest need when you consider Gettleman's philosophy of defense starting with pressure upfront...and the fact that Ealy is now our most reliable complete DE.  We can't count on CJ's health, and other than Ealy, we really don't have anyone else that can play both the run and pass effectively. 

The best and highly rated football Player of those four is Vernon Butler. NFL.com is comparing him to Muhammad Wilkerson. If not for the tremendous  DT depth this year, he would be a top 15 pick any other year. I find it hard to believe he gets past the BJ Raji-less Packers but if he's there at 30, we take him.

1 hour ago, DelhommesTheMan said:

CB and Center, and LT are probably our most pressing upcoming needs.  Kalil will be gone next year and that is a huge hole to fill.  Fortunately this is a very strong draft class for Centers and i wouldn't even rule out Ryan Kelly at 30.   I wouldn't be upset with that pick at all and im surprised he's not mocked to us more often.  As far as trading up in the second round from pick 31, that's going to cost us big, how far up do you honestly think we can get up too without giving all of our draft picks plus picks next years picks?  

As long as we jump in front of Atlanta again and steal their second round pick I don't care how much it will cost.