• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Four Carolina Panthers Round Two Prospects

Jeremy Igo

Yesterday I laid out for you four Carolina Panthers first round prospects, one of which will be chosen. Today I give you four prospects for round two. 

But....

There is a possibility Dave Gettleman trades up in the second to grab a guy like Hunter Henry or Derrick Henry, as both are first round talents. We saw him do this exact thing last year with Devin Funchess. Gettleman knows how difficult it will be for rookies to even make this team. Therefore, trade up, have fewer but higher quality rookies. 

Many other teams need 7 draft picks to build their teams. At the moment, the Panthers do not. The chance that Gettleman is forced to cut a current year draft pick this season is high. 

That said.... here are four guys I like for the Carolina Panthers in round two...

Sterling Shepard

Wide Receiver - Oklahoma

5'10 194lbs

In a perfect world, Shepard is there for the Panthers to select without the need to trade up. I doubt that happens, but Shepard could last until the mid second round and lessen the cost of moving up to get him. 

Shepard represents the final piece of what the Panthers passing offense has needed, namely a shifty sure handed slot receiver. The combination of Benjamin, Funchess, and Shepard would suddenly give the Panthers one of the better starting WR corps in the division. Amazing, considering where they were two years ago. 

Von Bell 

Strong Safety - Ohio State

5-11 199

Another position that a second round rookie can step in and make an immediate impact is at strong safety. With the departure of Roman Harper, Tre Boston is the starter and depth after him is lacking. Bell's experience at Ohio State and playing in big games has prepared him to play immediately in the NFL. 

Bell would immediately compete for that starting position. Bell also has the ability to move to nickel, which has to be enticing to Ron Rivera. 

Bell is stronger in run support than coverage, but is no slouch either when covering the deep ball. Think of him as a faster Roman Harper. 

Su'a Cravens

Linebacker/Safety USC

6'1 226lbs

Some folks have Cravens as a first rounder, but I don't see it. Guys that don't fit perfectly into a NFL mold rarely are a first round pick. These tweeners are a higher risk. Some will point to Shaq Thompson last season, but Thompson fit the linebacker mold much more clearly than Cravens does. 

That said, Cravens would be a good value in the second round. The Panthers would likely plug him in at strong safety where he would play on running downs. 

Bonus: Cravens would instantly bolster the Panthers special teams unit, we all know how much Gettleman would love that. 

Germain Ifedi 

Offensive Tackle / Guard - Texas A&M

6'6 324

No, Ifedi probably won't be there at pick 62. But, again, I see Gettleman moving up in the second round again this season. There is a significant drop off in talent at around the mid second round mark. If Gettleman wants two rookies that are locks to make this team and contribute, he will need to move up in the second. 

Ifedi would add depth at right tackle for the Panthers, and could also fill in as a backup guard. But what about left tackle you ask? I predict Daryl Williams, already on the Panthers roster, to be the eventual replacement for Michael Oher. 

There you have it, four guys I like in round two... some coming at a higher cost. 

View full article

• Pie 9

I really want Sterling Shepard in the second. I think he'll become our Smitty 2.0. He runs routes at a pro level, something our team desperately needs, and he plays like Smitty. He's gonna be worth it in the long run if we get him. Make it happen Gman!

shep22.gif