• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Don't look for a big move to replace Josh Norman

Jeremy Igo

34 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Maybe Fuller in the second. 

Gettleman will not pass up on a first round talent he likes for a second round corner. 

You do know Fuller is predicted to go in the first right? 

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Kendall-Fullers-NFL-Draft-stock-continues-to-rise-376273221.html

Sigh, and you want to revoke my thread making privileges for your lack of knowledge?  SMH.  

3 hours ago, nctarheel0619 said:

You do know Fuller is predicted to go in the first right? 

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Kendall-Fullers-NFL-Draft-stock-continues-to-rise-376273221.html

Sigh, and you want to revoke my thread making privileges for your lack of knowledge?  SMH.  

He isn't a first rounder on the Panthers radar. If he was selected it would be a reach over guys they like in the first round. 

Pipe down or you are deleted, junior. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

He isn't a first rounder on the Panthers radar. If he was selected it would be a reach over guys they like in the first round. 

Pipe down or you are deleted, junior. 

Well, then say he's not on the Panthers radar in the first round.  Don't say he's not a first round pick, when clearly, some team will take him in the first.

And it's not that serious man, somebody needs to take you down from your high horse on occasion.  

35 minutes ago, the_philosopher said:

All I want to know is why does everyone call them "corners?" We never say, "Cam is a great quarter," or "Wonder if we'll draft a running this year." 

JMHO, but cornerback and quarterback sound so alike, it's easier for people to distinguish between the two by calling them a corner.

I trust Getts does and will make the right decisions for our franchise.  But, I just fear this one was a gamble that we lost.  Boykin was an incredible addition, and I say addition with the idea that Josh was going to be here.  We didn't have nearly the depth there that we do elsewhere, not to mention it was our best defensive back from an athletic and talent standpoint. 

We'll see, but I hope hardball doesn't cost us this time. 

3 hours ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Na, I just think he'll be overvalued.  

Teams are corner needy.  

He is projected anywhere from rounds 1 all the way to 3. 

I don't think Gettleman spends a first on a guy like that because of need. He would much rather trust his scouts and find another Bene in middle rounds. 

30 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Once again, it won't change the draft strategy, nor should it. That's how a GM fugs his team up. 

I'll take a top group in our front seven, than the opposite.

I'll just take the most balanced team I can get by devising a plan of action by evaluating the pieces that I have. In short: adapt to the situation at hand and not pigeonhole myself by my own stubborn philosophy (not saying that Gettleman does or does not do this).

For example, I can't necessarily say that Gettleman would have let a true shutdown corner walk so easily, but that's just me. Maybe he does let Prime walk away in his prime. I just don't feel that we have enough information or body of work to say that Getty will pick the D-line over the secondary every single time. But, maybe he does. 

We will stay competitive like  @Jeremy Igo said, that's for sure, but if Gettleman is as inflexible as some of you suggests that he is in reference to his general D-line-secondary valuation, will we win the big one?

On an off note, for some reason the @ function ain't working for me.

Edited by top dawg

1 hour ago, cgcp84 said:

That may be all good playing against teams like Seattle and San Fran this year, but going against these offenses with Brees, Julio, Palmer, even Jameis, etc. you need great play at the corner positions.  I was already a little worried about Bene moving outside this year.  Hope we at least go CB in round 1.

To everyone freaking out, keep in mind that we had 12-win and 15-win seasons 3 years apart with completely different secondaries (JNo didn't play for a lot of 2013). If your system doesn't put emphasis on secondary, then don't pay corners 16m. Love the guy. He's a great person, a great player, and had a hell of a season, but something would have to give somewhere else on the roster to keep him at that number.  

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'll just take the most balanced team I can get by devising a plan of action by evaluating the pieces that I have. In short: adapt to the situation at hand and not pigeonhole myself by my own stubborn philosophy (not saying that Gettleman does or does not do this).

For example, I can't necessarily say that Gettleman would have let a true shutdown corner walk so easily, but that's just me. Maybe he does let Prime walk away in his prime. I just don't feel that we have enough information or body of work to say that Getty will pick the D-line over the secondary every single time. But, maybe he does. 

We will stay competitive like  @Jeremy Igo said, that's for sure, but if Gettleman is as inflexible as some of you suggests that he is in reference to his general D-line-secondary valuation, will we win the big one?

On an off note, for some reason the @ function ain't working for me.

Yes.

24 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

He is projected anywhere from rounds 1 all the way to 3. 

I don't think Gettleman spends a first on a guy like that because of need. He would much rather trust his scouts and find another Bene in middle rounds. 

That's fair.  I hope you're right, but Hell, all of us didn't see him making that risky decision last evening.  So who knows?  

The Panthers lost the super bowl because of a lack of playmaking at WR position, along with a lack of ability at another position that was projected to do poorly. 

That isn't the first time where us being team Mr. Joe Cool hard ball penny pincher had ended up costing us either.  The 2014 team was a regressive debacle because we "believed" in the guys on the roster and did nothing to make the team better.

This was done out of pride. It looks as if Gettleman thought Norman would hit the market, be laughed at, and come running back with his tail between his legs. Instead a 4th of the league and likely much more have shown interest. 

We are worse off for this.

Edited by Growl