• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Don't look for a big move to replace Josh Norman

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Not sure if this has been stated yet, but I KNOW we are probably will not bring in another free agent this year.  If we do, we lose a 3rd round comp pick.

We lost 2 (Nortman and Valasco) and we gained 2 (Boykin and Gradkowski) before we lost Norman.  So, if we sign another free agent--probably a marginal, old player, we lose the third rounder.  So we ain't grabbin nobody.  We will address the need by drafting a cb or 2.

I don't believe it works that way. It's the difference between the perceived and actual value of the player lost to the value of the player brought in that is what's used for determining comp picks. If Josh gets his $16 million per year that he's looking for, and we bring in a vet for around $2 million (like Getts is notorious for at this point), we would have a differential of $14 million. That amount is then factored into their computation for which round of comp pick we get.

So, we could sign a corner, and still get the pick. We just couldn't sign someone who is asking for $12 million per year and retain a 3rd rounder. Otherwise, teams would never sign free agents for fear of losing out on more draft picks. The Patriots do this consistently, by letting their higher-priced guys go to other teams, and yet they always seem to have a bunch of comp picks every year to help them replace said players. It's an effective and smart way to handle free agency.

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Not sure if this has been stated yet, but I KNOW we are probably will not bring in another free agent this year.  If we do, we lose a 3rd round comp pick.

We lost 2 (Nortman and Valasco) and we gained 2 (Boykin and Gradkowski) before we lost Norman.  So, if we sign another free agent--probably a marginal, old player, we lose the third rounder.  So we ain't grabbin nobody.  We will address the need by drafting a cb or 2.

What about Soliai? He was our most expensive hire. I hope we arent so attached to the possibility of comp picks that we are adverse to filling holes. I don't think it's as simple as one cancelling another.

Edited by csx

28 minutes ago, csx said:

What about Soliai? He was our most expensive hire. I hope we arent so attached to the possibility of comp picks that we are adverse to filling holes. I don't think it's as simple as one cancelling another.

Soliai was released so he doesn't count in the comp pick formula. It's only players whose contracts expired or were voided. No doubt we will fill the hole at CB, but doing so and giving up a 3rd round pick would be irresponsible so there are ways to fill the hole without having it count against a comp pick. We can either sign a guy that was released like Cortez Allen or we can wait until after May 12th to sign anyone because that is the cut off date for counting in the comp pick formula. Since it's already at the end of April we should just wait until after May 12th to make any UFA signings.

Just now, Panthers8969 said:

who tf is stopping julio? I fear teams like the steelers will eat the secondary up and we don't have an elite pass rush to cover for the slightly above average- average secondary we currently have

Matt Ryan is stopping Julio.

• Pie 3

14 hours ago, Raskle said:

I don't believe it works that way. It's the difference between the perceived and actual value of the player lost to the value of the player brought in that is what's used for determining comp picks. If Josh gets his $16 million per year that he's looking for, and we bring in a vet for around $2 million (like Getts is notorious for at this point), we would have a differential of $14 million. That amount is then factored into their computation for which round of comp pick we get.

So, we could sign a corner, and still get the pick. We just couldn't sign someone who is asking for $12 million per year and retain a 3rd rounder. Otherwise, teams would never sign free agents for fear of losing out on more draft picks. The Patriots do this consistently, by letting their higher-priced guys go to other teams, and yet they always seem to have a bunch of comp picks every year to help them replace said players. It's an effective and smart way to handle free agency.

" a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year ." That threw me---you are probably right about value.

The process is not clear, but the way this reads and one writer interpreted this) it appears to begin with the number of players lost to other teams vs the number gained from other teams.  You could be right, but the formula is confusing and there are mixed messages being sent out.

My thing is this--who is out there? 

We have the veteran CBs we need (Boykin, Bene, McClain) and really only need a rookie CB to add to the mix.  Maybe 2 rookies. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, MHS831 said:

" a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year ." That threw me---you are probably right about value.

The process is not clear, but the way this reads and one writer interpreted this) it appears to begin with the number of players lost to other teams vs the number gained from other teams.  You could be right, but the formula is confusing and there are mixed messages being sent out.

My thing is this--who is out there? 

We have the veteran CBs we need (Boykin, Bene, McClain) and really only need a rookie CB to add to the mix.  Maybe 2 rookies. 

And what makes it even more confusing and difficult to track, is that they have never released their formula for the comp picks process. So, in actuality, it may just be a couple of the NFL top dogs shooting spitballs at a dart board, or a back room deal (which would explain the Pats getting so many picks over the years. Heh!)

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, Panthers8969 said:

lol, unfortunately I don't think Ryan is that bad. They were the only team to beat us last year and they will most likely be better this year

Yeah but there were a lot of context to that game.. That team is not on our level..